Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
you claim in your field, your benefits are far better. I am just chiming in its not better on LI. All my insurance & commute is all taken care of......I definitely am not complaining.
You didn't answer any of my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
You didn't answer any of my questions.
I won't because its pointless with you. We all been around this block before. You response is always typical.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:31 PM

34 posts, read 31,043 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
- LI jobs tend to pay like crap.
- Many middle class Long Islanders leave for other parts of the country.

Exactly ...my husband is dong a compressed workweek in Virginia ....yes Virginia. Will we relocate down there? Not sure unless he can get a transfer to their Queens location ...again ...not Nassau County!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Assuming that is true, then it makes sense for employers to offer a larger base salary with a larger deduction for health insurance.
I would say this might be true only in those cases where the employer is seeking unsophisticated employees to fill a position quickly. It really depends on "how does the higher base salary compare with the larger deductible" and does the employee think this makes a difference to their economic well being.

Younger people, with a good health history, may want the higher base salary thinking they won't need the health care. Older people or younger people with health concerns may see it's better to take a lower salary with a lower deductible. It's situational and the dollar amounts matter.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
This discussion has degenerated into another work in NYC vs. LI argument.

The Original Topic was Small LI Companies-not global insurance companies, not companies with offices in other states. Small businesses-small law partnerships with 1-3 lawyers, medical practices with (not urgent care chains) with 1-4 doctors plus support staff, a small contractor, plumbers with a storefront office, a small company that is a distributor of beverages to the airlines, a small inport/export company, an independent physical therapy place etc. Not the owners of these companies, but the staff who supports them. It's a revolving door. Even the PTs that I have met (not the head PT who owns the business), they jump from place to place, even though these are above minimum wage jobs. You expect hair stylists to change salons fairly often, but now it's everyone else too.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I will confess that I missed the word "small" when I first responded to this thread. Sorry.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:19 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
I will confess that I missed the word "small" when I first responded to this thread. Sorry.
[not directed toward mitsguy2001, just using quote for context of my post]

One of my issues, when politicians discuss "small businesses", is the definition of "small business". People, in general, tend to think of businesses that have about a dozen employees. Actually, such businesses are competing with much larger ones for Small Business Administration (SBA) grants and other assistance. The larger "small" business tends to get all the SBA attention. [This is true for non-SBA programs, as well; which tend to use the SBA definition of small business]

Even U.S. based multi-national corporations can, or could, create a wholly owned "small businesses" subsidiary and get SBA grants and low-interest loans depending on how the multi-national structured the "small business".

In this thread, the topic is small LI companies. Depending on the industry and the function/product of that small LI company, it could have up to $38.5 million in receipts or 1,500 employees.

https://www.sba.gov/contracting/gett...size-standards

When one hears a politician talk about "America's small businesses", generally, they're referring to the big, small businesses. The tax incentives, low interest loans, grants, etc. rarely, if ever, go to the small, small businesses because these are less likely to show numbers that make for good agency pronouncements.

[Edit: btw, I was under contract with an Industrial Development Agency (IDA) to help small, small businesses with their grant/loan applications]

Last edited by James1202; 10-01-2016 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: clarification/justification text

Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
In our industry since 2010 there has been a best of breed employee shortgage . For years now employers have just been stealing employees from each other .

Each go a round offers more and more. I have been in the electrical supply business for 40 years and never saw this kind of demand and turnover in my entire career.

2008 gave employers a chance to clean house of marginal employees. At this point anyone still unemployed in our field is likely someone no one wants to hire.

We started life in 1998 doing 8 million dollars with 12 employees and we should break 100 million this year.We grew from 50 to 135 emloyees since 2008 and the demand for people and finding people has been greater than supply. Just finding employees who can pass a drug test ,background check and credit check is a chore .
that is true whether it is for a driver or right up to engineer.

Right now money talks and the money being thrown around to attract emloyees from competitors has been very attractive . We see continual movement in employee's now.

For someone in electrical sales with a following you can write your own pay check . I retired more than a year ago and still get crazy offers from competitors.

I still teach motor controls and variable frequency drives to the newbees a few times a month there , since i retired.

So while our industry see a big turnover it is because of the pirateing of employees all around

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-01-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-01-2016, 09:44 AM

157 posts, read 379,340 times
Larger companies offer more quality of life options such as working from home, day care, and family leave. Benefits are usually better also. I work for a small company and prefer it because I find it more diversified and interesting. My company doesn't even give one day off for a death in the family.

Matt

Old 10-01-2016, 09:52 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
When one of the company's i worked for was having financial issues a co worker said to me he was leaving and going to work for a large national distributor.

He said he had it working for small company's .

So he went to work for a fortune 500 company.

6 months later he was qutting. He said not only didn't his superiors even know his name but they had no idea what department he was even in. He went to a small company who was a competitor of ours where he has been the last 18 years.

Bigger is not always better. I keep telling my wife that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island