Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 PM

86 posts, read 168,614 times

Advertisements

ecost, sent you a PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,624 times
I suggest you move. I am from Long Island but lived in SC for years too, and I prefer Long Island a lot better. The schools are much better the diversity of the people is valuable and yes it is expensive but there's a reason it's expensive because of the schools and the close proximity to so much. My neighbor down the street in Long Island is from SC too and she migrated here bc her husband also I met a lady recently when I was out and she's from Georgia and she moved here because of her husband and she said she's so glad she did it because her kids are in such good schools and they are leap years ahead intellectually of where they would be if she had stayed in GA.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful Kat View Post
I suggest you move. I am from Long Island but lived in SC for years too, and I prefer Long Island a lot better. The schools are much better the diversity of the people is valuable and yes it is expensive but there's a reason it's expensive because of the schools and the close proximity to so much. My neighbor down the street in Long Island is from SC too and she migrated here bc her husband also I met a lady recently when I was out and she's from Georgia and she moved here because of her husband and she said she's so glad she did it because her kids are in such good schools and they are leap years ahead intellectually of where they would be if she had stayed in GA.
interesting perspective with 3 data points out of 3 million people. I would argue that there are probably a dozen other places that have a better cost of living and quality of life and aren't LI. Proximity is a benefit (if you come from a rural area) but that's also due to density.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:59 PM

319 posts, read 278,576 times
Long Island is expensive because they have been brainwashed by the justification of schools and location to NYC, Northeast politicians want your money and will tax you to death.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
Long Island is expensive because they have been brainwashed by the justification of schools and location to NYC, Northeast politicians want your money and will tax you to death.
There used to be really good jobs out here via Grumman and other aerospace. Back in the day the high cost of living seemed worthwhile. Then the jobs disappeared and taxes escalated. LI jumped the shark the day Grumman shuttered its doors.

The only ones who have it good here are those in the public sector. Even Wall Street is automating and moving jobs out of NY.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM

43 posts, read 37,126 times
Stop reading my thoughts...

Old 03-27-2017, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 37,126 times
Let me put it this way. If I could push a button and blow up the whole state south of Dutchess County I would in a second, even if I didn't get enough time to warn loved ones. Sacrifice for the good of the world.

Ditch the husband.

Stop reading my thoughts...

Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 PM

319 posts, read 278,576 times
I would spare Putnam County, I was born and raised there, my aunt lived on Long Island and as a kid during summer I would spend a few weeks, remember seeing the Amityville Horror house, it was freaky back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island