Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
If that's all you can come up with then I question whether you've actually set foot in any boro besides driving through them.
Seriously. I don't particularly enjoy going to the city (not my thing, really) but I usually enjoy myself when I do. You don't have to be some fine arts connoisseur or whatever... Everyone loves food. NYC has some of the BEST food in the world, with dining from all over the world. Did I mention the craft beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well said. I live in "God's Country" out here in the Southern Tier, and while it's a comfortable place for me to live, if I want to do serious shopping or enjoy major league sports or see first rate entertainment, I'm trucking 50 miles west to Erie, PA or 80 miles north to Buffalo, NY, neither of which makes anybody's list of "greatest US cities" much less "world class cities". For that, I have to add another 100+ miles to the Buffalo trip to get to Toronto ... and I best not forget my passport.

Of course, all these whiners could do better than LI and move down to the Bible Belt or out to Flyover Country. Then it's 10-30 miles to a town with a Walmart and 100-200 miles to a city with a mall and a multi-screen movie house. That sort of puts "nothing to do" into proper perspective.
Thank you. Living out in the country is great sure, but every up has it's down and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This only holds up if you are fully invested in NYC remaining the massive center of commerce we've always known it to be. However there are cracks in the foundation of that logic as society moves towards a virtual business model and location becomes less important. Post 9/11 has revealed a significantly altered business model for Wall Street and portends of a near future state where the cost of doing business physically in Manhattan is no longer necessary or justifiable. Once that happens, and it will, the value of living nearby will no longer exist. It will result in an unsupportable business model and that is when the financial collapse will occur.

And heaven forbid if another super storm event like Sandy occurs (and experts think that to be extremely likely).
Do you inhabit an alternative universe? There is absolutely no evidence that your prediction has any validity at all. Just the opposite, trends seem to indicate that businesses, jobs, and population will continue to gravitate to the largest and costliest metros: NY, San Francisco, Boston, Washington, LA, Chicago, etc.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I've lived in NYC. I've also lived in Rochester, Minnesota. People who complain about nothing to do in LI have no perspective.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:08 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Well said. I live in "God's Country" out here in the Southern Tier, and while it's a comfortable place for me to live, if I want to do serious shopping or enjoy major league sports or see first rate entertainment, I'm trucking 50 miles west to Erie, PA or 80 miles north to Buffalo, NY, neither of which makes anybody's list of "greatest US cities" much less "world class cities". For that, I have to add another 100+ miles to the Buffalo trip to get to Toronto ... and I best not forget my passport.

Of course, all these whiners could do better than LI and move down to the Bible Belt or out to Flyover Country. Then it's 10-30 miles to a town with a Walmart and 100-200 miles to a city with a mall and a multi-screen movie house. That sort of puts "nothing to do" into proper perspective.
I know Jamestown is small, but the Bible Belt and Flyover Country actually has many more larger cities than what is in your reach in upstate NY, complete with suburbs just like Nassau and Suffolk counties. Not everywhere is 10 to 100 miles from Walmart and multiplexes.

Nice how this discussion got away from the article, which the basic premises is that the average local government salary on Long Island is $71,393, more than a third higher than the private-sector average of $53,133, according to state labor statistics.

Average private sector salary jobs of $53k can be had in many other cities and suburbs throughout the country that are at the national level of the cost of living, not 70% above it. The 20% of the income earners that commute into Manhattan are the only ones with private sector jobs (average salary for a Manhattan job is ~$73K) that can complete for resources (homes, services) with the public sector LI income earners on LI. Median household incomes of $100K indicate that most LI households are at least 2 income households based on the average salary of the area.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Do you inhabit an alternative universe? There is absolutely no evidence that your prediction has any validity at all. Just the opposite, trends seem to indicate that businesses, jobs, and population will continue to gravitate to the largest and costliest metros: NY, San Francisco, Boston, Washington, LA, Chicago, etc.
Well paying back office and support jobs are being moved to lower cost areas, hence their growth. Population growth is more due to a growing immigrant population.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
/\ most successful people work in NYC. Yes, there are lots of crappy jobs on LI.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
What's your source on that?
There are more than a few, here's one that I could recall easily enough: Swiss Re

And of course you should easily recall how several large insurers pulled coverage from Long Island over the past few years as well; that wasn't because they lacked motivation. Weather models and patterns are clearly in favor of more intense storms in the future.

Quote:
I've been working for financial service firms most of my thirty year career, half of that while actually on Wall Street. Most of the divisions and groups I've been part of have been relocated away from Manhattan over the past decade. The large investment firm I now work for has moved most of their operations clear away from major cities and most of the firms I interact with (roughly 400 on a rotating basis) are not in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago (need I go on).... Companies consider geographic diversity an asset and reduced labor costs essential, New York doesn't address either.

The change will continue to be gradual, but it will continue.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ most successful people work in NYC. Yes, there are lots of crappy jobs on LI.
So you only consider 20% of the people on LI as successful? Because they work in NYC?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Godammit *I* want a friggin Disney World!
Hell, Jersey has Great Adventure.
We don't need Florida weather.
We can squeeze out 6 months easy for outdoor theme parks.
Plus, thanks to global warming, in 10 years we'll probably have nice weather all year so we should be planning for the future but our politicians are too stupid to see their hands in front of their faces.

Disney Disney Disney! dammit.
If Paris and Shanghai can have Disney, we should, too, as our average monthly winter temps aren't that much lower than the latter.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If Paris and Shanghai can have Disney, we should, too, as our average monthly winter temps aren't that much lower than the latter.
Great idea ! Tear down the Nassau Coliseum, take the empty land next to it also and your all set. Don't forget to notify the service sector unions of the new jobs that are coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island