Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 19,467 times

Advertisements

I'm a 33 year old single professional currently living in Dallas, TX but originally from eastern PA where most of my family and friends are located. I recently received a job offer on Long Island in Ronkonkoma and I need to make a decision soon. Current salary is $74K and the salary in Ronkonkoma would be about $87K per year which is higher but probably doesn't quite make up for the cost of living difference. My current job is in the private sector while the new job in NY would be with the federal government. I believe the job itself in NY would be the better of the two with more opportunities for career advancement, potential transfers to other offices throughout the US in the future, and a more tolerable work schedule (no night shifts). However, I'm concerned about the brutal cost of living on Long Island and I have no idea how long I may be stuck there before a transfer opportunity arises. Also, I enjoy warmer weather so that is another minus for NY.

I would want to live within about a 15 minute drive of the office which is located adjacent to Islip Airport. I'm looking for a newer construction one bedroom apartment preferably within a complex managed by a reputable company. I've lived in other major cities including Boston and Chicago and enjoy all the city life has to offer so I would probably be taking the train into NYC often.

Any advice/opinions? Should I accept the job offer on Long Island or stay in Dallas?

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 PM

6 posts, read 4,265 times
If you're intending to stay a single professional and not sure if you can get out of LI once you're here, I wouldn't do it. It sounds like being near work for you will put you far from the things you desire most about it here, your friends and family and manhattan.

On the other hand, if those things are important but you're looking to settle down and have no interests where you are now, I would say go ahead with the move.

I like living here but the cost IS exhoborant to me. We stay because we find it is the closest to what we desire for our family and leaves us with a lot of options.

The pay increase doesn't sound substantial enough to be considered a raise IMO, like you said.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermandan View Post
I'm a 33 year old single professional currently living in Dallas, TX but originally from eastern PA where most of my family and friends are located. I recently received a job offer on Long Island in Ronkonkoma and I need to make a decision soon. Current salary is $74K and the salary in Ronkonkoma would be about $87K per year which is higher but probably doesn't quite make up for the cost of living difference. My current job is in the private sector while the new job in NY would be with the federal government. I believe the job itself in NY would be the better of the two with more opportunities for career advancement, potential transfers to other offices throughout the US in the future, and a more tolerable work schedule (no night shifts). However, I'm concerned about the brutal cost of living on Long Island and I have no idea how long I may be stuck there before a transfer opportunity arises. Also, I enjoy warmer weather so that is another minus for NY.

I would want to live within about a 15 minute drive of the office which is located adjacent to Islip Airport. I'm looking for a newer construction one bedroom apartment preferably within a complex managed by a reputable company. I've lived in other major cities including Boston and Chicago and enjoy all the city life has to offer so I would probably be taking the train into NYC often.

Any advice/opinions? Should I accept the job offer on Long Island or stay in Dallas?

Dan
What do you currently pay in rent in Dallas?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:08 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Dallas. It's a no brainer.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Dallas might be cheaper. Ronkonkama is absolutely a cheaper area of LI. Ronkonkoma is a good train line it's a 60-80 minute train ride. I assume the salary already includes locality pay. The big question is does this job offer a federal pension plan. You are set if it has one.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Dallas...hands down. LI is expensive, traffic, crowded, urban sprawl, increase in illegal aliens and gangs,,,people that grew up there are leaving in droves

Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Dallas...hands down. LI is expensive, traffic, crowded, urban sprawl, increase in illegal aliens and gangs,,,people that grew up there are leaving in droves
If you don't like illegal aliens and urban sprawl, Dallas and most of the southwest is far worse than LI.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Don't pass up the opportunity to get a good government job with all the perks and chance for advancement. You are young enough to give it a shot and return to Dallas if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
+1

Some people have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
If you don't like illegal aliens and urban sprawl, Dallas and most of the southwest is far worse than LI.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
don't pass up the opportunity to get a good government job with all the perks and chance for advancement. You are young enough to give it a shot and return to dallas if it doesn't work out.
^<<<<<< this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island