Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 PM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 279,945 times

Advertisements

I live in Clearview village - bought my house 2 years ago and the home inspector said that its possible that the tiles in the basement have asbestos in them.

I spoke to someone who does asbestos ebatement and said if the tiles are 9X9 then they have asbestos.

Well the tiles are 9X9 - what are the chances of them having asbestos.

Anyone who lives in clearview village know ???

Has anyone gotten them removed ??

I want to update my basement - want to put procline tiles on the floor - do i just go over the old floor or do i get this removed (cost approx. 3500 - 4500) and then put a new floor on.

I plan to be in this house for a long long time....

I am kind of losing my sleep over this just thinking that the tiles has asbestos in them. So any words of encouragement will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Sleep. It's not that big of a deal.
You can go right over them with laminate, carpet, sticky tile or sheet vinyl.
It's only dangerous if you pulverize the tiles and breath the dust for a few years.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
There's hundreds of other things to worry about than floor tiles that contain a very low percentage of asbestos. The entire tile is not made from all asbestos and as long as they're not broken and friable they are harmless. Driving your car down Main St with your window open exposes you to more asbestos (brake pads).

Old 08-04-2015, 06:41 AM

629 posts, read 963,283 times
Similar situation, different town, but yeah, they most likely have asbestos. If you're big on piece of mind, pay to have them removed. If you get over the initial fear, and realize it's not the worst of things, then cover it up.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM

This gives me some comfort - but why do people make such a big deal about it then ? I saw a video on this old house and they had sealed the entire area. People working in there had to take off their clothes and throw them away - walk to another section of sealed area - then take a shower and then walk into another section of a sealed area and then put their clothes on.

are you guys suggesting that its just a gimmick ??

Do you guys have asbestos tiles in your basement or gone thru abatement ??

Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
If the asbestos is crumbling it IS a big deal, and hence the abatement. However, basement tiles that are not cracked and are in good shape can just be covered over. Asbestos isn't like radiation...it just is harmful when breathed in. And when part of a tile or insulation it can't be breathed in.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Test them your self if worried. Go to home depot and get a test kit. Do not let any licensed contractor or absestos company test them as they will make a huge deal and charge you thousands for abatement.

Or just cover them over and let someone else in 50 years worry about it

Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 AM

629 posts, read 963,283 times
Yeah, what markjames68 said. If you ever did decide to remove the tiles, you should be very careful. If you're not doing anything major to risk tile dust, then it's not as huge a deal. I'm sure there's hundreds, or maybe thousands of houses on LI with asbestos in their basements. You have more knowledge than a lot of people in that you know what not to do.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Test them your self if worried. Go to home depot and get a test kit. Do not let any licensed contractor or absestos company test them as they will make a huge deal and charge you thousands for abatement.

Or just cover them over and let someone else in 50 years worry about it
Exactly. There are a few time-tested LI "scams" that prey on new homeowners...

1) You need a liner for your chimney
2) You need to remove those asbestos tiles
3) You need your ducts cleaned (for those with ducts)
4) You need to scotchgard your carpet
5) You need a comprehensive termite protection program

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Exactly. There are a few time-tested LI "scams" that prey on new homeowners...

1) You need a liner for your chimney
2) You need to remove those asbestos tiles
3) You need your ducts cleaned (for those with ducts)
4) You need to scotchgard your carpet
5) You need a comprehensive termite protection program
I will order the test through Home Depot.

1- I converted from Oil to Gas and got a liner for the chimney.
2- Am concerned about the Asbestos
3- I did pay to have the AC ducts cleaned
4- Am considering buying a Termite protection plan - are you telling me I don't need one ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island