Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times

Advertisements

The Third Track is vital to the Main Line. Right now service along the Main Line is woefully inadequate, and the result is inferior levels of service compared to the Babylon Branch, for example. The crowding is worse and it's less reliable, just like what happened with today's broken rail in Westbury (which happened last year when it was frigid too).
You have two major branches (Ronkonkoma & Huntington) converging on just two tracks. Throw in the Oyster Bay line as well as the occasional Montauk train and you have a delicate ballet that has to be performed every rush hour, and any little problem throws it all out of wack. Reverse peak service is very limited because both tracks have to be used for peak direction service (throating).
You have as much as 3 hour gaps, whereas the Babylon Branch offers regular 30 min reverse peak service.
The Main Line is antiquated, it should have had a third track added years ago along with complete elevation (Babylon Branch style). But the towns called it "unsightly", yeah Westbury was among the towns against the modernization.
So because of that, the Main Line towns are significantly less desirable for commuters when compared to the Babylon Branch. Its a big part of the reason I've been trying to move to a decent town along the Babylon Branch, the train service is much, much better.
The Main Line is more like NICE Bus on rails in comparison.
But the third track could make huge improvements and have the full potential of East Side Acccess (GCT) and the Ronkonkoma Double track project realized.
Otherwise, most of the extra service from ESA will go to the Babylon, Port Washington, Long Beach, and Far Rockaway branches, while the Main Line is stuck with the same inferior level of service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 PM

384 posts, read 434,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
LIRR and tunnel construction will have no effect on property taxes since neither are funded by property taxes. what sort of tolls and train fare will be needed to support these improvements is a totally fair question, though.

Sewers seem like an improvement worth paying for, no? Unless you want to forfeit your right to complain about groundwater quality and brown tide. Money spent on water quality improvement is money well-spent and truly benefits everyone on Long Island, rich or poor, commuter or stay-at-home.
All the improvements would benefit everyone to some level, IMO.
I was joking about the sewers.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
LIRR and tunnel construction will have no effect on property taxes since neither are funded by property taxes. what sort of tolls and train fare will be needed to support these improvements is a totally fair question, though.

Sewers seem like an improvement worth paying for, no? Unless you want to forfeit your right to complain about groundwater quality and brown tide. Money spent on water quality improvement is money well-spent and truly benefits everyone on Long Island, rich or poor, commuter or stay-at-home.
Knowing the way NYS & LI are they just might find a way to assess taxpayers for this!!

Anyhow they have talked about tunnel/bridge to Conn. many times over the years. Who knows if it will ever happen in our lifetime.

As for Third track for LIRR. HA! I laugh because as we all know they can't even take care of the infrastructure they have now!! Really....spend more money for another LIRR failed fiasco. Especially with how much $$ we are talking about. What will happen they will use this plan to justify huge fare increases. Then the ones that were for it....well they will have more to complain about then. How can this be a good thing. If they forge ahead it will backfire. Think in our hearts we all know that. But who complains about LIRR? No one...because they are so wonderful & perfect.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
I believe the OP meant third track, because LIRR already has a third rail in that stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
As for Third track for LIRR. HA! I laugh because as we all know they can't even take care of the infrastructure they have now!! Really....spend more money for another LIRR failed fiasco. Especially with how much $$ we are talking about. What will happen they will use this plan to justify huge fare increases. Then the ones that were for it....well they will have more to complain about then. How can this be a good thing. If they forge ahead it will backfire. Think in our hearts we all know that. But who complains about LIRR? No one...because they are so wonderful & perfect.
The fares are usually used to fund operating costs, not capital costs. The capital costs usually get a good portion funded by the federal government.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:38 AM

345 posts, read 338,920 times
I'd love the 135 to be extended the way it was originally planned. Toss a tunnel underneath jericho and everyone's houses and call it a day. Should also add an elevated north-south monorail along with the Nicolls Rd expansion from SBU to Patchogue. Add an offshoot to go to the "new" international airport. You'd:

A- transform SBU from a boring STEM uni that is mostly international students coming in and leaving and commuters to a viable SUNY option with easy transportation to an actual town with college-age things to do.

B- would also revitalize the entire suburban structure along the road. How about something other than strip malls in Holtsville/Holbrook/Farmingville? couple blocks of "walking towns" along a stop or two would be outstanding.

C- Offer more places for expansion with the uni and uni hospital with the addition of easy transport to/from the campus. how's a small convention center type thing sound on the grounds? host all sorts of events there instead of the city and bring in $$ from around the country.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
I'd love the 135 to be extended the way it was originally planned. Toss a tunnel underneath jericho and everyone's houses and call it a day.
Trust me the wealthy north shore folks started mobilizing against this before the print was dry in the newspaper article. They will fight it tooth and nail.
I wonder how much public opposition would be against building a tunnel under the entrance to Sunken Meadow State Park to Bridgeport ? The Sagtikos Pkwy already goes there and it's state land ...

Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 AM

414 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
projected costs for the 9.8 mile third rail from Floral Park to Hicksville are between 1.0 and 1.5 billion (!)
Cannot believe they are actually considering another LI Sound crossing once more. The study will determine a possible destination (Bronx, Westchester or CT) and "where the tunnel would start".
A customs inspection facility at McArthur is also being considered, which will allow international flights.
No one in Westchester or CT has any use for a crossing to LI. Not going to happen.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:33 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwap_bonk View Post
No one in Westchester or CT has any use for a crossing to LI. Not going to happen.
Truck traffic to and from New England. I think that is a MAJOR potential benefit. There are some poor souls who live in Westchester who work on Long Island and vice versa. Not to mention beaches and the Hamptons. Also, it would be an alternate route to the airports (especially for people in CT).

Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM

414 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Truck traffic to and from New England. I think that is a MAJOR potential benefit. There are some poor souls who live in Westchester who work on Long Island and vice versa. Not to mention beaches and the Hamptons. Also, it would be an alternate route to the airports (especially for people in CT).
Anyone who does a Westchester/LI commute should be placed in an insane asylum.

There is more of an argument for a connection to CT, but it would obviously benefit LI more than CT.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:29 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwap_bonk View Post
Anyone who does a Westchester/LI commute should be placed in an insane asylum.

There is more of an argument for a connection to CT, but it would obviously benefit LI more than CT.
For sure. My uncle does Westchester to LI and has been doing it for a very long time. No comment as to mental fitness.

I think freight traffic is the point here. Nightmare scenario is that it would make traffic worse if it ends up being used by non-L.I. bound trucks originating in the south to get to New England, i.e. Verazzano to BQE to LIE, to new tunnel. I'd like to think that's more trouble than it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island