Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:31 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,216,570 times

Advertisements

Ever notice some of these companies can't manage to keep employees for more than a a year or so? These are companies doing a nice business on Long Island, make some decent bucks, hiring a dozen or more people - yet nobody stays. A few months, a year maybe two at most.

Where are they all going? Why can't these companies keep their employees happy? Or is it that they can't find decent help and have to keep firing everyone? Or maybe they're just completely dysfunctional but somehow manage to keep their business floating and dollars coming in despite their chaotic management.

Just seems like if you try and find a contact in a LI business - they're usually gone. Directories are never current because personnel changes so rapidly.

Except civil service jobs. And those are the people you'd actually like to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,543,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Ever notice some of these companies can't manage to keep employees for more than a a year or so? These are companies doing a nice business on Long Island, make some decent bucks, hiring a dozen or more people - yet nobody stays. A few months, a year maybe two at most.

Where are they all going? Why can't these companies keep their employees happy? Or is it that they can't find decent help and have to keep firing everyone? Or maybe they're just completely dysfunctional but somehow manage to keep their business floating and dollars coming in despite their chaotic management.

Just seems like if you try and find a contact in a LI business - they're usually gone. Directories are never current because personnel changes so rapidly.

Except civil service jobs. And those are the people you'd actually like to get rid of.
Many simply just don't pay very well, especially compared to Manhattan.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Many simply just don't pay very well, especially compared to Manhattan.
This.

I left a small law firm on LI for a higher paying job in the city. I was there 9 months. Plus most small LI businesses force employees to pay crazy premiums for health insurance. The solo I worked for had a crappy insurance plan where almost $500 was deducted from my paycheck every month just for basic coverage (and I didnt have dental!)

Old 09-23-2016, 05:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,919,313 times
- LI jobs tend to pay like crap.
- Many middle class Long Islanders leave for other parts of the country.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
- LI jobs tend to pay like crap.
Is this because their lease/rent is so expensive that they can't afford to? Are they just not profitable here?

If you venture into other expensive area's forums, you'll see many pay 6 figures easily (ie. San Jose). But do companies in their suburbs pay equivalent to here?

Last edited by ovi8; 09-23-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 AM

20,281 posts, read 21,044,722 times
Yeah screw small business. Hope they all go under and all we have are large corporate type business.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:59 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,835,703 times
Cause the employees are jumping ship to grab up all those berry picking jobs the illegals are leaving to become doctors and lawyers.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Is this because their lease/rent is so expensive that they can't afford to? Are they just not profitable here?

If you venture into other expensive area's forums, you'll see many pay 6 figures easily (ie. San Jose). But do companies in their suburbs pay equivalent to here?
Not necessarily - could be many reasons. Office space could actually be cheaper on LI than the city so I don't see that as a driving factor.

For my particular ex-employer, the partner who ran the small business deliberately paid less because his income stream came from only 1 or 2 clients and thus he could only afford to hire 5 to 7 people. It was cheaper to hire 4 people and pay them, let's say...$35K/yr each than hiring 2 people and paying them $80K/yr each.

Also, the pool of workers are self-selecting - lots of workers choosing not to commute to Manhattan because they wanted to be closer to their kids' schools and/or needed to attend to child-care responsibilities. Anecdotally, several ex-coworkers became mothers and only wanted to work part-time so they took whatever jobs they could get at whatever low salaries they were offered.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,216,570 times
So basically salary? I'd get if they were all going to the city for bigger bucks but they seem to just move back and forth between different LI jobs. Sometimes they're jumping to different industries but mostly I'm finding the same people within an industry jbut ust jumping between competitors. Disposable employees. Eratic bosses. I guess the low pay and lousy benefits means neither gives up much or misses much.

Legal Diva - lawyers seem to be the absolute worse. Big firms seem to manage to stay somewhat intact at the partner level but associates and support staff change over at the drop of a hat for sure. Every time I call for something - almost a completely new office turns over seemingly annually or sooner. I feel for you.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,769,170 times
Low salaries, no benefits or lousy ones, a big staff of part-time employees working at the same company without healthcare, 401K, etc. This is the new economy. The workers consist of people who are "supplementing" the prime breadwinner in the family. Without the commute into the city, they can pick up the milk on the way home, prepare dinner, pick up the kids, etc. The boss cuts their hours and then they move over to a competitor. Rinse, repeat. Small companies can do this because there are so many people here who were displaced, perpetually looking, went in and out of the workforce, and their backgrounds do not get accurately reflected in all the statistics about employment or unemployment. These people are for whatever reason, locked into Long Island and they are biding their time until whenever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island