Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:15 PM

412 posts, read 289,656 times

Advertisements

When I first began to read this post, it sounded just like my neighbor.

-He has asked me to clean up my leaves more often (I do so weekly, and keep a very neat yard/home).

-My wife is a stay at home mom...his wife has many times criticized my wife for not working and instead devoting herself to her children. She would say they just had a babysitter take the kids to the park, etc, why don't you work? My wife is very very smart, highly educated, and ended her career for our children...I think that's admirable. And honestly, either choice a woman makes is the correct choice...it's a personal decision and no one else's business.

-He kept complaining to me to remove a tree that he felt was leaning towards his home. I had the tree inspected by a professional, it was healthy and safe. Then one day he arranges to have MY tree cut down..asks me for "permission", saying the crew is coming tomorrow (i.e. he booked the crew to remove my tree before getting my permission). My mistake, I said OK, go for it. And then afterwards, he asked me to split the bill, and has complained I never paid him.

-My yard was un-fenced, and I wanted to add a fence... I have small children on a somewhat busy road, a vegetable garden, and this neighbor feeds stray cats and I am allergic and they sit on my patio furniture....not that I need justification. I gave him a heads up, he said I don't need a fence, and it will ruin the neighborhood, and that my kids were only outside 7 times last summer (creepy). I put up the fence, on my side of the property lines...and he flipped his ****. Said I should not have bought the house if I didn't like it the way it was, why did I move here, etc. During his fence rant, he said also, btw, that my wife is aModerator cut: profanity removed and that his wife thinks so too. I said your wife wasn't very nice to my wife (and my wife was still friendly, so no clue what they are talking about). That made him flip, since the wife at this point was deceased (we attended funeral BTW). I calmly told him he was being out of line, and he kept persisting. Had to basically tell him to go Moderator cut: profanity . Had to stand up for me and my family. Standing up doesn't guarantee success, though. It's still a pain to live next to an Moderator cut: --- A year or so later, I even went and helped him shovel his driveway after a blizzard, as he's now a 70+ yr old man living alone. Since then, he has still yelled at me from his yard at times. He has hung a weird beach towel in his side window so he doesn't have to see my home. Weird, weird man.

-He leafblows with a gas leafblower every single day from September until January...and then every few days for the rest of the year. Sometimes, he has been out there as early as 745 AM on a Sunday.

-I never complained about the above leafblowing until recently when I asked if a) he could not do it so early on Sunday mornings, and also b) not do it at the exact time my 5 year old daughter is at the bus stop 10 feet away, as the fumes and dust that is kicked up is not good for a little child. He flipped his **** again. Also, he reminded me that he's lived here since before I was born.

I'm one of the nicest people you will meet...maybe he took liberties because I let it fester. But, you do have to stand up to BS. I just ignore him now. But, it'd be nicer to have nice neighbors.

So anyway, I just want you to know that you're not alone. Stand up, but be smart.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-13-2017 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
The simple answer is the POP officer as I provided way back in the early posts. This is their job and they deal with these issues every day. It will end it once and for all for sure but OP has to take that step.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levitny View Post
I did call the cops on Sunday since he refused to move his car from the street when I wanted to trim the tree.
since the car is parked on the street there is nothing that can be done and I have to wait for him to move the car to trim the tree. for the last 2 days I am somehow managing to park the cars on my side of the house but, that would also be the end today and would have no choice but to park on his side of the house since he is parking on my side of the house.
Park in front of his house. You're free to do that as well

Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 9,519 times
I agree

Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 PM

17 posts, read 31,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spittfire73 View Post
I agree
Yeah, but then you're being Moderator cut: mod cutand parking in front of your neighbor's house creates a whole different issue.

The leaves? Yeah, sucks for your neighbor but raking every day is not gonna happen. Tell your neighbor they're free to rake your leaves for you every day it its such an issue.

And the parking? Like most people said park in front of your own house, period. I would never in my life not park in front of my own house, and I take issue when other Moderator cut: language removed park in front of my house instead of their own.

Needless to say that doesn't happen to me anymore.

Good luck.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-17-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
Yeah, but then you're being a and parking in front of your neighbor's house creates a whole different issue.

The leaves? Yeah, sucks for your neighbor but raking every day is not gonna happen. Tell your neighbor they're free to rake your leaves for you every day it its such an issue.

And the parking? Like most people said park in front of your own house, period. I would never in my life not park in front of my own house, and I take issue when other park in front of my house instead of their own.

Good luck.
Yeah, but it seems that in the last post his neighbor is parked in front of his house so hes somehow maneuvering on his grass to have someplace to leave his car

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-17-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
I'm curious how you stopped others from constantly parking in front of your house. It has stopped for me too, but I only put trash cans out and they got the idea.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 30,306 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it seems that in the last post his neighbor is parked in front of his house so hes somehow maneuvering on his grass to have someplace to leave his car
He has not yet moved his car .. sometimes people create inconvenience to them self when trying to create inconvenience to others.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The simple answer is the POP officer as I provided way back in the early posts. This is their job and they deal with these issues every day. It will end it once and for all for sure but OP has to take that step.
I have been thinking about it .. but I am sure he is going to deny all of it and make false claims when I involved POP Officer. I want to be more prepared before involving POP officer.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I wish I could do that ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: