Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,369,795 times

Advertisements

long isle:
Quote:
For every direlict immigrant there are many more that want the same opportunity that was afforded to the previous generations of immigrants despite their sect of criminals.
That's fine as long as they come here legally. Those who come here legally learn American history, our language, become citizens of our country and assimilate into our culture. Those who come here illegally push themselves to the front of the line and demand to be taken care of courtesy of the American taxpayer. They have no desire to assimilate and for the most part their only contribution to our society is crime, poverty, overcrowding our schools and bankrupting our social welfare system. This is just not sustainable there is not enough to go around in the United States to support the entire world's indigent population without lowering the standard of living for all who are forced to support them. Which will eventually turn the United States into the same third world country that all of these invaders came from. Not to mention that with open borders we have absolutely no idea who is coming into this country. When people fail to assimilate into our culture and way of life the United States will become a country of foreign nations and with it their centuries old culture clashes. We can not allow this country to become "Balkanized".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
long isle:

That's fine as long as they come here legally. Those who come here legally learn American history, our language, become citizens of our country and assimilate into our culture. Those who come here illegally push themselves to the front of the line and demand to be taken care of courtesy of the American taxpayer. They have no desire to assimilate and for the most part their only contribution to our society is crime, poverty, overcrowding our schools and bankrupting our social welfare system. This is just not sustainable there is not enough to go around in the United States to support the entire world's indigent population without lowering the standard of living for all who are forced to support them. Which will eventually turn the United States into the same third world country that all of these invaders came from. Not to mention that with open borders we have absolutely no idea who is coming into this country. When people fail to assimilate into our culture and way of life the United States will become a country of foreign nations and with it their centuries old culture clashes. We can not allow this country to become "Balkanized".
Perhaps the best bet would be to build an Ellis Island type entry point on the Mexican frontier like they did for the illegals that were flooding the borders in the past. If you go down to Florida or Texas there is a thriving assimilated population of Hispanics due to having roots there forever. Just like every ethnic group the 2nd generation will be much more "American" and perhaps the natives will be more accepting.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,369,795 times
long isle:
Quote:
Perhaps the best bet would be to build an Ellis Island type entry point on the Mexican frontier like they did for the illegals that were flooding the borders in the past.
Not a bad idea as long as they close the rest of the border. To me it does not matter what nationality or race an individual is as long as they have a means to support themselves and are willing to become American citizens legally, not through blanket amnesty. Blanket amnesty would only reward those who have invaded this country and encourage others to do so. I worked with a man from Columbia who became an American citizen, speaking to him you would never know that he was from Columbia it was as if he were born and raised here. He was just as American as those of us who were born here. One language, one people, one nation. A nation without borders is no nation at all. We've got to get a handle on this otherwise we are doomed.
Quote:
Just like every ethnic group the 2nd generation will be much more "American" and perhaps the natives will be more accepting.
Absolutely, one of the main reasons they are not accepted is that it is too easy for them to live here without having to assimilate. They can live in their own little enclaves throughout this country where everyone speaks their own native language while ignoring the fact that they are living in the United States of America. This only breeds racism and resentment. NYC is like a foreign country, my old neighborhood in Peekskill was becoming that way. We are giving this nation away to foreigners on a silver platter. This is total insanity and a recipe for disaster if we are to remain a free and prosperous nation.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,527,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This sounds like every ethnic group that is newly immersed into the usa. I know, they all embraced the culture and learned the language and didn't commit heinous crimes, right? Names like "with out papers" and "shanty" were just jokes and didn't pertain to any ethnic groups. There were no gangs back then either. These guys were just innocent hard working folks.

For every direlict immigrant there are many more that want the same opportunity that was afforded to the previous generations of immigrants despite their sect of criminals.
Wrong. It's been the same problem with every large influx of immigrants, which is why in the past the government took steps to limit the number of people teeming across our borders. Between about 1924 and 1965 we had very strict rules on the number and kind of immigrants that could come in, which allowed the prior generation of immigrants to assimilate. This is why little Italy used to be a large ethnic ghetto and is now one block of touristy restaurants. Meanwhile, Chinatown keeps growing in size as more Chinese make their way over, and neighborhoods once inhabited by working class black Americans are being taken over by Latinos with questionable immigation status (look up he changing demographics of once heavily black areas like Harlem or Compton).

