Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 PM

62 posts, read 106,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
No race is genetically smarter than another. But there are socio economic reasons why one group performs better than another.
To add to what you stated, I believe culture also plays a major factor as well. I often see people post that Jews and Asians are the smartest people. In both the Jewish and Asian cultures, education is very important. These people will study night and day, seven days a week, so of course they will excel more so than the average person. I’ve met Jewish and Asian people who weren’t so bright. Another example are the Asians that come from abroad seem to excel much more compared to the Asians that are born here and are Americanized. Is that due to genetics? No. Blacks from Nigeria are highly educated. Their culture places a high emphasis on education. You can say the same for Haitian people. Education is very important to that culture and their offspring often excel in life. Now compare that to most but not all American Blacks and there is no comparison. Unfortunately, education for many in that group is just not a priority. I think some people are in fact genetically smarter than others, but you find that in all racial groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I haven't seen that at all to be honest...a different problem exists however, where all people with a Spanish last name are referred to as being of the same race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As a fellow white Hispanic I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I find that these things have more to do with your behavior than your surname.
My firs, maiden, and married last name are Anglo-Saxon, I have fair skin, and am very Irish looking. My children as well. No one ever believes we're Hispanic. I've had issues when others fill out paperwork, for example, my youngest's 4H leader submitted a form for her presentation and indicated that my daughter was white/non-Hispanic. I've had Hispanic people (those who have an olive complexion) tell me that I am not really Hispanic. In my situation, it is all about preconceived notions based on my appearance than it is on behavior.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Its wrong to assume minorities prefer to live in places like Hempstead and Roosevelt.
Please show me where I wrote that.

Quote:
I know more than a few folks who happen to be black that live in those neighborhoods and are MISERABLE living there and want to move out. Guess what, they've tried looking in nicer neighborhoods like Bellmore, looked at apts and never get their phone calls returned. Why is that?
Could it be that when they called they might have indicated that they were part of a taxpayer-subsidized program which the landlord does not participate in? Or maybe their credit was bad?

Quote:
Yes poverty plays a HUGE role in the quality of life in neighborhoods. The problem is when you put all the poor people in one neighborhood (instead of scattering them throughout other towns) you set up a ghetto situation. Among the poor will be the thugs, the illegals, the ex-cons, sex offenders, etc. The community becomes a dumping ground, just look at what has happened to Mastic Beach, which from what I've seen, seems to have more crime than even Nassau's tougher neighborhoods.
No one has put all the poor people in one neighborhood. People will find places they can afford and settle there.

Quote:
This is not so much about me as it is about other folks in much worse areas trying to improve their situation. These people I know get up early and get on the bus everyday for work and deserve much better.
I get up early everyday. Many people get up early everyday. Some have to deal with the buses, some with the LIRR, others have to sit in traffic. Unlike the bus rider, those dealing with traffic can't just nod off in their seat.

Quote:
Yet they are kept out of nicer neighborhoods because of their skin color.
If they can afford a $450K house, they won't have a problem getting INTO a nicer neighborhood.

Quote:
There are those that are able to rise up and leave the ghetto, because they have the inner strength and determination to find a way out. They have my utmost respect and admiration.
Agreed.

Quote:
But it doesn't wash away the problems with segregation on Long Island and in Nassau in particular.
My solution isn't "affirmative housing" it is improving the neighborhoods suffering with the problems of crime and illegal immigration. Some places, like Westbury are really putting in a hard effort to clean up the problems and I think it may be starting to pay off, we have 3 new places either open or opening soon on Post Ave. Westbury can be one of those towns younger folks want to move to, it can be for "all seasons". Remove the illegal housing and you have removed many of the illegals and thugs that live there. Improve transportation and you will make the town more appealing to everyone.
OK, you need the towns to enforce their codes. Just curious, though. If they succeed at cleaning up Westbury, where will all the 'illegals and thugs' go? And considering that many of these 'illegals and thugs' -- some of whom were brown-skinned Hispanic, judging by your videos -- are sent packing, would Westbury whiten up? Aren't you actually promoting segregation in that respect?

Quote:
I hear your point about Hicksville, it's not so much that it is a major LIRR station it is the LAST STOP on quite a few trains. From what I've read, shelters in NYC often give these people train tickets to the last stop on the line. Hicksville, Huntington Station, Port Jefferson,etc all have the same problems with vagrancy. Even Babylon, again, because it is the last stop.
Basically NYC dumps its problems here instead of solving them.
The solution is having NYC take responsibility for its own. Tougher enforcement as well. All the police can do is "ask" these people to leave the train station. Many are drug addicts and get kicked out of programs or refuse to enter them because of it. Again, if the same individuals were hanging around the Great Neck train station you better believe the cops would do something, but not in Hicksville? Again there is uneven enforcement of laws. The police seem more interested in patrolling the more well to do areas versus the areas with problems that NEED them. I always see tons of NCPD in Great Neck and in the South Shore riviera, yet all NCPD can do for the Village of Westbury is provide ONE patrol car for the entire village?
Why should only the better off neighborhoods have good enforcement of the laws?
I'm reading a lot of speculation, rhetoric, and hearsay. 'TONS of NCPD in Great Neck and ONE patrol car for the entire village' -- have you contact the local precinct for a sector map? Asked specifically how many cars are assigned to an area? Maybe ask them for a drive along so you can see what the police handle on a given day?

