Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM

413 posts, read 600,000 times

Advertisements

Interesting, Hempstead Tpke and Jericho Tpke do not have school zones. Thanks for the red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
....In the tri-state area, 1,242 pedestrians were killed between 2009-2011. Of these deaths, nearly 200 pedestrian deaths happened on Long Island, with 84 in Nassau County, and 110 Suffolk County....

Nice stats. Now compare those numbers to other regions with the density of vehicles per capita and it might mean something. LI is dangerous in general for pedestrians. What does this have to do with the blatant money grab where no documented safety crisis existed?!

And last but not least, a blog analysis from TSTC, an anti-automobile lobbying group advocating for expanded public transportation and car free streets (not that there is anything wrong with that as I agree with the need for more public transportation and walkability in general) but talk about a biased opinion! Their "analysis" has no backing and in fact has been proven to be false as many of the "school zone" accidents cited actually took place way outside where any camera would be.

People can slow down without big brother staring them down and fleecing their wallets in a transparent money grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM

198 posts, read 252,891 times
I think that one should not know where cameras are. In fact cameras should move from one location to another.
Hopefully the wrath of random vengeance can alter the dangerous behavior rather than force people into avoiding specific locations.

I agree that statistics is actually hiding the full picture ... and the full picture is that there are not many pedestrian accidents -- because there are no pedestrians. The reason there are no pedestrians is because they do not feel safe.

By the way changing speed a limit from 30 mph to 25 mph significantly increases one's chance of surviving a crash ...

Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM

200 posts, read 380,502 times
Quote:
I think that one should not know where cameras are. In fact cameras should move from one location to another.

I agree that statistics is actually hiding the full picture ... and the full picture is that there are not many pedestrian accidents -- because there are no pedestrians. The reason there are no pedestrians is because they do not feel safe.
Apparently, you have not been in places like Rockville Centre or Huntington Village. Tons of pedestrians. Long island is not NYC and as such, is not really a pedestrian friendly place to begin with, its suburbia and all that suburbia (read car-centric) implies.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM

This is actually what economists call a good tax ... i.e you are taxing the behavor that you do not want -- i.e speeding near school zones ... vs increasing taxes on corporations etc ... which is a bad tax -- because it discourages the behavior you do want ...
So i still do not see what the big deal is ...slow down

Old 10-10-2014, 12:30 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,802,710 times
Mailing off my absentee ballot application to be sure I get my vote in on 11/4. I'll be out of town on election day checking out my new kiss-off NY location. I will vote against any and all candidates who voted yes regardless of party.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 380,502 times
Sign the petition too! Link below in thread and I started a new thread with just the petition link.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:33 PM

592 posts, read 921,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeline31 View Post
Here’s how Long Island state legislators voted on a bill to install 125 school-zone speed cameras on the Island.

Remember them when you vote next month!
Thanks for the info. FYI- Carl Marcellino's district goes into Suffolk (Huntington) as well.

I'll be sure to remember his vote.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM

413 posts, read 600,000 times
Quote:
Hopefully the wrath of random vengeance can alter the dangerous behavior rather than force people into avoiding specific locations....
I agree. That would be enforcement, not a money grab.

Quote:
I agree that statistics is actually hiding the full picture ... and the full picture is that there are not many pedestrian accidents -- because there are no pedestrians. The reason there are no pedestrians is because they do not feel safe. ....
This might be the silliest post of the day and that's saying something around here!

Quote:
By the way changing speed a limit from 30 mph to 25 mph significantly increases one's chance of surviving a crash ...
True. So now it's about car crashes and not pedestrians in school zones. You're all over the place.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Apparently, you have not been in places like Rockville Centre or Huntington Village. Tons of pedestrians. Long island is not NYC and as such, is not really a pedestrian friendly place to begin with, its suburbia and all that suburbia (read car-centric) implies.
I live in Northport -- so I know there are safe areas -- and I love Huntington -- but my kid and nanny can not safely walk from our house to our elementary school which is 1 mile away --- it is crazy ...

Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,802,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Sign the petition too! Link below in thread and I started a new thread with just the petition link.
I signed the petition, but the problem with these sites is they send you a torrent of email after you sign anything. Participating means you're now a site member. It's hard getting off these lists, and ipetition has no working unsubscribe link in their emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island