Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times

Advertisements

Okay, so does anyone else think it's absolutely absurd that WBLI suspended their morning radio show co-host Randy for some joke he made about Mastic? Some Mastic residents complained and are "demanding" an on-air apology, some twit wanted him to stand on Montauk Hwy in Mastic holding an "I'm Sorry" sign and yet another one wanted him to do "community service" in Mastic..... RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a JOKE, just like Randy makes jokes about everything and goofs on many people who call in to the show. That's what makes the show funny and interesting.

I won't listen to that station unless and until they bring Randy back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,657 times
I think that radio show it the biggest waste of time on the radio, I hope they pick a whole new cast. Why on gods green earth would anyone want to spend their morning listening to Randy's hideous shrills & Dana's exagerated Long Island accent? Let's not even get into the subject matter "setting up a single pregnant woman on dates" or the non-stop Dirt reports.
Spare me. This country is going to hell in a handbasket because people think that garbage is entertaining.
I'm a big believer in freedom of speech but Randy should be more tolerant & display some sort of appropriate behavior, even his co-hosts were telling him he was going too far from what I've heard. I'm sure if 50 people in a row called in bashing flaming gay guys they wouldn't all get played on the show.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I didnt find his comments to be professional at all. Its bad enough with the problems they have out there I dont think they need that on top of it. Im sure he wouldnt like it if insulting remarks were fired at him. Get rid of him WBLI, he's annoying anyways. I stopped listening to station when Steve & Maria left.

Last edited by rocafeller05; 03-02-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM

I don't think his comments were "meant" to be "professional".... He was goofing on a woman who called in for one of their weekly contests. So what if Mastic has "problems"??? If the community feels that strongly about a radio personality making a joke, maybe they should do something to clean up their community, their schools, and everything else.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I think that radio show it the biggest waste of time on the radio, I hope they pick a whole new cast. Why on gods green earth would anyone want to spend their morning listening to Randy's hideous shrills & Dana's exagerated Long Island accent? Let's not even get into the subject matter "setting up a single pregnant woman on dates" or the non-stop Dirt reports.
Spare me. This country is going to hell in a handbasket because people think that garbage is entertaining.
I'm a big believer in freedom of speech but Randy should be more tolerant & display some sort of appropriate behavior, even his co-hosts were telling him he was going too far from what I've heard. I'm sure if 50 people in a row called in bashing flaming gay guys they wouldn't all get played on the show.

I think Randy is just funny. He's a flame and me makes the show funny. Dana is typical. Drew you hardly hear from.

I just like mindless crap when I'm on my way to work in the morning. I have enough BS to contend with once I get to work so I find it enjoyable to listen to a bunch of people goofing around and making jokes.

Randy should be "more tolerant" of what????? He didn't bash any individual group, race, creed, religion, or anything else. The joke was directed at a woman --- ONE WOMAN --- who called in for one of the weekly contests. Even she said she wasn't offended by what he said. Anyone with a half a brain who listens to the show on a regular basis KNOWS how Randy is and knows he means no offense with his jokes.

Oh, that whole pregnant woman thing..... Disgusting.... she emailed in to the show ASKING Dana if she thought it was appropriate to date while she's pregnant with some guys kid (who she's no longer with). What a pig.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Well everyone has their own opinion. I feel that the remarks were rude an not necessary on a public radio station.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

Randy should be "more tolerant" of what????? He didn't bash any individual group, race, creed, religion, or anything else. The joke was directed at a woman --- ONE WOMAN --- who called in for one of the weekly contests. Even she said she wasn't offended by what he said. Anyone with a half a brain who listens to the show on a regular basis KNOWS how Randy is and knows he means no offense with his jokes.

Oh, that whole pregnant woman thing..... Disgusting.... she emailed in to the show ASKING Dana if she thought it was appropriate to date while she's pregnant with some guys kid (who she's no longer with). What a pig.
Well in typical ignorant fashion he asked a woman in Mastic if her pipes were frozen under her trailer, there are no trailer parks in Mastic. There are however many families and seniors lived in manufactured home communities on LI, in fact I have a disabled Aunt that lives in such a community. Honestly I don't think those people need to be reminded that "trailer park" living is less than desirable, however its the only viable option for some LIers. Did you know the child that wrote in his journal he planned to murder fellow students at Connetquot high school lived in the trailer park "bunker hill" in Bohemia? Did you know he actually journaled that some of his anger came from being mocked by classmates because his family owned a manufactured home?
These comments aren't always taken as jokes.
IMHO "anyone with half a brain" wouldn't waste their morning on WBLI's trash.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

I guess they would be constued as being rude and not necessary on a radio station if it's taken out of context. However, in the context of this show and how this particular show has always been, it wasn't rude or uneccessary.

Hopefully, Randy will be back on the air soon. If not, I won't be listening to BLI or any of their "sister" stations.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Well in typical ignorant fashion he asked a woman in Mastic if her pipes were frozen under her trailer, there are no trailer parks in Mastic. There are however many families and seniors lived in manufactured home communities on LI, in fact I have a disabled Aunt that lives in such a community. Honestly I don't think those people need to be reminded that "trailer park" living is less than desirable, however its the only viable option for some LIers. Did you know the child that wrote in his journal he planned to murder fellow students at Connetquot high school lived in the trailer park "bunker hill" in Bohemia? Did you know he actually journaled that some of his anger came from being mocked by classmates because his family owned a manufactured home?
These comments aren't always taken as jokes.
The kid who made the threat had a lot more problems than just living in a trailer park..... That was his surface excuse. There are plenty of trailer parks on Long Island and it's an alternate way of living for people who want to own but can't afford a house or condo. No big deal. Nothing to be ashamed of.

The joke Randy made was just that... a joke. He calls women names. He calls men names. He goofs on celebrities and everything else. So what? Is the world THAT sensitive now??? Ridiculous.

Quote:
Well, I guess the same could be said about people who watch American Idol, Survivor and all the other "reality" shows that are watched by millions of people each week.

You must have listened to the show at some point since you seem to know so much about it.... And, like I said, I like the mindless banter as I'm driving to work.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Actually I didn't listen to it, but unfortunately its been on every news channel, in every paper, discussed on every message board & they even talked about it on NPR!
I think it got more press than the slimeball custodian asking a 13 year old on a date in Lynbrook middle school! That is what makes me sick about it. Its not important & its not news, its NONSENSE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island