Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM

755 posts, read 1,085,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
It's bad advice and it's also tax fraud.
It's not tax fraud. It's illegal use of a space without a CO. Stop trying to sound smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,898,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
It's not tax fraud. It's illegal use of a space without a CO. Stop trying to sound smart.
Tax fraud is a general term which can trigger many different laws found in Title 26 (the Internal Revenue Code) and Title 18 of the United States Code (or “USC”). The core distinguishing feature of tax fraud is a taxpayer's intent to defraud the government by not paying taxes that he knows are lawfully due.

Stop trying to sound foolish.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM

22,730 posts, read 36,962,387 times
Not sure he's trying.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is ill advised in TNH. I know three people who did this recently and got burned. Not so much because the codes changed in two cases just because they can.
ok, then probably abad idea for OP. Still, I would suggest you not close your permit until you have to. Pay the extensions and use as many extensions as you can get. It's going to be a lot cheaper then the tax increase.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Tax fraud is a general term which can trigger many different laws found in Title 26 (the Internal Revenue Code) and Title 18 of the United States Code (or “USC”). The core distinguishing feature of tax fraud is a taxpayer's intent to defraud the government by not paying taxes that he knows are lawfully due.

Stop trying to sound foolish.
If it was tax fraud, you don't think the county will penalize the offender and recuperate the lost taxes? Not closing a permit and getting a CO is a building dept violation, and the most they can do is fine you and make you start the process over again and obtain a COC. Thus all the threads of homeowners getting COs for all their alterations when they try to sell and how much they have to spend to do so.

Congrats are on joining in on the foolish talk.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:03 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,898,578 times
Quote:
If it was tax fraud, you don't think the county will penalize the offender and recuperate the lost taxes? Not closing a permit and getting a CO is a building dept violation, and the most they can do is fine you and make you start the process over again and obtain a COC. Thus all the threads of homeowners getting COs for all their alterations when they try to sell and how much they have to spend to do so.

Congrats are on joining in on the foolish talk.
No. Those threads are of people who bought homes without proper CO'S and now that they are trying to sell they want to make everything legal because banks take it more serious nowadays. You are advising tax fraud. That's some real sheisty behavior. Can't wait till president Trump sets people like you straight.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,358,866 times
Quote:
No one said to wait 20 years. Building codes don't have major changes in 5 years. You think they're going to say you Can't build your house with wood anymore, you have to build it with brick. How much do you think a new permit costs? 1k in expenses compare to doubling your taxes every year.

She's not doing an illegal buildout. She's going through a legal build out with full inspections.
Not sure what town your in, I only have experience with town of hempstead and Nassau county.

My permit for my dormer was open across years. They came out to assess how much was complete in order to adjust the tax base.

In my opinion, there doesn't appear to be a benefit to keeping the permit open.

As for the CO, it ultimately falls upon the homeowner, or whomever has agreed to do it. We acted as the GC and got ours ourselves. Getting it isn't really that hard, its making sure you have the final sign off from the inspectors, plumbing, electric and building. Primarily those fall upon the contractors.

The Arch that we used was bare bones, he did plans and got the permit, no inspections or anything. He had to change the plans after the permit to accommodate a minor change and the inspector's nit picking, and we got charged for that. Overall still a good price and I feel we got what we paid for. I think we were all in at $3500 for the Arch. Plus permit fees etc.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,962,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
My permit for my dormer was open across years. They came out to assess how much was complete in order to adjust the tax base.You're right - same thing happened to me now that I think about it. The open permit triggers the assessment, not the CO

As for the CO, it ultimately falls upon the homeowner, or whomever has agreed to do it.
Yes. If the contractor or whoever says they will get it and they renege, you can't go crying to the town saying it's their fault it never happened. The town paperwork is very clear - it is the responsibility of the homeowner to make sure all permits are properly closed. So choose wisely if you leave it to someone else.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,344,123 times
Just to be clear, it is the homeowner's responsibility to get all permits, pass all inspections, and obtain the CO for this type of project. So, if the homeowner pays someone to handle these things, it's still the homeowner's responsibility to ensure they are done. Same as with hiring an accountant to do one's income tax returns...the taxpayer is responsible for the accuracy and proper filing of the tax return.

It is always better for the homeowner to be the intermediary between the architect and builder, though each should have a good working relationship, so that the homeowner is an integral part of the builder-architect interaction.

Never use a builder's architect. The architect should be the superior authority on how the builder builds; not the other way around (the builder being the superior authority on how the architect designs).

All good architects (worth hiring) know exactly what things cost and will create a design well within the homeowner's budget.

The more one adds to the builder's responsibility, the more one is likely to pay too much and have problems getting the project finished on time, within budget, and with satisfaction. Keep it simple and get the builder offsite (completed) a.s.a.p.

It is better to have a builder that knows how to build very well but doesn't know how to oversee interior finishes than it is to have a builder that purports to "do it all" very well....such builders don't exist.

When one hires the trades separately, one is more likely to have mistakes pointed out as each trade has no invested interested to help the other conceal something that is wrong.

Don't pay anyone their retainage until after the final inspection of their work has been passed.

Oh, and if something isn't in writing, it doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island