Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra85 View Post
I think Spodi was being sarcastic, guys
I think your the one being sarcastic smarty pants and these home prices in mastic cant rise fast enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
I heard Mastic is long island's newest gentrification hotspot along with Shirley and Wyandanch. Is this true? I've already begun looking at real estate but im thinking of waiting until after home prices in these areas surpass Garden City and Manhasset, Im crossing my fingers that it happens soon, I just cant wait!
Your supposed to buy low: sell high

Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Your supposed to buy low: sell high
Duh, thats what im trying to tony montana this Amityville dream of mine. Make the biggg bucks. 5 years from now Levittown is gonna be the home to the oligarchs, trust a guy like me.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:21 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
I am sorry if I used the term 'revitalization' incorrectly. I should say 'construction' I guess.

Yes, some of these projects may be a $ gift for developers, could be the result of poor planning, and may not be necessary...but, there is no stopping these projects from happening. They have all been given the OK to get complete, whether we like it or not. I am just hoping these projects have positive impacts on the island. Lord knows we can really use it. If not, I don't know what we can do?
Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine because Long Island has been so overdeveloped, especially if you include Brooklyn and Queens. So when a developer wants to develop the last of our natural areas using code words like "smart growth" or "revitalization" I get a little upset.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
Does anyone know how long these projects usually take to complete?
A better question would be: "How long does it take for the area to degenerate after the "revitalization" is complete?"- as that is usually what happens when they introduce non-homogenous enclaves into environments which have long been established as a different genre.

Just watch how fast Patchogue will degenerate into a state worse than it had been before they built all of those Queens-style apartments!

Ditto the BS in Wyandanch- it will be just another housing project in a few years.

Just because some utopian dreamer wants to push their urban-style philosophy and build some apartments and retail space, doesn't mean that it will magically transform an area. (And in the rare cases where they do, it often results in other partsd of the towen going further downhill- e.g. as more existing stores sit empty as businesses move into the new digs....)

It's been done. It doesn't work. Communities that really work are built by those who will occupy them, or because there is a demand for them on the free market. When politicians and big developers try and create defacto instant communities, it just doesn't work. The apartments end up going Section 8, and the stores sit empty, or just cause existing stores to sit empty. And since there are few real jobs left on LI (Who in their right mind wants to do business in that over-taxed, over-regulated hell-hole?), whose going to pay higher-than-NYC rents for the same apartment they'd have in Queens, but have to commute 3 hours a day on the LIRR to get to work and back, even if it's across the street from the train station?

Old 12-19-2015, 03:24 PM

60 posts, read 121,670 times
I'm still waiting for Pilgrim to be torn for the new small city in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island