Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 10,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
I thought this was decided/why are you letting her suffer/sorry to be hard but you KNOW your dog is suffering.
I just cannot do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannie2017 View Post
I just cannot do it.
It's not easy - I've done it 4 times and it doesn't get easier - but if you love your friend, you'll end the suffering. Get it done. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM

She gets better today and she actually barked in the evening ! Not that sleepy and dizzy anymore . Maybe the fever reducer and anti inflammation drugs are working

Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraK123 View Post
I was going to do this for our pup but ended up just going to our usual Vet. I hated taking our girl to the office for her final trip but they made the room nice and peaceful for us and it was a bit easier for us to leave there rather than have her taken out of the house. I was always curious about it though. Does your $350 include remain disposal? Because that price seems very low for a service like that. I think we paid that for our office visit, not including cremation. We decided to pay extra for a private cremation. Part of me hated spending extra on that, and I know we'd never get all her ashes pure no matter what, but I hated the idea of only having some of her ashes and some of other pets. Silly what we do when our loyal friend's time with us is up but even my husband, who is very cheap, didn't hesitate to spring for that extra service. Sorry for your loss. Maybe you can call the Vet to see if they can recommend anyone?
I do the same thing and its been more like $500 plus for a private cremation and to get the remains home but the pets are all together in the same pet memorial tin (separate "bags" of ashes of course) and it just feels right to bring them home for their final resting place and gave us peace of mind.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
Quote:
She gets better today and she actually barked in the evening ! Not that sleepy and dizzy anymore . Maybe the fever reducer and anti inflammation drugs are working
I'm so happy to hear that. A friend had a dog that they told her had cancer and wasn't going to make but she brought the dog to a vet in Manhattan who discovered it was a fungal infection and that dog lived years after they cured that. Same thing happened to someone I know who had a cat. A second opinion is always worthwhile. I'm rooting for your fur baby.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Tannie, there is a great online forum for pet grief. Often, people go there to discuss and deal with the impending loss, many are people with dogs diagnosed with cancer who are trying to get the courage to deal with the very painful decision to spare their companion of suffering. Pet Loss Grief Support. There are very kind people there.

In home euthanasia may not be an option for you if finances are limited. When I googled Lap of Love, I saw $300+ range for euthanasia. You may want to ask around. One resource may be independent pet boutiques as they often are great resources, speaking with clients all day. They may not know prices but they can give recommendations of client satisfaction. imo, compassion and competence are the primary concerns. I had to let my heart dog go in the middle of the night at veterinary ER and could not have asked for a more compassionate experience.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks guys!
She's going down again. I finally decide to let her go tomorrow. I have a question about euthanasia. Should I do it indoor or should I do in the yard? I'm afraid of the euthanasia shot leak into the house because I have a young kid at home. So I heard you have to bury the dog 6 feet underground for the same reason.

Last edited by Tannie2017; 02-09-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Sorry to hear. When we put our dog to sleep it was a regular injection of propofol followed by phenobarbital I believe, nothing toxic.

The first shot lets you say goodbye before the second shot to euthanize.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Quote:
Thanks guys!
She's going down again. I finally decide to let her go tomorrow. I have a question about euthanasia. Should I do it indoor or should I do in the yard? I'm afraid of the euthanasia shot leak into the house because I have a young kid at home. So I heard you have to bury the dog 6 feet underground for the same reason.
...Uh, no. You're fine.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:02 PM

I put her down yesterday . I think I waited a day or two too long. She was so sick.
Does anyone know any shelter or people in need of dog medicine Rimadyl chewable 100 mg(15) prescribed three weeks ago. The vet won't take it back. I guarantee that it is unused and good. I have tried North Shore animal league and town of Hempstead animal shelter, first one does not except medicine donation and the second one doesn't want open jar pet medicine. ( I don't mind mailing it).
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: