Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:45 AM

84 posts, read 141,701 times

Advertisements

Yeah please let us know how the bigger fire goes, sounds promising. Did you turn the blowers on?

For firewood, I think you'd have to order a cord of wood, just did a quick google, top hit:

Long Island Firewood from EZ Big Stack

otherwise they just sell a couple of logs at supermarkets and hardware stores in a bundle, might last 1 night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I only made a small test fire with some small logs since I never made a fire before. But even a small fire made some nice heat around the fire place. Didn't change the temp of my great room, but the temp didn't drop with my gas heat off all night. Its cast iron so it takes a while to heat up with small logs. Tonight I will make a bigger fire with larger logs and see how much heat this thing can really throw out.

Anyone know where I can buy fire logs?
It does take a while to get the heat going and cover the space. Once it does, you will be looking for ways to turn down the fireplace output.

For firewood, find a local source for a cord of wood. At this point in the season, you may want a short cord (what many mean when they refer to a "cord) rather than a full cord. A full cord is a lot of wood.

In general, stay away from the small bundles sold at grocery/convienence stores. They burn just fine (often too quickly) but they are relatively very expensive.

FWIW, Make sure you source it locally. Bringing wood in (or out of) the area can transmit harmful insects and tree disease. I think it may be illegal. Some people look to do it because getting wood from upstate is cheap and easy. I have a place upstate and cut my own wood (for use up there).

There is an old abandoned industrial facility in old Bethpage on the corner of spagnoli rd and winding road (off rt 110, near Battle Row campground). I see enormous stacks of wood inside the fence that looks like a firewood operation. If you are in the area, it might be worth a drive by to see if there is a phone number or info.

Make sure you always use "seasoned" wood. Wood has to dry and "age" before you can burn it. That can be several months. Wood you cut and split today should not be used until next season.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
There's a store in Wantagh called Jetmore, also on Merrick Rd that has been around since the seventies that has a big selection of fireplaces and gas grills so they probably deal in inserts as well and they can't be more than a mile or two from Dumbo's guy. I'd check out both before buying.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt20000 View Post
Yeah please let us know how the bigger fire goes, sounds promising. Did you turn the blowers on?

For firewood, I think you'd have to order a cord of wood, just did a quick google, top hit:

Long Island Firewood from EZ Big Stack

otherwise they just sell a couple of logs at supermarkets and hardware stores in a bundle, might last 1 night.
Off from work due to snow. Have the insert full of wood and blasting tons of heat. Great room is at 72 degrees and gas furnace has not turned on since 6am this morning. I have blower on low which is quiet and sufficient.. sounds like a jet on high and moves ton air, but low setting is good enough.

My chronically cold wife loves this

Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Hey @85dumbo thanks for the update. Do you get any smoke coming out of it when you reload and such? Just curious if the room smells like fireplace smoke after you're using it for awhile. My other half is worried it's going to start to smell.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 AM

When the door is closed, its an airtight seal so no smell. Reloading, depends on the quailty of the wood you are burning. Nice dry seasoned fire wood has minimal odor and no smoke, but lower quality wood smokes and smells. I get a good draft from the insert, so most smoke tends to get sucked up the chimney as opposed to going into the room when I open the door.

My biggest problem is finding seasoned fire wood. The best wood so far is wood I pruned off my beech tree last year that I seasoned my self. Burns hot and clean. Bought so called seasoned firewood from Lowes and homedepot as a temporary solution, but they don't burn as nice because they are probably not trulydried out. I did find some compressed pure sawdust logs (no wax like Duraflame) that burn pretty good, but its not an economical solution.

I guess I'll order a cord of wood when the winter's over and just let it dry out until next winter. I hear most cord wood sold on LI is not truly seasoned.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM

73 posts, read 92,583 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful information here. I am in the middle of purchasing a home in Nassau that has 2 fireplaces - 1 wood burning in the formal living room and 1 in the Den that is open - it needs to either have gas or wood burning put into it.

Sounds like wood burning is the way to go here? I was thinking that gas would be easier & cleaner.

Any guidance as this is my first home purchase - have lived in a coop in Queens before.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood burning fireplace insert?-den-pic.jpg  

Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

112 posts, read 248,870 times
85Dumbo is that a Jotul ? Which model if it is ?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
85Dumbo is that a Jotul ? Which model if it is ?
Quadrafire Voyager Grand

Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM

@85Dumbo it's been about a year and was just curious if you're still liking the fireplace insert? I'm about to go ahead with getting one installed, so was wondering if you had any updated thoughts. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island