Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times

Advertisements

How can you afford a $289K loan on $12.50/hr, unless your wife makes an awful lot???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
How can you afford a $289K loan on $12.50/hr, unless your wife makes an awful lot???
She makes $40,000 before taxes.

It's ok, they plan on 'upping their salaries', whatever that means. It sounds so simple. But then again we are talking about a simple minded individual here....

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

It's ok, they plan on 'upping their salaries', whatever that means. It sounds so simple. But then again we are talking about a simple minded individual here....

Don't forget their little list of who will die next windfall of inheritance rolling in.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM

I love how he states all the savings they've stocked over the past year, when in reality it is the money from mommy and daddy combined with the death inheritance.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

Phewwww! That's different!

Maybe a little raise is in the future? Say from $25K and $40K a year, to $75K and $130K a year, respectively?

(I think if they were going to look for a $289K house and finance $89K it would be a stretch... The guys salary might pay the taxes and electric bills...the rest they'd have to do on wifey's salary....)

I don't get it- people are willing to just straddle themselves with as much debt as they can take on. They have a windfall of $200K- they should use it wisely, rather than stake it on something they can't afford, and which they will lose. (Or they could just buy Billy Joel's mansion, and plan on upping their salaries a little more....)

Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM

200 posts, read 210,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Phewwww! That's different!

Maybe a little raise is in the future? Say from $25K and $40K a year, to $75K and $130K a year, respectively?

(I think if they were going to look for a $289K house and finance $89K it would be a stretch... The guys salary might pay the taxes and electric bills...the rest they'd have to do on wifey's salary....)

I don't get it- people are willing to just straddle themselves with as much debt as they can take on. They have a windfall of $200K- they should use it wisely, rather than stake it on something they can't afford, and which they will lose. (Or they could just buy Billy Joel's mansion, and plan on upping their salaries a little more....)
I understand your points. My question is this: We are getting $200,000 down for a home which do not come out of our pocket and it will enable us to live in an area where we have always wanted to live in a modest home that isn't 14k in taxes and 600,000 dollars then what is wrong with that?

There have also been assumptions by a few people on here who think that the money that we have saved are not from our own hard work. That is not true. We have 76,000 in savings from working the past two years, thankfully living at home and building up our savings.

We could rent worse case but even that's expensive. With 200k down and hopefully something at 350k and 8k taxes it will enable us to have a modest home. Worse case 399, 9k which isn't ideal for us. My post before on the reality check was just that - a reality check. We know what we need to do.

I just got offered a 14.50 an hour job and while only $2.00 more, it is local and my fiancé has an interview on Tuesday. If its more than what she makes now she is taking it. That as well is local which is great.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
I understand your points. My question is this: We are getting $200,000 down for a home which do not come out of our pocket and it will enable us to live in an area where we have always wanted to live in a modest home that isn't 14k in taxes and 600,000 dollars then what is wrong with that?

There have also been assumptions by a few people on here who think that the money that we have saved are not from our own hard work. That is not true. We have 76,000 in savings from working the past two years, thankfully living at home and building up our savings.

We could rent worse case but even that's expensive. With 200k down and hopefully something at 350k and 8k taxes it will enable us to have a modest home. Worse case 399, 9k which isn't ideal for us. My post before on the reality check was just that - a reality check. We know what we need to do.

I just got offered a 14.50 an hour job and while only $2.00 more, it is local and my fiancé has an interview on Tuesday. If its more than what she makes now she is taking it. That as well is local which is great.
How about you stop posting every iota of your life and instead wait until you are seriously ready to be asking questions? Nobody cares about your daily life.

That whopping $2.00 increase will mean very very little in terms of a mortgage. And your fiance has an interview and you're automatically jumping to conclusions that she'll take it...who says after the interview they'll offer it?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I get all that- but the reality is, you can't afford a $289K loan (You're talking about $289K in addition to the $200K you already have, right?)...and 8 or 9K a year in taxers...and $400-$500 a month heating...and electricity....and everything else. Ain't gonna happen. You'd have a hard time with a $300K house, even with the $200K down...but at least that would be more realistic, and you might be able to hack it.

Just think before you jump....that $200K is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity- don't lose it by getting into heavy debt in a situation that you can not afford. And what happens if one of you should lose your job?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:

Perhaps, you might want to consider a bit larger home. The original post in this thread stated "my wife", you also stated that you were expecting a baby in another thread and are also referencing fiancé in this thread. That would make you a cheater with a pregnant wife and you are trying to buy a house with your fiancé. Can you tell us how the 4 of you will live together in peace and harmony? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Perhaps, you might want to consider a bit larger home. The original post in this thread stated "my wife", you also stated that you were expecting a baby in another thread and are also referencing fiancé in this thread. That would make you a cheater with a pregnant wife and you are trying to buy a house with your fiancé. Can you tell us how the 4 of you will live together in peace and harmony? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Lol I noticed the wife/fiancé inconsistency as well.

Maybe I should start a chart for significant others? It could compliment the LI map quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island