Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 PM

323 posts, read 198,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
In the past two weeks, my elderly dog's health has taken a turn for the worst and she is rapidly losing weight, and will not eat. She is so old that it is not worth investing thousands of dollars worth of tests and treatments at the vet's office. We feel no amount of veterinary care can bring her back to health.

I feel a tumor in her abdomen when I touch her belly area. She is suffering greatly and today I called over ten different vets trying to get a cost for Euthanasia services. I was quoted an average of $350-$400 which included them handling her remains (either coming to our home or in office), and $250 if we remove her body on our own so we can bury her ourselves in our back yard.

We simply cannot afford it and don't want her to suffer much longer. It breaks our hearts to see her suffering any longer.

I also called up the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter and they wanted $275. We live in the Town of Hempstead in the Bethpage area so that would be the shelter that we can prove our residence to. However, the Town Of Oyster Bay only charges $65 for owner chosen euthanasia, but we need proof of residence which we don't have.

Every day that passes she gets skinnier and skinnier and at this point she looks like she is a skeleton of her former self.

I also called the Humane Society/ASPCA and got nothing that could be helpful to us.

Can anyone here recommend a kind hearted, low cost veterinarian that would charge much less than the other veterinarians quoted us? We would be willing to travel from Nassau County all the way to Suffolk County if need be.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

Last edited by dk1111; 02-28-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
Hi everyone,
In the past two weeks, my elderly dog's health has taken a turn for the worst and she is rapidly losing weight, and will not eat. She is so old that it is not worth investing thousands of dollars worth of tests and treatments at the vet's office. We feel no amount of veterinary care can bring her back to health.

I feel a tumor in her abdomen when I touch her belly area. She is suffering greatly and today I called over ten different vets trying to get a cost for Euthanasia services. I was quoted an average of $350-$400 which included them handling her remains (either coming to our home or in office), and $250 if we remove her body on our own so we can bury her ourselves in our back yard.

We simply cannot afford it and don't want her to suffer much longer. It breaks our hearts to see her suffering any longer.

I also called up the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter and they wanted $275. We live in the Town of Hempstead in the Bethpage area so that would be the shelter that we can prove our residence to. However, the Town Of Oyster Bay only charges $65 for owner chosen euthanasia, but we need proof of residence which we don't have.

Every day that passes she gets skinnier and skinnier and at this point she looks like she is a skeleton of her former self.

I also called the Humane Society/ASPCA and got nothing that could be helpful to us.

Can anyone here recommend a kind hearted, low cost veterinarian that would charge much less than the other veterinarians quoted us? We would be willing to travel from Nassau County all the way to Suffolk County if need be.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.
sent you a DM.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
North Shore Animal League?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Bethpage isn't part of TOB? Bethpage LIRR parking is TOB.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,097 times
Sorry for your loss. What, if I may ask did you decide? Sadly I am getting towards that same situation with my 17 year old dog.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 PM

247 posts, read 180,855 times
euthanize dog at home - Google Search

Old 08-11-2018, 11:48 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I'd like to see euthanasia legalized for humans.
Will be a great day.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
“Aresenicum album 30C – This is arguably the first remedy to consider. Symptoms include restlessness, fear, discomfort, extreme weakness, increased thirst and coldness.

So the final couple of doses at home could induce fear and discomfort? Granted it’s better than letting a poor animal suffer.

Owning an animal means also providing for end of life. No vet likes to do euthanasia but the best one to do it is a vet that the pet knows. A shot of Phenobarbital is quick, painless and done properly by someone trained to do it.

If someone can’t afford $250 should they really own a dog?

I’ve done it for my last dog who was suffering. I know that in the future I will have to do it for my current animal. I owe it to her to be there and make her final moments as pain free and peaceful as possible.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:42 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“Aresenicum album 30C – This is arguably the first remedy to consider. Symptoms include restlessness, fear, discomfort, extreme weakness, increased thirst and coldness.

So the final couple of doses at home could induce fear and discomfort? Granted it’s better than letting a poor animal suffer.
Sounds like suffering to me.
Let's try it on some people and see what they "say".

Old 08-12-2018, 12:51 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sounds like suffering to me.
Let's try it on some people and see what they "say".
I don’t disagree. My point about suffering was how some people keep their dogs alive until they die “naturally”. Dogs are pack animals and will always look to appear strong for their pack leader even if in pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: