Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Mangano and NIFA had 3 years, I repeat 3 years, of illegally freezing county wages. Many new cops were frozen at $35,000 a year as well as police medics, and CSEA workers.

SO why was there no money saved????

Mangano continued to spend taxpayer money on $14 million dollar turf fields in parks, hiring political hacks to replace county workers at double the pay, some starting at $100,000+. NIFA did nothing to regulate Mangano's spending and giving away taxpayer money to his donors. Yet nothing is done!

If you see a private company doing work in the county simply Google the name with "Ed Mangano" and you will see how much they donated to his campaign or the Hicksville Republican Club.

How is this not illegal and no one goes to jail?
They have done a decent job of reducing payroll but there are still any number of contracts and spending still remains at very high levels. If you can't cut spending then you need to raise taxes, these one shots and optimistic income projections are just a mirage to come up with a real budget. NIFA can only control spending, they cannot dictate raising taxes. All this smoke and mirrors to avoid a simple $40 per household increase is tough to fathom but that is exactly the problem we had with Purcell & Gulotta that got us here.

We also have the issue with borrowing to cover real estate taxes due to over assessment of $100M, it should be part of the budget. I think by now it is predictable shortfall and no longer a surprise each year.

Well at least Maragos is finally taking some responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We also have the issue with borrowing to cover real estate taxes due to over assessment of $100M, it should be part of the budget. I think by now it is predictable shortfall and no longer a surprise each year.
Thats another issue Mangano said he would fix but there are 5-6 law firms all doing the assessments which benefit from the dysfunction. They all seem to donate to the Nassau GOP so we now see why it will never be changed!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
http://youtu.be/R31Vfkfhyls

http://youtu.be/wEQ7PJkYL9o

Old 09-28-2016, 03:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,014 times
Just from this part of the article...

'As a group that represents motorists expressed alarm over the new fee Monday, Mangano said it was preferable to property tax hikes that impact more people. He stressed the need for more police officers, particularly to guard against terror threats.

“It’s a specific fee with a specific purpose,” Mangano, a Republican, said in an interview, noting that some of the ticket fees would be paid by non-county residents. “It doesn’t burden the tax base.”'

...one can tell Mangano is a "Trump Republican" for whom the consideration is:

"How can I preserve the sound bite ("I held the line on property taxes"), while suggesting someone else will pay for something that benefits us (not Mexico in this case but out of county residents paying for county police), while shifting costs to those less able to afford it (people with cars include people who can't afford a house), while courting a voting block (police unions) at the expense of the individual.

If Mangano was seriously sincere about the problem paying for the cure, he'd impose a tax on SUV's and bullets and a fee only on speeding tickets. Expired parking meters cannot be considered a safety issue; nor are county police on the front line of preventing terrorism (that's what the FBI does).

Old 09-28-2016, 06:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
^ I don't agree with the need for more law enforcement, especially for terrorism prevention, but the part about having law-breakers make up for the deficit instead of everyone sounds fine by me. I've already said that in the red light camera thread. Sure, some of these tickets may not be just, but they are not the majority. Once again, there needs to be new ways of reducing this deficit so no decision that actually generates revenue will be popular.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-28-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
The idea of implementing a stealth tax under the auspices of a safety program is reprehensible. Just as the Federal Government is finally moving away from profiteering off of the criminal justice system and incentivizing law enforcement to earn revenue, Nassau County is monetizing law enforcement to fund, you guessed it, themselves. I question whether this program is even Constitutional or starts to fall into the realm of an unconstitutional taking. I mean, the County isn't even pretending that the increases have anything to do with safety.

And the reference to terrorism is ridiculous. Wouldn't depend on the Nassau County PD to root out a dandelion, nevermind a complex terrorist cell.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The idea of implementing a stealth tax under the auspices of a safety program is reprehensible. Just as the Federal Government is finally moving away from profiteering off of the criminal justice system and incentivizing law enforcement to earn revenue, Nassau County is monetizing law enforcement to fund, you guessed it, themselves. I question whether this program is even Constitutional or starts to fall into the realm of an unconstitutional taking. I mean, the County isn't even pretending that the increases have anything to do with safety.

And the reference to terrorism is ridiculous. Wouldn't depend on the Nassau County PD to root out a dandelion, nevermind a complex terrorist cell.
I agree. Empowering law enforcement to generate revenue for themselves, even if it is a de facto way of keeping their outrageous salaries afloat, is a very dangerous proposition and not one anyone should support.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
even if it is a de facto way of keeping their outrageous salaries afloat, .
What would be a reasonable salary on LI? Also remember civil servants take years to get to anywhere near a livable wage on LI....including cops.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:23 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Agree, we already saw this with school district speed cameras to prevent all those accidents against children. This is just the same thing in another form but at least they aren't claiming this is a bout safety.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:35 PM

34 posts, read 31,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
data is 5 years stale but it obviously higher now...amazing some can top 700k a year!! (due to early retirement incentive)

Nassau County police officers' salaries=;|
Oh don't you understand .... that is why our taxes are soo high...so we can pay their inflated salarieslol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island