Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:02 PM

874 posts, read 728,753 times

Advertisements

I was researching for a lawyer for legal issues and many of them claim to be former D.A. So I looked up the lawyers name online and came up with a nice list

Nassau County salaries database

so now I notice these d.a. have say 5 years on the job but only made like $7000...thats what they want as a retainer for my case!!

I am very suspicious of lawyers, and if it wasnt for the internet people would be able to research as well.

Does a no base salary and a low total wage mean an inexperienced "part time" D.A. ?

or a D.A. that couldn't win cases and got fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 PM

47 posts, read 98,469 times
No, not necessarily. They start in the low 60s and move up incrementally from there. 5 years in and around 70k sounds about right (after typical government salary raises). That's why many get the trial experience as an ADA and move into the private sector after a few years.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 AM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Both of your numbers are about 10K off [on the high side], and many leave after a few years not so much to move into the private sector, but because once their first agreement/contract ends, they're so overwhelmed by law school debt they need to move.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
You wouldn't believe how saturated the lawyer job market is. Law schools pump out 40,000 grads every year and there are only jobs for about 20,000 of them. Most of them are buried under mortgage sized student loan debt. Obama set up a program where if you are a community organizer or a govt employee for a certain number of years, he will forgive all of your debt. It would be quite rational to make $7,000 per year in the DA's office, yet have Obama and the taxpayers pay off all of your debt. I knew a girl that had college and law school debt that exceeded $350,000. All she needs to do is perform a little community organizing for a few years and "poof" all of her debt is hoisted onto the taxpayers. Isn't America great?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM

874 posts, read 728,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimehomeownerli View Post
No, not necessarily. They start in the low 60s and move up incrementally from there. 5 years in and around 70k sounds about right (after typical government salary raises). That's why many get the trial experience as an ADA and move into the private sector after a few years.
No the total amount made by lawyers was 7 thousand total.

how much experience can you really have if after 5 years you only worked x amount of case/hours and only made 7 thousand?

their web sites say they tried people for murder as a d.a

and defended them in court for murder as a private lawyer

Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM

47 posts, read 98,469 times
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant 70k. In that case I don't have an answer for you.
Got a friend starting in low 60s.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 AM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
... Obama set up a program where if you are a community organizer or a govt employee for a certain number of years, he will forgive all of your debt.
I am not positive, but I think the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program predates the Obama administration by a few years.

Obama proposed a cap on Public Service Loan Forgiveness at $57,500 for all new borrowers, and there's a republican budget resolution to eliminate it entirely (for new borrowers).

Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 134,068 times
That salary information comes from 2009 data - its 6 years old. And it doesn't add in all their fringe benefits - plus I'm not sure if that salary reflects pre or post deductions for their pension contribution, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending plans etc. etc.

The 10 year public interest loan forgiveness program also was only implemented in 2006 - congress ignored all the lawyers who worked in the public interest PRIOR to 2006 because they didn't make it retroactive or include their payment plans - it is almost 10 years to date. If they want to now eliminate it - you have to wonder how many Congressional CHILDREN have now served their 10 years in a politically appointed job - will be getting the balance of their loans forgiven - and that accomplished - the program gets wiped.

Sickening.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 AM

115 posts, read 134,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
I am not positive, but I think the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program predates the Obama administration by a few years.

Obama proposed a cap on Public Service Loan Forgiveness at $57,500 for all new borrowers, and there's a republican budget resolution to eliminate it entirely (for new borrowers).

They always want to eliminate these programs so there is more money to hire their family and friends and bigger contract payouts. Skelos was arrested for shooting his son $200,000 in salary from what the feds are saying was corrupt contracting practices - yet he voted AGAINST increasing minimum wage back in 2012. So regular schlugs aren't valuable enough to make another dollar an hour - yet his 32 year old son should be pulling down $200,000 for doing who knows what?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
so now I notice these d.a. have say 5 years on the job but only made like $7000...thats what they want as a retainer for my case!!
Out of the 20 or so lawyers that work in my office around 6 of them at any given time are working for no salary and 40 hours a week to boot. They do so to gain work experience. I guess to them $7k would seem like big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: