Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 14,455 times

Advertisements

We just got really frustrating situation 5 days before closing, when we decided to buy the house we were told no C/O need for finished basement, but after all bank paper work done and 5 days right before closing our attorney told use we have to pay the C/O or seller will dismantle the basement. anybody can suggest what we can do? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 02:30 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Your attorney cost you $100 and a box of chocolate? Pretty worthless attorney who can't give you proper advise on what to do in what is a a pretty common situation.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnliu View Post
We just got really frustrating situation 5 days before closing, when we decided to buy the house we were told no C/O need for finished basement, but after all bank paper work done and 5 days right before closing our attorney told use we have to pay the C/O or seller will dismantle the basement. anybody can suggest what we can do? thanks.
Lots here not adding up. Who told you that you didn't need the C/o for the basement? The seller? Was your broker or attorney aware of this? Did it come up on a title insurance run? When was that done? Only 5 days before closing? The devil is in the details.

Depending upon what is in the basement, I would walk away, if it is completed and could be considered livable space. You need an egress window at the very least. Do you have a bath down there? A kitchen? You may end up having to dismantle it to get the permits to obtain the C/O any way.

You can get you r deposit back provided you did not agree to this in your contract.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM

My attorney keep telling us we will lose deposit if we don't do this don't that, we really unhappy with our attorney I feel her is seller's attorney rather than ours, but she is already get involved, we cannot not do anything.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnliu View Post
My attorney keep telling us we will lose deposit if we don't do this don't that, we really unhappy with our attorney I feel her is seller's attorney rather than ours, but she is already get involved, we cannot not do anything.
Is she a real estate attorney by chance? Again, can you answer my questions?

Old 03-24-2017, 03:02 PM

We pay $1200 to our attorney but she never reply our email or phone at the same day util she ask us things.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Tell her you will find another attorney because you feel she did not do her job. Get a real estate attorney, and realize that while you have an added expense, it is still cheaper than a home you may well have a problem with obtaining C/O.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:15 PM

No bathroom, No kitchen, but the window seems not OK based on town inspector. and anther weird thing is attorney told us seller allow town walk in recently and got that issue.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
If the basement was a consideration in determining the sale price of the home then the removal of this feature would warrant revisiting the sale price. Your attorney does not seem worth the money you paid, hold them accountable.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanks guys, I think @nuts2uiam is right, our attorney is not real estate attorney, that's why we got so many hard things to deal with during the whole process, a lesson to everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island