Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Yes, I'm the devil. Boo.
I apologize for singling out your posts. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, morals, etc... Your personal beliefs MAYBE shared to some degree by many people nationwide. I can honestly say that I am the biggest advocate for the 1st amendment. If you have a problem with individuals who bring down property value by poor home maintenance, loitering, loud music, rude behavior, or criminal activity, then we are on the same page. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that you over generalize ethnic groups based on stereotypes. So far, I have read posts in which you have attacked Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, and Arabic families. I was in the honor program of the University I attended for my Bachelors Degree. I have friends from this program that represent every race you attacked. It is inconceivable to think that anyone of these individuals will become a detriment to American Society.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,021 times
I appreciate all of the welcoming responses. It is good to hear about the general acceptance of everyone who posted responses. In general my experience has been an excellent one so far.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
I now live in an area that is more diverse than most LI towns. Our school district is constantly bashed & labeled as being "undesirable" even though mostly white districts with similar scores don't carry the same stigma.
LI is segregated & racist for the most part, but most LIers will look you in the eye & say it isn't.
I believe anyone that lives in this country legally and pays their fair share of taxes, conducts themselves in a respectable manner(not drug dealers, other repeat criminals or sex offenders) should be allowed to live where ever they want.
My best friend from childhood is black(which is what she prefers to be called-not AA) unfortunately there were very few kids of her race in our school. There was a boys group home that had a constant influx of inner city boys & a small population of mostly spanish speaking central american kids. And of course her two older brothers that were the stars of our sports teams & got lots of attention from girls of all races.
It was a rough social experience for her...dating was a challenge for her & I know she felt uncomfortable hanging with the girls at times being "different".
Anyway my point is I think she would have enjoyed our high school years more if it were more racially diverse.
I hope your family has found a spot on LI that has that balance & I hope you are happy here.
Trust me, we are not all jackazzes.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,360 times
to the OP, what kellyfg said is you certainly have a right to live wherever you want, but you have to consider what the impact on your children would be, though she said it a magnitude nicer than me

Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Give Minorities a chance

I apologize for anyone who has made you feel less than welcome. Remember that it is their loss, though. Not yours.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
It always amazes and saddens me when people castigate an entire culture because of a a few (usually hard-working) people whom they deem to be unworthy . What many people do not realize is that Mexicans come from a culture where humility and respect for family is highly valued. Some of us could do well to learn from them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times
While I am an ex-pat of LI, your observations being one of many many reasons, still would like to welcome you to LI.

Sadly, the backward and closed-minded ways can be found all over this world. Yes, in csome areas of the US it is worse than others, and in some areas of LI it is far worse than others. It comes down to the individual, and the manner in which they raise their children (sharing their ignorant beliefs). it is human nature to flock together with "their own kind," so their are areas on LI that are chock full of "don't ruin our neighborhood and property values with your kind". But, there are also those that live incognito, and rear their ugly heads, and opinions, in the most surprising ways.

I agree completely that LI in "general" needs to wake up, and understand that the face of America has changed, and we should all judge and support each other based on who we are, not what we look like or how much money we make or how big our house is or what car we drive.

I wish you nothing but the best and success. Hang in there, and just be cautious and careful as you learn about your neighbors, your co-workers, and the parents of your children's peers. You are a smart person, you will be able to tell which ones to aviod, to ignore, and to support!

Cheers

Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I've always found LI to be segregated, even more so than here in the Capital of the Confederacy. Always found it odd considering that most everyone is from somewhere else and it's boom years were during the civil rights movement.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investigator01 View Post
My wife and I have recently moved to Long Island from the Midwest. I have read a lot of comments on this forum, and have mixed feelings. We are an educated African American couple. We both have Masters Degrees and good careers. I have read some pleasing comments about the acceptance of different cultures, and I have also read some disheartening and disgusting comments. We are extremely nice, courteous and responsible individuals. I should not have to submit our personal qualifications to prove that we are eligible to live in a certain neighborhood, but I wanted to dispel certain stereotypes. We moved in a predominantly white area in Minnesota two years ago, and were embraced from the moment of our arrival. We participated in every neighborhood event, and made every effort to maintain the beauty of the community. The comments that I have read from individuals like GCGuy have some what broken my spirit. I anticipated a diverse community with general acceptance on Long Island. I am not naive; I know that certain demographics have some challenging social issues. These issues are NOT a genetic trait based on their heritage. I would like everyone on this site and Long Island to judge your new or existing neighbor based on their character and not their nationality.
This post saddens me...for what it's worth, I've never encountered Long Islanders that were as downright frightened and horrified by anything non-white as the group that post on this board in real life. Maybe people are just more inclined to keep to themselves about it when you're speaking face to face? It's really hard to say. Even the "encouraging" replies in this thread seem kind of passively racist to me. "Oh, well as long as you're not that kind of black people, that's not what we want in our neighborhood". Please....can't believe it's 2008 and these attitudes still exist.

Hope things work out well for you, let us know how it goes!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
This post saddens me...for what it's worth, I've never encountered Long Islanders that were as downright frightened and horrified by anything non-white as the group that post on this board in real life.
I have in my old neighborhood. It was OK for schools to be mixed and to work with black people, but if they wanted to move into your neighborhood people were up on arms.
My wife saw it too in Laurel Hollow which you would think if a person could afford a house there then their skin color wouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island