Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM

987 posts, read 823,642 times

Advertisements

So for the last 8 months I been observing the HOV lane to and from work. Work in Manhattan live in Deer Park. I usually leave around 5:15 am so there's no time savings taking the HOV lane for me in the morning but once in a while I would leave about 6-6:30am so maybe there might be a savings at that time.

I usually leave work anywhere from 5:00pm to 6pm. It seems like the HOV only moves faster than the other lanes at certain points.. like around 110 etc. but overall doesn't seem like it would save more than 10-15 overall.

Any thoughts? I need any times savings possible but was wondering if others with a car allowed in the HOV saves more time than I'm estimating? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 AM

116 posts, read 172,094 times
i have a mannequin riding shotgun for this exact reason.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
So for the last 8 months I been observing the HOV lane to and from work. Work in Manhattan live in Deer Park. I usually leave around 5:15 am so there's no time savings taking the HOV lane for me in the morning but once in a while I would leave about 6-6:30am so maybe there might be a savings at that time.

I usually leave work anywhere from 5:00pm to 6pm. It seems like the HOV only moves faster than the other lanes at certain points.. like around 110 etc. but overall doesn't seem like it would save more than 10-15 overall.

Any thoughts? I need any times savings possible but was wondering if others with a car allowed in the HOV saves more time than I'm estimating? Thanks
Using the HOV to save time is situational. On rare occasions, I've known it to be somewhat slower (due to an HOV user driving 55 or under while the regular lanes allowed faster travel). It seems, delays caused by police activity slow all lanes due to rubber-knecking.

I found the HOV lane usually saved time right before the 495-135 interchange; this way, I could avoid a lot of the lane changing of others around Hicksville and, later, Lake Success. I don't well know the traffic west of the Queens border as I usually headed to one of the "____ Neck" (LIRR stations) for the ride to Penn. Sta.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
It depends. Going to Deer Park, you are probably using exit 51. That's a little under 20 miles. Rush hour regular lanes are what? About 40-60 minutes to the Queens line? Maybe a little less?

Saving 15 minutes is over 25%. Not bad.

Yes, the HOV does slow down at some points. It can be very frustrating driving a single lane, especially when hampered but that "one" driver who seems to be going too slow. How many times I have been in the HOV during rush hour... HOV is wide open, but regular lanes are slowing down. That "one" guy has no one in front of him, but decides to slow down to match his speed to the regular lanes. Kills the point of the HOV.

On average, you will usually see some significant time savings with the HOV. During rush hours, I think it would be the rare situation that the HOV would provide no savings.

If I could save five minutes, it would still be worth it. Less hassle, fewer people cutting in and out of the lane.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
HOV lane blows.
You either have:
A)Someone in front of you doing 55
B)Or someone behind you that is so close you can see what they had for breakfast still stuck in their teeth when you look in your rear view mirror.

And, you are a sitting duck for the cops.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
HOV lane blows.
You either have:
A)Someone in front of you doing 55
B)Or someone behind you that is so close you can see what they had for breakfast still stuck in their teeth when you look in your rear view mirror.

And, you are a sitting duck for the cops.
Thanks. Guess I'll pass on buying hybrid.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
It's a crapshoot most times of the day when it's not rush hour.

But I have to ask, why not the LIRR?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:36 PM

I work on 1st Ave and 96th. Door to door it's 2 hours each way on train. Driving in at 5:15 it's only an hour in morning and 1:45 in afternoon

Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,776 times
The HOV lane is nothing more than a money grab. Its primary purpose is allegedly to make it easier for carpoolers to get home. The cops that patrol it daily create even more traffic by constantly monitoring it for cheaters and subsequently pulling them across three lanes of traffic to ticket them. The regular lanes are just as quick. Get stuck behind a Sunday grandma driver in that POS lane and watch as you are ticketed for crossing the double solid line to get away from Grandma.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
Quote:
I work on 1st Ave and 96th. Door to door it's 2 hours each way on train. Driving in at 5:15 it's only an hour in morning and 1:45 in afternoon
I was wondering how long the drive is starting at 5 am from exit 56, what time does traffic start building up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island