Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
West Hempstead has a few, Hempstead itself has a lot of houses. I assume because of the crime rates. As I said, areas with poor schools are a lot cheaper too. Roosevelt, north of Freeport.
Hempstead is a mess, except for certain neighborhoods that are still very nice, but likely out of your price range. Hempstead's property taxes are off-the-charts high. West Hempstead is fine. Roosevelt is better than Hempstead and not as nice as West Hempstead and has absolutely no train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM

78 posts, read 104,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Queens, even SE Queens, can actually be pretty expensive. I'd be surprised if this price is achievable even in South Jamaica. Laurelton and Cambria Heights are actually quite beautiful.
Yeah I haven't seen anything at all in Queens. I really don't mind being a ways out. I actually like the idea of leaving the city.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Oh and I meant to say I don't have to be close to the train. I can drive to the train if parking is available.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Hempstead is a mess, except for certain neighborhoods that are still very nice, but likely out of your price range. Hempstead's property taxes are off-the-charts high. West Hempstead is fine. Roosevelt is better than Hempstead and not as nice as West Hempstead and has absolutely no train.
It really depends what you mean by "a mess". I've read a lot of people talk about crime on citi-data forums but haven't had remotely the same experiences myself in those places. And crime on LI may not be comparable at all to that in the 5 boroughs. I think I would need to see for myself what these places are actually like.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
maybe Lindenhurst, Copaigue, West Babylon, North Babylon.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 AM

If you choose Roosevelt, I think you should be able to park at the Baldwin or Freeport LIRR. Freeport village may have rules that restrict non-residents, though. That may actually be quicker than actually living in West Hempstead, because the West Hempstead line is slow and infrequent.

Uniondale may also work for you, but that's really getting quite far from the train.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 AM

I did notice commutes are longer around Hempstead for those reasons, so I'll definitely check that out. And I also wondered whether there would be parking restrictions. There are where I live right now so I have that in the back of my mind.

I also want to bear in mind rising sea levels. This is a long term thing and I'm mindful of choosing somewhere not too close to the coastline.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
It really depends what you mean by "a mess". I've read a lot of people talk about crime on citi-data forums but haven't had remotely the same experiences myself in those places. And crime on LI may not be comparable at all to that in the 5 boroughs. I think I would need to see for myself what these places are actually like.
I'm not even thinking of crime, principally. Hempstead is just unpleasant looking in the parts you are likely to find a house of that price in. That's not to say there aren't blocks that you might like. I would definitely recommend going out in person and getting a real feel for it. In my opinion, I'd prefer most any neighborhood in Queens and the majority of neighborhoods in Brooklyn to Hempstead.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,986 times
Quote:
Queens, even SE Queens, can actually be pretty expensive. I'd be surprised if this price is achievable even in South Jamaica. Laurelton and Cambria Heights are actually quite beautiful.
They are - but a quick search on MLS turned up a few homes in the range in those areas.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
maybe Lindenhurst, Copaigue, West Babylon, North Babylon.
Also add Amityville, Deer Park, Brentwood, Wyandanch (not to say that any of these towns are equivalent; Wyandanch is closer to Hempstead than it is to these other towns)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island