Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 PM

115 posts, read 134,026 times

Advertisements

Need to dump my copper landline - verizon really doesn't want to maintain them and keeps increasing the price

query - can you use an old fashioned fax machine (yep we still use one) with fios?

Also - if there is already another phone number in the place that has fios - anybody know if there is any discount for adding a second phone number?

wondering if converting the second number which is the copper wire landline to fios and adding it to the fios account on the first number will be cheaper than converting it by itself?

Hate to dump the copper wire as that was all we had when sandy took us down but verizon is impossible increasing rates and adding fees.

plus we still pay for a dialup (oh yes we do) because that was the only thing we had working during sandy too - the only computer access. Painstakingly slow but better than nothing and allowed emergency access.

Anybody have any cheap solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
We had a copper line and when I switched to FIOS I was worried about outages too. That was back in like '01 and since then the only time it was missed was during the great northeast blackout of '03. But at that time calls weren't going through to cellphone users anyway. All other times my cell phone served me fine including Sandy (can be charged by car). FIOS also has an 8-hr battery backup which you should be able to conserve by unplugging.

Don't need computer access during a blackout/hurricane - but you can still get it if you have 4G and smartphones/tablets. What would you need a computer for otherwise and how would it be powered beyond a few hours through a UPS?

As for the fax, I am on FIOS and have a fax running through my Vonage box connected on FIOS. It works the same way - FIOS would work fine for fax.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times
Penny-wise and Pound-foolish. How much is your monthly rate currently?
You're holding on to your land and fax line for emergencies like Sandy?

Who even accepts faxes as their only means of document communication these days?

My AT&T 4G LTE did not go down during Sandy, and I did not have dead spots across the island, either.

If you're worried about some apocalyptic natural disaster, then get a weather radio and a satellite phone.

What year is it??

Old 03-08-2015, 01:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
We had a copper line and when I switched to FIOS I was worried about outages too. That was back in like '01 and since then the only time it was missed was during the great northeast blackout of '03. But at that time calls weren't going through to cellphone users anyway. All other times my cell phone served me fine including Sandy (can be charged by car). FIOS also has an 8-hr battery backup which you should be able to conserve by unplugging.

Don't need computer access during a blackout/hurricane - but you can still get it if you have 4G and smartphones/tablets. What would you need a computer for otherwise and how would it be powered beyond a few hours through a UPS?

As for the fax, I am on FIOS and have a fax running through my Vonage box connected on FIOS. It works the same way - FIOS would work fine for fax.
the modems, cable boxes, batteries, cars, main electric panel, cell phone towers was underwater for around one million people during Sandy.

I wish I had my old landline so I could have called for help in sandy. Also all the cell phone towers were destroyed in sandy down by beach. We did not get cell phone service back till around December.

It was annoying working on house and for workers no way to get or make a call

Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I wish I had my old landline so I could have called for help in sandy.
Do you mean for the repair process (workers as you mentioned) or did you mean to call for help soon after it all went to hell? Who would you call? Makes no sense to call the electric company in a disaster like that... 911 for help in evacuation?

Just trying to understand why a landline is vital in a Sandy situation other than someone being hurt and cell lines are all instantly down. Drive them to the hospital?

Last edited by ovi8; 03-08-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 07:19 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
If you must have a home phone, look into the Ooma. I picked up a refurb Telo last year for around 70 bucks and have a house phone basically for free ($3/mo). We don't use it too often, but it's never given us a hint of trouble when we needed it.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 PM

511 posts, read 508,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
If you must have a home phone, look into the Ooma. I picked up a refurb Telo last year for around 70 bucks and have a house phone basically for free ($3/mo). We don't use it too often, but it's never given us a hint of trouble when we needed it.
My friend has one of these and he loves it! Can't go wrong for $3 a month.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Doesn't that require internet to work???

Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 AM

^ yup, it's just like Vonage except with a higher up-front cost, but lower monthly. I have a reimbursed office line so I haven't bothered switching.

Anyway, the point is it's only as good as your router's battery backup in an emergency. And then you still have to power these devices even if you have a phone that only runs off the line. Cell phone is still the best bet, unfortunately. And pick up some USB battery banks.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-09-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
What about magic jack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: