Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are relocating to the NYC area. And we're attempting to choose between Saddle River area and Brookville area. I'm curious to know which commute into the Manhattan, when driving, would typically be easier or quicker?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 AM

131 posts, read 333,027 times
Why just those 2 towns? Driving in rush hr to NYC will be miserable from both. Saddle river prop taxes are very low. Much lower than brookville

Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 AM

487 posts, read 545,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Why just those 2 towns? Driving in rush hr to NYC will be miserable from both. Saddle river prop taxes are very low. Much lower than brookville
I agree. Would you consider the Long Island Railroad? Brookville is the Oyster Bay Line which is not as direct into the City as some of the other upscale towns in Nassau. Garden City is a good commute into Manhattan with a lot of train options. It is also close to the Mineola train station which has commuter parking and a large selection of more direct trains. You can make it into the City in 35/40 min. (Penn Station). Also, you may want to look into Manhasset, Port Washington/Sands Point, Flower Hill, Plandome, Great Neck/Kings Point which are all good commutes into Manhattan. Perhaps other posters who do this commute can elaborate.

Brookville is a lovely community. The drive into Manhattan would not be fun on a daily basis. I did it the other day and commend the people that do that every day. It took a solid two hours to get home via express bus......using the bus lane too....... to an area not far from Brookville.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Sort of depends on where in Manhattan you'll be commuting to.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 31,362 times
I live in Brookville near where rt 107 meets wheatley rd. I can tell you that I love the area but it is a tough commute to drive to Manhattan. I drive to work in Jamaica, Queens and it takes me about 45 minutes to get home leaving at 4:00. You can look into taking the LIRR in Hicksville and it will be about a 10 minute car ride and 45 minute train ride.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM

64 posts, read 52,884 times
Tax wise...Saddle River beats Brookville or any place both on long Island or New Jersey. People in SR pay less than 10,000 a year in taxes for 2 acres of land...However new jersey is the most densely populated state in the union...as a result new jersey has worse traffic congestion than long island and train commuter problems also.

Personally I would not settle in this region.....take a pay cut and get the opportunity to purchase real estate at a third of the cost and move to the suburbs of Hartford Conn. Or western New York suburbs of Buffalo Rochester or Syracuse....i think Hartford is better because it is halfway between new York and boston..buffalo rochester and Syracuse are further away ..but people from here have moved up there and work in the insurance industry...

Unless you want to dish out more money and move up north of the Tappan Zee bridge and settle by HILLARY Billy Clinton in Chapaqua or Armonk...

Do not move to lower Westchester...because the cities of Yonkers white plains mount Vernon new Rochelle have slumified and are bankrupt all the way through..

Last edited by Deeboy; 06-27-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 PM

81 posts, read 128,439 times
SR all the way. Your money goes way further in NJ and the houses in my opinion are way better. Plus, as others have mentioned taxes are lower. We would be in NJ if we didn't have parents in Queens and Huntington.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
I would pick Saddle River, I think driving could be hell from either location and both locations offer a commuter rail option. New Jersey also offers good commuter bus routes and ultimately you are on the mainland. If your ones who travel frequently you won't have to drive off the island and through the city every time you want to travel somewhere.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Agree with the above, with one caveat. Are there any relatives or friends on LI that you would be spending a great deal of time visiting. The trip from Jersey can be a bear.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 AM

307 posts, read 637,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboy View Post
Tax wise...Saddle River beats Brookville or any place both on long Island or New Jersey. People in SR pay less than 10,000 a year in taxes for 2 acres of land...However new jersey is the most densely populated state in the union...as a result new jersey has worse traffic congestion than long island and train commuter problems also.

Personally I would not settle in this region.....take a pay cut and get the opportunity to purchase real estate at a third of the cost and move to the suburbs of Hartford Conn. Or western New York suburbs of Buffalo Rochester or Syracuse....i think Hartford is better because it is halfway between new York and boston..buffalo rochester and Syracuse are further away ..but people from here have moved up there and work in the insurance industry...

Unless you want to dish out more money and move up north of the Tappan Zee bridge and settle by HILLARY Billy Clinton in Chapaqua or Armonk...

Do not move to lower Westchester...because the cities of Yonkers white plains mount Vernon new Rochelle have slumified and are bankrupt all the way through..
Northern Westchester would seem like a good fit. Less traffic, better train to manhattan than Brookville or NJ, and more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island