Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
It's just unfortunate because maybe the addicts don't even know they are have that pre-disposition. maybe if they knew they would avoid taking it or something.

I feel like you - i imagine if i were in that position i would easily follow doctor's orders to wean myself off. I think I'd be so worried about becoming addicted that I would actively make sure i do NOT get addicted, if that makes sense lol. so that's why i asked the question if it's more the person or the drug's "fault".

Big pharma would LOVE you to keep making it the patient's fault. That is their bread and butter. So who's fault is it that the #1 path to addiction for kids is having a wisdom tooth removed? When you were a kid, did they prescribe you a 10 or 15 or 30 day supply of vicodin...at 14 or 15 years old?! Nope, they didn't. And we didn't have a youth addiction problem. Did we do millions of knee, hip or shoulder replacements on elderly people and give them months of pills to recover? Nope. That's a new phenomenon too. Yeah, people are daft and ignorant about their own health. That's why they trust doctors. That's why docs take a hippocratic oath. Big pharma's dope peddling and payola to docs to push these meds is NOT part of that oath and certainly NOT the fault of patients. Anyone who thinks they can "wean themselves off" is showing terrible ignorance of the problem. Try "weaning" yourself off cigarettes, or coffee, or sugar then multiply that by 1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,256,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Big pharma would LOVE you to keep making it the patient's fault. That is their bread and butter. So who's fault is it that the #1 path to addiction for kids is having a wisdom tooth removed? When you were a kid, did they prescribe you a 10 or 15 or 30 day supply of vicodin...at 14 or 15 years old?! Nope, they didn't. And we didn't have a youth addiction problem. Did we do millions of knee, hip or shoulder replacements on elderly people and give them months of pills to recover? Nope. That's a new phenomenon too. Yeah, people are daft and ignorant about their own health. That's why they trust doctors. That's why docs take a hippocratic oath. Big pharma's dope peddling and payola to docs to push these meds is NOT part of that oath and certainly NOT the fault of patients. Anyone who thinks they can "wean themselves off" is showing terrible ignorance of the problem. Try "weaning" yourself off cigarettes, or coffee, or sugar then multiply that by 1000.
I definitely see your point too and agree. but i wonder - what is the alternative?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
More than likely...

I've had multiple heart surgeries & have been on huge amounts of very strong painkillers. Huge. Never once did I feel the need to continue and then move to street drugs. Most people are the same.

Sadly, addicts have now made people in real, legit pain, pay for it. Docs are scared to death now.

My friend has advanced cancer & just recently got a lecture from the wacko Walgreens pharmacist from all this "opiate epidemic". It's getting insane.

Pray you never get seriously ill & need meds.
One gentleman I knew was given opiods for pain relief following back surgery. He was a retired family man who wasn't much into drinking. There was no way of knowing that he would have such a difficult time coming off the meds. His pain wasn't immediatelly alleviated by surgery.It was a matter of having to wean off the meds, deal with the pain and gradual recovery as opposed to masking it and not being able to fully gauge improvements over time.

Some people can tolerate pain better than others. It took him a while before he could get off opiods. I wouldn't say he was addicted in that he needed to score more and more, rather, it was a crutch he was afraid to let go of. It was a hard fight, but he did get off of it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 PM

22,680 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I definitely see your point too and agree. but i wonder - what is the alternative?
Uh, regular NSAIDs? Opiods should be for people who are in severe, unrelenting pain that isn't going to get better, like end-stage cancer patients. Not, as noted, people having their teeth pulled.

I had shoulder surgery 6 years ago and was prescribed 5 mgs of oxy every 4-6 hours, up to 3 pills at a time. The first two days the pain was unbearable, but I still only took one pill every 6 hours. Being pain free DOES aid in a patient's recovery....but beyond that I should've stuck with Aleve or Advil....I never felt addicted or like I had to take the oxy, but when I did stop taking it after about a month, I was sick for 2 weeks (wasn't till after the fact that I put two and two together).

My mother has had two hips replaced and done with just Advil.

I had a tooth pulled 2 weeks ago and was given oxy. Never even needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: