Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 AM

13 posts, read 19,849 times

Advertisements

Anyone has insights on living in Bellerose Village? Very broad question I understand...would welcome and appreciate any/general tidbits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Can think of better areas for the price. Still have to deal with Jamaica Ave all the time. Might as well go to regular Bellerose and save lots of money on property taxes.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:09 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
A few years ago, my family was house hunting in neighborhoods along the Hempstead Branch of the LIRR. We looked at the incorporated villages of Bellerose, Floral Park, Stewart Manor, and Garden City. Our priorities included 1) good public schools, 2) walkable, tree-lined streets, 3) walking distance to a LIRR station, and 4) well-maintained housing stock of 1,500 to 2,500 square foot houses with 5,000 to 10,000 square foot lots. Here is our view of Bellerose village:

Pros:
• Houses and yards are beautiful and maintained with class and care
• Bellerose LIRR station offers one of the quickest train rides from Nassau County to Penn Station. Bus transportation along Jericho Turnpike to subway is available in case the LIRR service is disrupted
• Convenience retail, such as food stores and restaurants, on Jericho Turnpike is located within walking distance
• Decent public schools – Floral-Park Bellerose school for pre-kindergarten through 6th grade, then Floral Park Memorial High School for grades 7 through 12
• Safe streets with low vehicle traffic are friendly for bicyclists and pedestrians
• Large athletic field and small playground behind Floral Park-Bellerose School (within walking distance of Bellerose village) is perfect place for children’s casual recreation

Cons:
• Housing inventory for sale is limited. During the spring and summer we were house hunting, zero houses in Bellerose village were listed on websites such as Trulia and Zillow. I checked later and only 2 sold and both sales appear to be off-market transactions
• Regular noise exists from LIRR trains and vehicles on Jericho Turnpike
• Important amenities such as public schools, police, and youth recreation are run by entities not controlled by Bellerose village, limiting residents’ influence and access

Last edited by pretorius; 04-11-2017 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the response! Can you clarify? Do you mean noise and such from Jamaica Ave? Would love to hear your recos on what other areas would be good for the price.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Awesome information, thank you! Where'd you guys end up settling in if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
A few years ago, my family was house hunting in neighborhoods along the Hempstead Branch of the LIRR. We looked at the incorporated villages of Bellerose, Floral Park, Stewart Manor, and Garden City. Our priorities included 1) good public schools, 2) walkable, tree-lined streets, 3) walking distance to a LIRR station, and 4) well-maintained housing stock of 1,500 to 2,500 square foot houses with 5,000 to 10,000 square foot lots. Here is our view of Bellerose village:

Pros:
• Houses and yards are beautiful and maintained with class and care
• Bellerose LIRR station offers one of the quickest train rides from Nassau County to Penn Station. Bus transportation along Jericho Turnpike to subway is available in case the LIRR service is disrupted
• Convenience retail, such as food stores and restaurants, on Jericho Turnpike is located within walking distance
• Decent public schools – Floral-Park Bellerose school for pre-kindergarten through 6th grade, then Floral Park Memorial High School for grades 7 through 12
• Safe streets with low vehicle traffic are friendly for bicyclists and pedestrians
• Large athletic field and small playground behind Floral Park-Bellerose School (within walking distance of Bellerose village) is perfect place for children’s casual recreation

Cons:
• Housing inventory for sale is limited. During the spring and summer we were house hunting, zero houses in Bellerose village were listed on websites such as Trulia and Zillow. I checked later and only 2 sold and both sales appear to be off-market transactions
• Regular noise exists from LIRR trains and vehicles on Jericho Turnpike
• Important amenities such as public schools, police, and youth recreation are run by entities not controlled by Bellerose village, limiting residents’ influence and access

Old 04-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layladylay View Post
Thanks for the response! Can you clarify? Do you mean noise and such from Jamaica Ave? Would love to hear your recos on what other areas would be good for the price.
Noise, traffic congestion, and just a overall blah look to the area. It looks more like Jamaica Queens than the prosperous suburban town Bellerose Village should be.

I grew up in Queens Village, and to me, this area on Jamaica Ave doesn't look much better than QV does now. Why bother spending all that extra property tax for it?

Are you looking for a more suburban area? I like Williston Park, Mineola, East Williston areas much better. Second tier of choices in this group would be Franklin Square, Floral Park, and Lynbrook

If you want to stay more urban I would look at Bellerose, Floral Park Queens, and New Hyde Park Queens and save a ton of cash.

Want more diversity? Queens Village, Elmont, Valley Stream, West Hempstead

Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 AM

116 posts, read 172,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Noise, traffic congestion, and just a overall blah look to the area. It looks more like Jamaica Queens than the prosperous suburban town Bellerose Village should be.

I grew up in Queens Village, and to me, this area on Jamaica Ave doesn't look much better than QV does now. Why bother spending all that extra property tax for it?

Are you looking for a more suburban area? I like Williston Park, Mineola, East Williston areas much better. Second tier of choices in this group would be Franklin Square, Floral Park, and Lynbrook

If you want to stay more urban I would look at Bellerose, Floral Park Queens, and New Hyde Park Queens and save a ton of cash.

Want more diversity? Queens Village, Elmont, Valley Stream, West Hempstead
You're thinking of Bellerose Terrace. The Village of Bellerose has cut them off completely with illegal dead ends.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
You're thinking of Bellerose Terrace. The Village of Bellerose has cut them off completely with illegal dead ends.
No. Jamaica Ave/Jericho Take is the northern border for Bellerose Village. I could see dealing with it if you were buying in Bellerose Terrace, but not at the Bellerose Village price point.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
Yes, I meant noise from Jamaica Avenue, which changes its name to Jericho Turnpike as the road enters Nassau County. Because Bellerose village is just 1,500 feet wide, and is straddled by the LIRR and Jericho Turnpike, the noise is unavoidable.

I recommend Floral Park, Garden City, and Stewart Manor as alternatives. We bought in one of these villages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island