Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times

Advertisements

As bad as Westbury can seem at times, Hempstead makes it look like Garden City.

Basically a NICE Bus driver was beat up for not allowing 2 passengers to ride for free, then later, the SAME BUS was shot at by Peninsula Blvd in Hempstead.
This never happened as much when MTA was around. This is what happens when you have alot of passengers who lack the proper manners in general, grew up in the 'hood, and make the bus service worse. I feel bad for the drivers who have to put up with it. If MTA was here we'd probably have driver shields like NYC has, and we need them!
At the same time Hempstead continues to get much worse, probably not even safe to ride the bus thru there anymore (even w/o changing at HTC).

NICE bus driver attacked; vehicle later shot, cops, officials say - Newsday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Disgusting!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times
Does anyone know where on Peninsula Blvd the firing happened?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,946 times
I think the MTA (after a few fare invasion incidents) have a policy where drivers are told not to fight for the fare. Sadly, it may not seem like the right policy in theory (what if everyone decides not to pay) but it isn't the driver's fare box and its certainly not worth being assaulted over. NICE may need to adopt a similar practice. I think its very scary that the perps had managed to get the bus number down, know the route it travels and set up shop somewhere along the route to shoot at the exact same bus.

I'm also curious where the shooting happened because I don't believe any of the NICE bus routes use Peninsula Blvd in Hempstead...not sure further down.

The bus terminal is filthy by the way...and Hempstead, well.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
bad town is bad.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:52 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Hempstead is the cesspool of Nassau County. What did you expect to come out of there?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:52 AM

159 posts, read 279,683 times
Wow, now that redefines GHETTO

Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 AM

167 posts, read 305,599 times
I don't even want to drive through Hempstead. I feel bad for Garden City-all those taxes and these are their neighbors...

Last edited by LIMom77; 11-14-2014 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
I don't even want to drive through Hempstead. I feel bad for Garden City-all those taxes and these are their neighbors...
I concur. The worst part about Garden City is how close it is to that Moderator cut: language removed Hempstead and the animals that live there. I really feel bad for the few decent people who have to live in that town. It's infested with thugs, criminals, gang members, illegals and degenerative people who live off up public assistance and have no desire to ever get off. I'm so fed up with these bottom feeders.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-14-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 AM
BTI

33 posts, read 67,805 times
NICE bus driver attacked in Hempstead; vehicle later shot, cops, officials say

The driver of a NICE bus on a Hempstead Town route was attacked by two passengers wanting free rides, then that same bus was hit by a bullet hours later, Hempstead Village police and bus officials said Thursday.

Candice Stevenson, 22, of Roosevelt, and Jennifer Kamara, 21, of Jamaica were each arraigned on second-degree assault Thursday as police continued investigating the shooting of the Nassau Inter-County Express bus.

In the attack, the southbound N40 bus was picking up passengers about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Hempstead Transit Center when the two women demanded free rides from the driver because they had no money, police said. N40 travels between Mineola and Freeport.

The driver informed them they could pay with a cellphone app that allows them to purchase tickets, but the women said their phones were dead, police said.

"The bus driver told them they had to pay," said Hempstead Deputy Chief Mark Matthews.

That's when Stevenson reached over to try to reach for free transfer tickets, and when the driver said "no," Stevenson punched her in the forehead, Matthews said.

After the driver said she was calling a NICE supervisor, she was punched by Kamara, and suffered a cut and swollen lip, he said.

"The operator was punched and bitten," according to a NICE statement. "No passengers were injured."
The driver, whose name was not released by police and NICE, was treated at a medical clinic and released, the bus company said.

Officers went to the bus and arrested the women, police said.

Then shortly before 8 p.m., another driver was in the same N40 bus, going north back to the Hempstead Transit Center, when he heard a noise but didn't know what it was, Matthews said.

A bullet shattered one of the small, upper window panes on one side of the bus, then exited out another small window pane on the opposite side, Matthews said.

NICE officials said a group of men approached the bus as it was on Peninsula Boulevard near Main Street and shot at the rear door glass door of the bus.

"All the passengers on the bus ducked," Matthews said. "One of the passengers said 'Keep going. They shot up the bus.' "

The driver headed straight back to the Hempstead Transit Center, police said.
About 25 passengers were on board, but no injuries, not even from broken glass, were reported, Matthews said.

No bullet fragments were found on the bus or at the scene, police said, adding that it was not clear if the two incidents were related.

"It could just be a coincidence," Matthews said. "I'm not thinking that these two girls actually took the bus . . . [vehicle] number down. And it was a different driver. It could be connected. It might not be. It's really hard to say."

Officials of the union representing the bus drivers could not be immediately reached Thursday evening.
Stevenson, of 62 Park Ave., and Kamara, of 825 Parson Blvd., were arraigned Thursday and each was held pending a $5,000 bail.

Kamara was represented by Legal Aid, which does not comment on cases, and Stevenson was to be assigned a Legal Aid attorney.

NICE bus driver attacked in Hempstead; vehicle later shot, cops, officials say - Newsday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island