Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Oh. So on your home you can add a second kitchen? Build a fence? Build a porch? Install a pool, a new deck, a tree? Without anyone's permission because you're king of your castle? Wrong-o. You can't do any of those things without permission from the town. And you pay them (taxes) just for that privilege of bossing you around.
Now you've gone completely off the rails and are just the defensive goofball we suspected. You're comparing permits for renovation with not being able to bang a nail without landlord's say so?! Are you really that daft or just trolling down the river at this point?

For the record, you can do all of those things, with a variance, some drawings and cash. As a renter, you have the option of going to court to keep from getting tossed to the curb on a whim. But good luck with that. You pay for the privilege of someone else having your key and right of entry. Enjoy.

I not a fan of LI but I like having a house and to rent the 2k sq ft I have now I'd pay $3k minimum per month, much more than my monthly nut now.

You don't really get how laughable your posts are now that it is such a lame rental market. In 2008, selling and renting was pure genius. In 2017, renting is paying a nice premium for risk aversion and flexibility and little else. It's an emotional move, not a slick fiscal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
I'm responding to the squatters who refuse to leave :
They are leaving, you just don't like what they're trying to charge you to buy their humble abode. You so generously want people to cash out their equity but at a price that YOU deem appropriate.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
It's amazing that someone who has answers for everything started multiple threads with questions.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Hahahahha wow the emotional plea sales ploys are off the charts. "So what if you have to overpay, it's for your children's better education and doggonit Nassau County is worth it!"
Out of all my text about value being more than just return, you choose to respond only to 4 or 5 words, that I put in parenthesis.

So having use of something is worthless? There is no talking sense with you. Only cents.

"$93/mo. is a lot of money"... says the person paying $4100/mo. currently. Already more than many mortgages here.

Glad I don't deal with people like you everyday.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-03-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM

215 posts, read 248,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's amazing that someone who has answers for everything started multiple threads with questions.
Like a master troll setting bait...

Old 10-03-2017, 01:26 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Better still. See below.
Not even sure the location of the house, possibly not on LI, possibly not in NY and sight unseen is talking about building garages, removing walls and adding pools and the cost of a pool tax wise.

In my experience, Realtors don't usually know the answers to questions I'd need answered before buying a house. Like:

Can we put an IG pool in?
How much will IG pool raise our taxes?
Can we knock out a wall / build dormers, etc?
Can we plant or remove trees from property?
Can we build a garage / second garage?

Since Realtors don't know, who can we ask? Call the town? Will the town take the time to speak with us when we're not owners yet? Do people just blindly buy houses without knowing this stuff for sure? (We get a lot of "I'm 90% sure you'll be able to....)

Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
What's the point of appreciation if you never cash it in?
Also your home appreciates but then you have to buy in the new market, eating most of your profit margin.
Seriously? The point of appreciation is to accumulate wealth. If and when that accumulated wealth is cashed in is a matter of financial planning and estate planning just as any type of investment. No one accumulates wealth by paying a landlord and limiting ones own tax advantages.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Seriously? The point of appreciation is to accumulate wealth. If and when that accumulated wealth is cashed in is a matter of financial planning and estate planning just as any type of investment. No one accumulates wealth by paying a landlord and limiting ones own tax advantages.
Unless renting is cheaper and the difference is invested at a rate which accumulates wealth faster.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:45 PM

"difference is invested"

^ often stated, never done, IMO.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Unless renting is cheaper and the difference is invested at a rate which accumulates wealth faster.
Correct. But we are on the Long Island forum here; there are no rentals cheaper than comparable owned properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island