Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 PM

755 posts, read 1,085,184 times

Advertisements

The $6,000 you are paying the architect, I'm guessing that doesn't include having him come out throughout the buildout? Since you are not an expert in this field. It won't hurt to negotiate a few hours of work for him to come out a couple days to make sure the builder is doing the work correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Am I correct in remembering that you are a new home owner? If so, you should speak to friends who have gone through this process. There's really no rush to close a work permit on your permanent home. Your town should be in a rush because they want your tax increase. But from the home owner side, why am I rushing to have my taxes increased over 5,000 a year.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

67 posts, read 151,487 times
Default Architect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Is it the responsibility of the builder, architect or the home owner?

How long does it take to obtain CO in the ToNH?

If the plans are approved by the town and the builder's follows the plans is it complected to obtain the CO? Can we do it our self?

Kodi,

I sent you a Direct Message.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM

188 posts, read 236,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Am I correct in remembering that you are a new home owner? If so, you should speak to friends who have gone through this process. There's really no rush to close a work permit on your permanent home. Your town should be in a rush because they want your tax increase. But from the home owner side, why am I rushing to have my taxes increased over 5,000 a year.
Well my husbands first time and we are buying under his name. How long can we wait without closing the permits? Won't the town wonder and follow up? Don't have any friends that did this which is why I'm asking questions here LOL.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 PM

12 posts, read 12,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Well my husbands first time and we are buying under his name. How long can we wait without closing the permits? Won't the town wonder and follow up? Don't have any friends that did this which is why I'm asking questions here LOL.
Check with your town. In Huntington, building permits expire 1 year after they are issued. So, you obviously want to close them out before then. You can extend them twice for additional 1 year periods (costs $).

Also, +1 for not paying an Architect $15,000. Applying for permits and getting a CO is not worth $9,000. Even $6,000 may be high, so I'd get a couple other quotes. And, make sure you really like your Architect. You're going to spend a bit of time interacting with him, and ultimately, he's designing your new home.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:07 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,236,246 times
As long as you have obtained the proper permits, once the work is complete, you call the inspectors and have them inspect and the Co's are issued. There is nothing to getting it as long as your work is done via permit , done to code and done correctly.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:26 AM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Terrible advice. When they go to close the permit 20 years from now or whenever they want to sell they will have to bring everything to that current code. Also in some jurisdictions permits expire in a year so then you need a whole new permit.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Terrible advice. When they go to close the permit 20 years from now or whenever they want to sell they will have to bring everything to that current code. Also in some jurisdictions permits expire in a year so then you need a whole new permit.
No one said to wait 20 years. Building codes don't have major changes in 5 years. You think they're going to say you Can't build your house with wood anymore, you have to build it with brick. How much do you think a new permit costs? 1k in expenses compare to doubling your taxes every year.

She's not doing an illegal buildout. She's going through a legal build out with full inspections.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,236,246 times
Quote:
No one said to wait 20 years. Building codes don't have major changes in 5 years. You think they're going to say you Can't build your house with wood anymore, you have to build it with brick. How much do you think a new permit costs? 1k in expenses compare to doubling your taxes every year.

She's not doing an illegal buildout. She's going through a legal build out with full inspections.

This is ill advised in TNH. I know three people who did this recently and got burned. Not so much because the codes changed in two cases just because they can.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,898,578 times
Quote:

It's bad advice and it's also tax fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island