Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

29 posts, read 29,494 times

Advertisements

I've searched within the board to find answers to my questions, but haven't been able to find any recent posts with current information, and since things change -- I figured, why not ask for advice myself.

We are a young multiracial family living in nassau county. At the present time, we are renting. I wanted to rent in an area prior to committing and buying in a place that we may not feel comfortable in. Originally being from Queens, we are used to diversity and we have lived outside of NY due to military lifestyle which has made us more interested in LI in terms of quality of life. Honestly, I wish I could say I was happy where I am at, but I feel like an outcast. Unfortunately, although we are hard-working and honest, because we are young and come from mixed backgrounds, we tend to stick out. It's not that we just "stick out" but its obvious people don't feel comfortable around us. People tend to "overlook" us as they pass us by in school events even though we have all been to the same functions for the past few years and we have always been polite to others. I would feel more comfortable in a neighborhood that had more diversity where my children didn't feel so different (we live near sunrise highway by Merrick).

We would like to buy a house in the future. Our most important factors are 1) good school district 2) low crime area 2) somewhat of mixed population 3) taxes that won't kill us ~$10,000/yr. As far as budget, I would like to spend no more than $500k (hopefully less). I know my list probably sounds like my head must be in the clouds, but is it really too much to ask? Like I said, we are both hard-working parents and just want a place to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,523,740 times
Unless you consider Asian kids diverse, you can have either good schools or diverse schools but not both.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,172,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Unless you consider Asian kids diverse, you can have either good schools or diverse schools but not both.
Overstated IMHO. Example:
Half Hollow Hills SD is diverse - yet manages to have an excellent reputation.

1,712 posts, read 2,911,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Wheatley Heights is around half white and half black and it's zoned for Half Hollow Hills School District; which is one of the top districts on Long Island.

lol so they get best of both worlds

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-11-2014 at 08:45 PM..

283 posts, read 582,055 times
Have you looked at New Hyde Park or Bellerose village?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Are you Asian and American or African-American and American? Important because I might lean toward a different district depending upon your response.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,954 times
If you're sincere and you're both "hardworking"parents I truly believe your feeling of people feeling uncomfortable around you is in your head. People are too busy in their own lives to care who you are - all they want are neighbors who are quiet and keep clean well maintained lawns and home.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM

167 posts, read 305,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
If you're sincere and you're both "hardworking"parents I truly believe your feeling of people feeling uncomfortable around you is in your head. People are too busy in their own lives to care who you are - all they want are neighbors who are quiet and keep clean well maintained lawns and home.
So true!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:13 PM

62 posts, read 105,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoplz123 View Post
I've searched within the board to find answers to my questions, but haven't been able to find any recent posts with current information, and since things change -- I figured, why not ask for advice myself.

We are a young multiracial family living in nassau county. At the present time, we are renting. I wanted to rent in an area prior to committing and buying in a place that we may not feel comfortable in. Originally being from Queens, we are used to diversity and we have lived outside of NY due to military lifestyle which has made us more interested in LI in terms of quality of life. Honestly, I wish I could say I was happy where I am at, but I feel like an outcast. Unfortunately, although we are hard-working and honest, because we are young and come from mixed backgrounds, we tend to stick out. It's not that we just "stick out" but its obvious people don't feel comfortable around us. People tend to "overlook" us as they pass us by in school events even though we have all been to the same functions for the past few years and we have always been polite to others. I would feel more comfortable in a neighborhood that had more diversity where my children didn't feel so different (we live near sunrise highway by Merrick).

We would like to buy a house in the future. Our most important factors are 1) good school district 2) low crime area 2) somewhat of mixed population 3) taxes that won't kill us ~$10,000/yr. As far as budget, I would like to spend no more than $500k (hopefully less). I know my list probably sounds like my head must be in the clouds, but is it really too much to ask? Like I said, we are both hard-working parents and just want a place to call home.
Since you live by Merrick, you should check out Baldwin / Baldwin harbor. It's not that far from where your currently living now and it has everything you've mentioned. There are plenty of interracial couples and mixed families living there so no worries. Baldwin tends to get a bad rap on these boards because it is diverse, but that's just Long Island for you. To be honest I think Baldwin is one of the best kept secrets on Long Island. You just can't beat the mixture of low taxes and beautifully large homes which are actually affordable. An added plus is that Rockville Centre is right next door so you can enjoy the night life there but at almost half the cost of living there. Baldwin also has a very active civic association which has done wonders in turning the town around. New business have been pouring into the town. Here are some articles if you are interested and a link to the Baldwin Civic Association.

Baldwin: Suburbia, Diversity Not Far From City - WSJ

Buying in Baldwin or Baldwin Harbor - Newsday

https://www.facebook.com/BaldwinNeed...zation?fref=nf

Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 PM

148 posts, read 248,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoplz123 View Post

While the GRAND majority of Long Island has gotten on with the times, there is an overly vocal and widely spread small amount that haven't. These people ruin many good neighborhoods. Sometimes the neighborhoods give you a sign when they don't want you. From spitting in your food at pubs, giving you spoiled or rotten fruits on your plate at restaurants while they watch and wait for you to start to eat it and call their friend to watch as well (happened to me), harassing you and belittling you with derogatory terms "@#$@ you @#%@#" or "he's a third world person" "they're like savages" "LOOKING FOR handouts?!?" "This is why I left the cesspool, they just keep following us like rats" , following you around in stores until you leave or on the streets in their cars as they repeatedly make laps around as they call you names out the window, and generally just acting like you don't belong even when you're polite. These bigots kind of ruin it for most of the good people in the homogenous neighborhoods.

Just be safe, and don't let someone tell you that your bad experiences were "in your head".

I advise testing any town you are skeptical of. Walk their storefronts, and hang out at the public areas for a few days in any locations you are seriously considering. Walk into the chamber of commerce, attend town hall meetings. If anyone calls the police or follows you around, targets you with derogatory undertones or generally seems unsettled like a bear just walked into the banquet. I'd seriously reconsider the location or test it again.

The least we can do is forgive and mend, but segregation still causes tensions on the island and I'd do my research before you consider a serious investment. Some kids are growing up not knowing diversity and missing out friendships that could have lasted lifetimes.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

You're welcome. And good luck. Use this Census map to search towns and areas for their statistics and your requirements
The bad trends are slowly improving though. GOOD LUCK. Long Island can be nice, and MOST OFTEN IS NICE.

------

We're all humans.

And being one person from a certain place or appearance doesn't make you responsible for this tension.

So this mistrust on all sides needs to stop. It's creating social tragedies.

When I have kids I want them to have a diverse experience and so I shouldn't have to take him to Hauppauge School District and have him ask himself at 7, why he's the only black kid in the class.

Get your act together, Long Island! I love you guys but sheesh! Everyone can see the elephant in the room.
Love live and peace guys. Is that too much to ask for?

Last edited by Pholtor; 12-13-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island