Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 PM

75 posts, read 110,758 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We're looking to convert our existing oil service with National Grid Gas. I've confirmed that there is gas infrastructure for our block.

Being unfamiliar to the process, I assume there will be some digging required to run the gas lines into the house. We have a paver driveway in pretty good shape, as well as 2-3 ft retaining walls for the front yard. If National Grid needs to run the pipes under the driveway, would they cover the cost of repaving or is that something the owner is responsible for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,174,546 times
1. National Grid covers the first 100 ft.
Anything beyond that is the homeowner's responsibility; I've been told by them that at this point it can be around $100/ft, give or take.
2. It is my understanding that they will not cover the cost of repaving, but that's only hearsay, not "from the horse's mouth".

Old 09-30-2016, 03:10 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,407,010 times
We had a gas line and meter in our house but it was in our basement all the way on the other side of the basement far away from the boiler. Once we convert our boiler to natural gas we moved the meter to the side of our house right next to our boiler. They (Nat Grid) were able to run a pipe from the street all the way to back side of our house without doing any damage to any of our pavers but had to tear up a small area to run the pipe.

I would assume that they could do the same for you. But the area underneath the meter was filled in with concrete which was done nicely. If they are going to setup and run the meter where you have pavers then you will lose that paved area and it will most likely be filled in with concrete.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 PM

75 posts, read 110,758 times
Great insight. Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island