Unlike in the past, too, our government and businesses are welcoming these new potential voters and cheap labor with open arms and an opportunity for taxpayer largess. The illegals of today don't just take the jobs of working class Americans, they drive down wages for the generation of immigrants before them (those Mexicans on your neighbor's roof? They're being paid too much!). And studies show that they are a net tax loss. But I guess we can fix those problems with volume!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,331,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you discussed the relo with the program coordinators? Often times they have outreach to other organizations and help lines that you would not otherwise know about.
Yes they know about it, but I was told absolutely no move could be done this year. As for next year, it's a maybe.
And that is IF they can cover the moving expenses (otherwise I'd have to pay for movers & am not in a financial position to do so) and IF a place can be found at the rate at which they can pay (market rate).
As I've said before, summer is over, but it is next summer I fear, esp if NICE cuts alot of bus service.
The one thing that's kept me here over the years was decent bus service (for Nassau County) anyways, both the n22 & 35 run till fairly late at night (11pm). But with buses not showing up & rumors of cuts coming next year (because they are losing $$ and riders) I cannot count on these buses being there for me next year.
Then I'm forced to use the LIRR more (and I already am) and deal with those men by the station.
Once it gets cold they wont be around, but once summer comes they're out in force just milling around & causing trouble. And of course we know the LIRR service in Westbury isn't all that frequent.
It's not a good situation for someone who suffers from Depression & Anxiety Disorder to be in. But money always comes before everything, even someone's well being.
It doesn't help that I have few friends and am pretty much on my own without much help with getting to the supermarket or laundry.
At least towns like Bellmore, Merrick, Seaford, Massapequa, Rockville Centre, offer more within walking distance which makes life easier, as well as better LIRR service.
Mineola (and maybe even Floral Park) are options too. Floral Park has lousy LIRR service though (worse than Westbury) but being near the City Line means I could use city buses to the subway which are very frequent.
Staying here is a last resort, but I fear I may not have a choice, and be given a "take it or leave it" approach, forcing me to leave the island just to avoid having to live in a ghetto area.
Also living somewhere without a sense of community such as Westbury is hard for someone alone like me. People here are very insular, they don't care what's happening around them. The Mayor runs unopposed every election along with the Village Board. This "Action Party" takes no action when it comes to addressing the vagrancy, housing, and other QOL issues in the town. They want to revitalize the Village but people aren't going to come here with suspicious men with shifty eyes up to no good just hanging around town.
It's really too much for someone like me to deal with. I only wish the best for The Space and the businesses trying to make it in this town, I just wish there'd be an aggressive enforcement of the village codes, and yes, loitering & public intoxication is against village code, as well as open fires. So is illegal housing, but they never seem to enforce what's on the books.
This village needs a new administration to start aggressive enforcement, Patchogue has actually done it and their downtown is now bustling with new people and business. I'm too ill to handle a public office, but if I wasn't rest assured I would try and run against the Mayor. The Strada/Cavallaro regime coddles criminals, it's evident. And he knows I post this stuff on the web. I hope if he is reading this he will open his eyes and see what's going on. His vision of a revitalized town can't happen as long as these men are here hanging around.
And yes I've sent plenty of letters to him & the village. Even went down and met with Public Safety in person. Their attitude is that they can't do anything.
Well I've rambled on enough, I think I just have to hope for the best & do lots of praying.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Wrong. It's been the same problem with every large influx of immigrants, which is why in the past the government took steps to limit the number of people teeming across our borders. Between about 1924 and 1965 we had very strict rules on the number and kind of immigrants that could come in, which allowed the prior generation of immigrants to assimilate. This is why little Italy used to be a large ethnic ghetto and is now one block of touristy restaurants. Meanwhile, Chinatown keeps growing in size as more Chinese make their way over, and neighborhoods once inhabited by working class black Americans are being taken over by Latinos with questionable immigation status (look up he changing demographics of once heavily black areas like Harlem or Compton).