What exactly are these problems NYC dumps on LI? Are they the vagrants and bums you've mentioned?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 AM

93,810 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebiking View Post
To add to what you stated, I believe culture also plays a major factor as well. I often see people post that Jews and Asians are the smartest people. In both the Jewish and Asian cultures, education is very important. These people will study night and day, seven days a week, so of course they will excel more so than the average person. I’ve met Jewish and Asian people who weren’t so bright. Another example are the Asians that come from abroad seem to excel much more compared to the Asians that are born here and are Americanized. Is that due to genetics? No. Blacks from Nigeria are highly educated. Their culture places a high emphasis on education. You can say the same for Haitian people. Education is very important to that culture and their offspring often excel in life. Now compare that to most but not all American Blacks and there is no comparison. Unfortunately, education for many in that group is just not a priority. I think some people are in fact genetically smarter than others, but you find that in all racial groups.
Consider socialization as well, given that some groups here weren't allowed to read and were punished if they were caught doing so or their culture was essentially stripped away. There is still a psychological aspect that people forget to think about and even a book was written about this: Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome - Theory and Book | Joy DeGruy

This doesn't mean that many weren't able to do great things and/or lead "normal/regular" lives though.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 AM

93,810 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or perhaps this area of West Babylon in the North Babylon UFSD: Census Tract 122502 in Suffolk County, New York
http://goo.gl/maps/eqQR3

Maybe this area in the Baldwin UFSD as well: Census Tract 412900 in Nassau County, New York
http://goo.gl/maps/cyd1c

This area of Elmont looks to be promising: Census Tract 404901 in Nassau County, New York
http://goo.gl/maps/nBQFY
Here's another area: Census Tract 406202 in Nassau County, New York
http://goo.gl/maps/uYQuy

Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,788,660 times
Quote:

Some good points here, nowadays it seems like everyone assumes every Asian kid is bound for the ivies with 'tiger parents' that force their study and learn classic piano 24/7. That's nonsense and just another stereotype. Asians are just like any other group with gifted kids, average kids, and kids with severe learning issues. The Intel finalists etc. you see in newsday are just a tiny percentage, you aren't going to hear about the 1000s of kids who just go to a typical college or don't attend at all.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,527,926 times
Quote:
Certain races score worse, and others better, on every test of intelligence ever devised by humans. Not to mention common observation - blacks, in the main, tend to be at or near the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder in every country they inhabit, while Ashkenazi Jews score and succeed near or at the top.

Could it be culture? Perhaps, though culture differs radically from country to country. American culture is very different from Somali culture and blacks do poorly in both locations. The ruling classes of Mexico and South America are whites of Spanish and Portuguese descent, not browns of Incan descent, even if they eat the same food and celebrate the same holidays, and consider themselves Mexican et al.

More importantly, however - does culture create a people, or do people create a culture?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,511,028 times
Quote:
Certain races score worse, and others better, on every test of intelligence ever devised by humans. Not to mention common observation - blacks, in the main, tend to be at or near the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder in every country they inhabit, while Ashkenazi Jews score and succeed near or at the top.

Could it be culture? Perhaps, though culture differs radically from country to country. American culture is very different from Somali culture and blacks do poorly in both locations. The ruling classes of Mexico and South America are whites of Spanish and Portuguese descent, not browns of Incan descent, even if they eat the same food and celebrate the same holidays, and consider themselves Mexican et al.

More importantly, however - does culture create a people, or do people create a culture?
Not entirely true, I have wealthy family in Ecuador and they're mestizo.

Also, I think you're ignonant on this subject and possibly basing some of these assumptions off that "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" book. That book is a bunch of garbage for reasons I've mentioned earlier.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,788,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not entirely true, I have wealthy family in Ecuador and they're mestizo.

Also, I think you're ignonant on this subject and possibly basing some of these assumptions off that "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" book. That book is a bunch of garbage for reasons I've mentioned earlier.

There are exceptions everywhere, and I cant speak to Ecuador, but in Mexico the vast majority of the rich ruling class is most certainly light skinned European descent.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 AM

159 posts, read 280,234 times
Quote:

Trinidad&Tobago is a country where blacks are not at the bottom. Trinidad is around 40% South Asian, 40% Black and 20% Mixed and the blacks there have a much higher median income than both the Asians and Mixed people on average.

Source: Afro Trinis earning more | Trinidad Express Newspaper | News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island