Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times

Advertisements

Take a few days or so and work as much as possible outside your apartment-- in a library or at your college perhaps. See if they still complain.

Alternatively, invest in slippers? Or maybe try sliding around instead of stepping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Take a few days or so and work as much as possible outside your apartment-- in a library or at your college perhaps. See if they still complain.

Alternatively, invest in slippers? Or maybe try sliding around instead of stepping?
Or maybe just float above the floors as you move from room to room like ghosts do?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
The guy said its an apartment complex

Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
You seem pretty scared and docile for someone who claims to be a powerlifter.
I doubt he is scared of anyone, let alone some old people.

I think the problem is that his parents raised him to respect other people and be a decent human being and when you deal with trash like his downstairs neighbors its a recipe for being taken advantage of.

When I was first out on my own, I had the same kind of problems. I had to learn to identify when someone was trying to get over on me and then I switch the ahole switch. This young man just needs to find his inner ahole and voila, problem solved.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
The downfall of renting a downstairs apartment is thee people walking above u. The downside of renting an upstairs apartment is walking up stairs and listening to people downstairs complain about noise
Its also illegal for landlord to come into apartment unless it's an emergency
Sounds like u r being harassed and have a nice lawsuit on your hands

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I would start looking for a new place to live. If the building is old no amount of carpeting and padding is going to prevent the noise. Additionally, some folks walk "harder" than others. DH has a very hard walk. I walk through the dining room and nothing moves, he walks and the plates rattle. We are of equal weights. I know that you have invested in carpeting etc. perhaps an appeal to the land lord for a swap for a downstairs apt. might be what will work. I would say I am trying to comply as best as I can but I feel I am being discriminated against because of my work hours. I am not noisy, but I do work well into the night and I believe that no matter what I put on the floors the problem is the building so I am willing to move downstairs.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would start looking for a new place to live. If the building is old no amount of carpeting and padding is going to prevent the noise. Additionally, some folks walk "harder" than others. DH has a very hard walk. I walk through the dining room and nothing moves, he walks and the plates rattle. We are of equal weights. I know that you have invested in carpeting etc. perhaps an appeal to the land lord for a swap for a downstairs apt. might be what will work. I would say I am trying to comply as best as I can but I feel I am being discriminated against because of my work hours. I am not noisy, but I do work well into the night and I believe that no matter what I put on the floors the problem is the building so I am willing to move downstairs.
I think this is good advice.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
And tell the landlord to compensate you for the wall-to-wall carpet if they still complain after it's done. See what he says.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM

291 posts, read 397,859 times
This is awful and i am sorry you have to go through this.

Many years ago in my low 20's, i used to go to town hall/city hall of a town on LI and get paperwork on the noise ordinance for my town. Every time i went in there, they were incredibly friendly and told me each time that if i needed legal help, they had attorneys available that i could speak with for free. I never had to use one of them, but they were there and they all seemed more than happy to help.

This would be my first stop. Get all the laws and education on what you are liable for. Then develop a plan from there.

I don't know your financial status, but if you have enough money to move, moving would be part of my plan. Its unfortunate, but the landlord already perceives you as a noise maker and even if the complaints were to stop, any little thing from your apt would be deemed as an issue, no matter how nice you are about it. Not worth your time, energy or trouble IMO.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVYSTEPPERLOL View Post
If I do get the carpet installed, and they still complain about footsteps....what do I do?
Offer to swap apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island