Unlike in the past, too, our government and businesses are welcoming these new potential voters and cheap labor with open arms and an opportunity for taxpayer largess. The illegals of today don't just take the jobs of working class Americans, they drive down wages for the generation of immigrants before them (those Mexicans on your neighbor's roof? They're being paid too much!). And studies show that they are a net tax loss. But I guess we can fix those problems with volume!
It took the Italians several generations to truly assimilate and they are the most violent group of gangsters in our history. Now most real Italians in NY are retiring and moving to florida or other low COL area. It took a long time. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Colombian, ect have assimilated quite well I'd say. The Central American newbies will do the same. Give it 15-20 years and then we can put up with them complaining about the new illegals ruining it for their kids.
The Chinese are in a class of their own but, they have been here longer than most so you can't complain.
The real culprits are the US citizens that are not enforcing the laws of this land. How can you fault someone for trying to live better.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Yes they know about it, but I was told absolutely no move could be done this year. As for next year, it's a maybe.
And that is IF they can cover the moving expenses (otherwise I'd have to pay for movers & am not in a financial position to do so) and IF a place can be found at the rate at which they can pay (market rate).
As I've said before, summer is over, but it is next summer I fear, esp if NICE cuts alot of bus service.
The one thing that's kept me here over the years was decent bus service (for Nassau County) anyways, both the n22 & 35 run till fairly late at night (11pm). But with buses not showing up & rumors of cuts coming next year (because they are losing $$ and riders) I cannot count on these buses being there for me next year.
Then I'm forced to use the LIRR more (and I already am) and deal with those men by the station.
Once it gets cold they wont be around, but once summer comes they're out in force just milling around & causing trouble. And of course we know the LIRR service in Westbury isn't all that frequent.
It's not a good situation for someone who suffers from Depression & Anxiety Disorder to be in. But money always comes before everything, even someone's well being.
It doesn't help that I have few friends and am pretty much on my own without much help with getting to the supermarket or laundry.
At least towns like Bellmore, Merrick, Seaford, Massapequa, Rockville Centre, offer more within walking distance which makes life easier, as well as better LIRR service.
Mineola (and maybe even Floral Park) are options too. Floral Park has lousy LIRR service though (worse than Westbury) but being near the City Line means I could use city buses to the subway which are very frequent.
Staying here is a last resort, but I fear I may not have a choice, and be given a "take it or leave it" approach, forcing me to leave the island just to avoid having to live in a ghetto area.
Also living somewhere without a sense of community such as Westbury is hard for someone alone like me. People here are very insular, they don't care what's happening around them. The Mayor runs unopposed every election along with the Village Board. This "Action Party" takes no action when it comes to addressing the vagrancy, housing, and other QOL issues in the town. They want to revitalize the Village but people aren't going to come here with suspicious men with shifty eyes up to no good just hanging around town.
It's really too much for someone like me to deal with. I only wish the best for The Space and the businesses trying to make it in this town, I just wish there'd be an aggressive enforcement of the village codes, and yes, loitering & public intoxication is against village code, as well as open fires. So is illegal housing, but they never seem to enforce what's on the books.
This village needs a new administration to start aggressive enforcement, Patchogue has actually done it and their downtown is now bustling with new people and business. I'm too ill to handle a public office, but if I wasn't rest assured I would try and run against the Mayor. The Strada/Cavallaro regime coddles criminals, it's evident. And he knows I post this stuff on the web. I hope if he is reading this he will open his eyes and see what's going on. His vision of a revitalized town can't happen as long as these men are here hanging around.
And yes I've sent plenty of letters to him & the village. Even went down and met with Public Safety in person. Their attitude is that they can't do anything.
Well I've rambled on enough, I think I just have to hope for the best & do lots of praying.
Just my opinion and it doesn't excuse any criminal activity you've seen but, there are people all over the world fighting depression and anxiety, what makes you so special that the taxpayer has to shell out 1250month for your accommodations? Do you have a job with income? I have never heard of such a thing.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
Quote:
Just my opinion and it doesn't excuse any criminal activity you've seen but, there are people all over the world fighting depression and anxiety, what makes you so special that the taxpayer has to shell out 1250month for your accommodations? Do you have a job with income? I have never heard of such a thing.
Personally, I disagree with the above statement and wish John all the best. Unless you have experienced the daily struggle of a person who suffers with any kind of psychological problem you will never understand. I have in my in-laws family and I would not trade that life for anything. Those are some very personal questions and all I would say is how would you feel if they were asked of you? I don't want a response, it was just rhetorical.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 PM

615 posts, read 450,047 times
To the OP: Have you ever heard the phrase "beggars can't be choosers"?
Blunt but succinct. I suggest you focus on the positives of your life.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:29 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,214,526 times
Quote:
That is the problem with sites like these. We often have to deal with often cryptic & vague type of posts. Without really knowing the posters true story or situation.

That being said we should not judge people either. Every persons situation is unique. The statement you made is part of the reason there is a stigma with the mentally ill. No one can truly understand the problem until they hit it head on themselves. Do not judge John he is a good person who has just had his share of problems obviously & he like everyone with a mental illness & as an American citizen deserves the support that is out there for him. I would much rather the taxpayers help people like him than helping all these others that come form another country & them 7 their families have never paid a dime into our system at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island