Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:43 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles
Well since your interview technique has lead to many dead end jobs so yeah give it a go. I'm sure you'll come off as just the kind of guy they want to issue a gun,taser, handcuffs and powers to detain and arrest people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
They were joke interviews lol...places like northwestern mutual and ameriprise - the cold calling places that advertise on every college campus. These are jobs no one wants but most people use them as fodder for practicing interview skills.
Folks who make excuses for their own failures may not be successful in any field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
1. Take and pass the exam with a high passing score, be prepared to wait YEARS for a call if ever before the list expires.

2. Pass fitness test/medical. Wait again.

3. Pass psyche which does in fact include a poly for both agencies. You get caught in a lie or they simply don't like you you are done. Wait again.

4. Get conditional offer. Wait for academy date which depending on budget could again take forever.

5. Get sworn in.

If you seriously have no actual interest in LE and you just want the money this isn't the career for you. Also be aware the pay scale isn't what it used to be. Suffolk is 12 years to top pay Nassau is 9.
I thought Suffolk pays better than Nassau?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I am in great shape and have no record of anything criminal activity. I'm just looking to consistently earn 100K each year with possibilities for overtime. I just want a stable career where my income is consistent (even at modest raises).

It's a lot safer than NYPD too and you get to wear body armor, so getting shot won't hurt . I could probably fill my ticket quota nabbing people on parking tickets. Most of the ones here are glorified meter maids and speed trappers.

Not joking - I am actually considering this as a career move. I am 27. Maybe my delivery is not very sincere, but am I right or am I right??

The white collar approach has failed. It's just too daunting to commute to the city ,deal with the subways, pay a fortune every month despite all the delays, and still fight hard to keep a job that barely keeps me above water and that may fire me once I hit 50.

I thought I could avoid the public strangehold over the taxpayers - just by doing a little better than them, but like they say, if you can't beat 'em, join them.
If you can't figure out where to start the process, please stay off our streets.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:17 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Namogel

Why not become an astronaut? Fits your sole criteria - public sector job (now that you've failed in the private sector).

Oh and BTW, I have seen I Dream of Jeannie and that job seems like a cinch.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Is the OP aware that many NYPD wants to work for Suffolk or Nassau? They are willing to give it all up & go thru the process again!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
/\ NYC cops transfer all the time with little process.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ NYC cops transfer all the time with little process.
its not a simple transfer.

If I am correct, over 10,000 apply...a few hundred get in.....People with experience being a PO or military do have an upper hand. People like the OP here is low on the totem pole.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
its not a simple transfer.

If I am correct, over 10,000 apply...a few hundred get in.....People with experience being a PO or military do have an upper hand. People like the OP here is low on the totem pole.
OP seems like an unsuccessful adult looking to blame others for his shortcomings.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Me thinks a 3 second Google search will bring up Suffolk County civil service and info on the police exam. Maybe investigating things isn't for you, though.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I always wanted to be president. Or a ballerina. Or, a hitman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island