Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,770 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a home for almost a year now and it has been overwhelming to say the least. We started our search in Nassau County in North Shore school district but had no luck finding anything suitable within our budget ($450k). We eventually broadened our search to include Northport and Centerport/Greenlawn.
We love the feel of both towns and they are both really great school districts. We lean towards Harborfields because we like the fact that it is a much smaller district. Also, and this might sound crazy-the fact that Northport HS is next to a power plant really freaks me out.
All that being said, we have had a difficult time finding a home in Harborfields. Everything we've seen in Centerport is super hilly with almost an unusable yard, or needs a ton of work. We've seen a few homes we like (and put offers on) in Greenlawn, but nothing has worked out yet. Besides all that, several people have tried to steer us away from the Huntington section of Harborfields and even the sliver of Greenlawn that borders it. If we listen to their advice, this cuts out almost 50% of the houses that are in our budget.
Anyone live in Northport and have any insight on what it's like living/going to school so close to a huge power plant?
Anyone have any insight as to why the homes in the Huntington section of Harborfields and the section of Greenlwan that borders are considered of lesser value?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
There's no need to cut out any part of Greenlawn. I grew up in Huntington and my best friend lives in Greenlawn (college section) for over 20 years. While the nearby area of Huntington Station is not nice, it has never grown past where it is in all these years. I know two other people who've lived there for years and years - all of these people could easily afford an upgrade but haven't bothered as there is no need.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisokfamily View Post
We have been looking for a home for almost a year now and it has been overwhelming to say the least. We started our search in Nassau County in North Shore school district but had no luck finding anything suitable within our budget ($450k). We eventually broadened our search to include Northport and Centerport/Greenlawn.
We love the feel of both towns and they are both really great school districts. We lean towards Harborfields because we like the fact that it is a much smaller district. Also, and this might sound crazy-the fact that Northport HS is next to a power plant really freaks me out.
All that being said, we have had a difficult time finding a home in Harborfields. Everything we've seen in Centerport is super hilly with almost an unusable yard, or needs a ton of work. We've seen a few homes we like (and put offers on) in Greenlawn, but nothing has worked out yet. Besides all that, several people have tried to steer us away from the Huntington section of Harborfields and even the sliver of Greenlawn that borders it. If we listen to their advice, this cuts out almost 50% of the houses that are in our budget.
Anyone live in Northport and have any insight on what it's like living/going to school so close to a huge power plant?
Anyone have any insight as to why the homes in the Huntington section of Harborfields and the section of Greenlwan that borders are considered of lesser value?
Thanks so much!
I went to Northport High School. Northport High School is absolutely not near the power plant. The power plant is miles away in the Crab Meadow area. Look at houses in East Northport 11731. There will be more selection in your price range and same Northport School District (or Elwood School District south of Clay Pitts, also really good). There are plenty of sections of East Northport that have the same wooded secluded feel of Northport. Look north of the train tracks: Houses there are considered East Northport until Valley Road. All of East Northport is nice though, it just has a different feel depending on the neighborhood.

People have varying opinions of the power plant. It does keep taxes down, and Northport Village remains one of the most desirable ares in western Suffolk. Frankly, the immediate area around or in view of the power plant is in an area that will be largely out of your price range anyway!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
Its a sub-station next to the high school... Just a bunch of transformers and what not, to step down the power and distribute it around town. I suppose someone's concern might be EMF, but I went through Northport <tick> High School <tick>, and so far I feel <tick> fine!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
Its a sub-station next to the high school... Just a bunch of transformers and what not, to step down the power and distribute it around town. I suppose someone's concern might be EMF, but I went through Northport <tick> High School <tick>, and so far I feel <tick> fine!
Oh that thing? Seriously?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM

592 posts, read 919,838 times
For reference, most recent Town of Huntington NYS test scores (percent proficient) for grades 3-8

Math:

Cold Spring Harbor 72
Half Hollow Hills 65
Elwood 61
Commack 61
Northport 59
Harborfields 59
Huntington 38
South Huntington 37

ELA:

Cold Spring Harbor 63
Harborfields 61
Commack 54
Half Hollow Hills 54
Northport 54
Elwood 54
Huntington 39
South Huntington 39

Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
For reference, most recent Town of Huntington NYS test scores (percent proficient) for grades 3-8

Math:

Cold Spring Harbor 72
Half Hollow Hills 65
Elwood 61
Commack 61
Northport 59
Harborfields 59
Huntington 38
South Huntington 37

ELA:

Cold Spring Harbor 63
Harborfields 61
Commack 54
Half Hollow Hills 54
Northport 54
Elwood 54
Huntington 39
South Huntington 39
Yea but Huntington is better than the numbers suggest. Look at SATs for a slightly different perspective. These are all districts that are solid, SH might be a little weaker than the rest and CSH is pretty much exclusively wealthy, but there are good options all around at all price points in the Town of Huntington. note that most of CSH and Commack are not actually in the Town of Huntington.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 PM

137 posts, read 272,773 times
I live in the Huntington section of Greenlawn (HF SD).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The criticism of it has to nothing to do with the area itself, which is great and also a great value for the area.

The criticism, put in real terms that people don't want to admit, is that there is a black neighborhood south of Little Plains Road. It is not crime heavy or anything at all, but if your friends and relatives that "are set in their ways" may think the area is not great b/c it is close to a black neighborhood. So, visitors to the area will drive up Broadway, and will pass the black neighborhood, with a park that will be being used by black people. Also, there are three strip malls on Broadway in that area that are frequented by people that don't have white skin.

I've lived here for quite some time and have absolutely no complaints and my kids are in the same school district as everyone else. I would highly recommend you check out that area.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Yea but Huntington is better than the numbers suggest. Look at SATs for a slightly different perspective. These are all districts that are solid, SH might be a little weaker than the rest and CSH is pretty much exclusively wealthy, but there are good options all around at all price points in the Town of Huntington. note that most of CSH and Commack are not actually in the Town of Huntington.
I dare say, most of the residents for CSH schools are in the Town of Huntington (Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck). A smaller number is in the Town of Oyster Bay (Oyster Bay Cove and Laurel Hollow in Nassau County).

Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I dare say, most of the residents for CSH schools are in the Town of Huntington (Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck). A smaller number is in the Town of Oyster Bay (Oyster Bay Cove and Laurel Hollow in Nassau County).
Yeah, I think it is about 60% TOH and 40% TOB. Lloyd Harbor/West Side elementary numbers are about that as I recall. CSH plays sports in Nassau so that confuses some folks.

Back to the topic, Northport is the way to go if you ask me. Harborfields School District may be a bit stronger but on a range of other issues I'd lean Northport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island