Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
What? Maybe the Feds should have a Triborough Amendment. Show them how a public-union stranglehold really works!
lol the Feds have nothing on NYS public unions. Congress long ago passed a law that forbid federal public employees unions to collectively bargain for wages, benefits etc. and a huge portion of the govt isn't even unionized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 AM

170 posts, read 193,263 times
You are still very young and unhappy with where you are currently at. Make the change! It sounds like a good opportunity career-wise and even though housing may be more expensive, it shouldnt be a huge difference because you are talking about Suffolk here (not the 5 boroughs of NYC or even Nassau.. plus you dont have kids so you don't care if you are in a good school district or not which is why most areas are expensive). Most of long island is a place for families, but you have so many beaches, Hamptons, the north shore - it's a great place to be and explore. Also, as someone already pointed out, you're only a train ride away from the real deal - NYC with so much to explore/do.
If in the end its not your cup of tea, like I said, you are very young with no kids/wife - get up and move again!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
I don't live on LI but I do have a Fed job. Take the job!! If you don't like living on LI you can transfer or find another Govt job. This is easier to do when you are already on the inside. Start that clock ASAP.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 AM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
From all you have said, take the LI govt job. Now is the time to jump on a Fed job if offered. You have great train service to NYC from Ronkonkoma or even Sayville. I see plenty of happy hour activity right around the airport on weekdays, and you've got the Hamptons, NYC, Fire Island, etc for weekends, if that floats your boat. A lot of garden apts in that general area, or be smart and invest in a condo. Nearby villages like Sayville, Smithtown, Patchogue have bars, restaurants, nightlife; hiking in local parks, etc.

I would say since you feel overworked, underpaid and stressed, go for it on LI.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Take the federal job and get yourself into the system. Rent, don't buy on LI, and enjoy your time here without complicating your departure. Many want to and need to get out, so figure on being one of them after the novelty wears off and the COL starts wearing you down.

Fortunately, you'll be located in a pleasanter area than most of Nassau County, and your commute won't involve a daily LIRR grind to the city. There are beaches to enjoy, interesting historic sites, great Italian food, a ferry from Port Jefferson to Block Island, reasonable access to NYC from Ronk and cooler summers than Dallas.

This opportunity may not happen again, so take it.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 PM

155 posts, read 174,483 times
Another vote for the gov't job!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 PM

97 posts, read 312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It's more than just salary, this is a govt job with benefits and a pension to where he can transfer elsewhere eventually if he wishes. At that salary with no family he will do fine here. Maybe you need to lay off the drugs and ease off on your bitterness. Also that 140k equivalent is insane, especially since he won't be commuting to the city and living in Suffolk. Get real.

I'm not bitter - I think Long Island is vastly overpriced for what you get relative to down south. His quality of life will not be the same. So if you are willing to bite the bullet for a poorer quality of life and are willing to give up some of life's luxuries , so be it. But let's be hones with the guy.

Once again, 74K is nothing in Long Island.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:21 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
I'm not bitter - I think Long Island is vastly overpriced for what you get relative to down south. His quality of life will not be the same. So if you are willing to bite the bullet for a poorer quality of life and are willing to give up some of life's luxuries , so be it. But let's be hones with the guy.

But he's not getting 74 here, he'd be getting 87 with guaranteed future raises. No family. Single. Short commute. That is plenty of money to live on in that situation even here.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:26 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post

He's a young single guy. He doesn't want/need a house now. He just needs a place to sleep. On his time off, he can go Manhattan and Brooklyn to socialize with all the other people in his age bracket and find a S/O. Much better for that here than in Dallas.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
I made that move 15 yrs ago. (Plano -> Ronkonkoma)
I don't say I regret it, but I would not recommend it either. I'll try to be as fair as I can...

-- Food expense is almost the same.
-- Sports -- NY is nicer, even if teams suck !!
-- Public transport - NY is winner, but big D has made big strides off late.
-- Job - NY hands down (if you can live with my next comment)... lots of opportunities.
-- You got lucky with commute, if you do Ronkonkoma -> NYC - you will die, its like peak hour 695 on steroids.
-- Roads, you will miss them. There are 5 different ways to get to Garland from Plano, out here... there is just one.
-- Tolls - To save 50 cents on GWB I used to take the parallel service road, in NY I proudly pay $13 one way to get to New jersey. There are tolls everywhere.
-- Sightseeing - NY hands down.... so much to see within 5 hrs of driving, big D sucks... sorry, although the hour it takes you to get out of (and get into) LI will wear on you after a while.
-- 74k -> 87K means less money in the bank. (Please believe me !! Its a fact)
-- $1300 apartment in Dallas = $2000 on LI (Seriously, you may find a $1500 one, but it will be dated and you will feel like you are in nuevo laredo), buying a house... even worse, although year over year Dallas has done much better than NY in the past 5-7 years. NY housing stock is very old.
-- Women ... Dallas, hands down (sorry LI ers)
-- You do not know what winter means... yet !!
-- Ronkonkoma.... you have to drive, drive, drive, for groceries, gym, walmart, mini golf etc etc, you must be used to 5-10 min drives in dallas, its not happening here, and oh, forget about a bunch of 24 hrs open stores within a couple of miles.
-- Food... Dallas beats Ronkonkoma, but NYC beats Dallas (just my 2 cents)
-- You are single, so you can make trips to city often, but believe me, generally you end up going less than you hoped you would.

Thats it for now. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island