Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 7,807 times

Advertisements

I know that I am posting in the LI Forum, I do reside in Queens, NY

I own a 1936 English Tudor, typical stucco and brown wood trim

The wood trim boards on the front of the house are starting to rot due to water infiltration over 20 years, the stucco is perfectly intact and can remain.

Foam fabrication nor aluminum capping is not an option, this is a restoration house

Several calls to local contractors, no one wants to just replace the boards, no one wants to recommend anyone either

Might anyone be so kind as to recommend a contractor/wood craftsman experienced in this type of work?

Much appreciated, good day to All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:50 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
The issue is to get the wood "distressed" to match.....pain in the butt and expensive.

I agree, keep that stucco!

I will ask around.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
My grandparents lived in a Tudor house, built around 1550, so this is a pet peeve of mine. Your place is Neo-Tudor. Sometimes called Tudor revival. In England its called mock-Tudor.

But good luck with finding someone anyway.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM

397 posts, read 516,347 times
The nerve of some people, right? Posers....

Bwahahahaaaaaa!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 AM

193 posts, read 271,410 times
I live in a Neo-Mock-Tudor-Revival as well (happy bg7?).

This is a big fear of mine, I am past due for a paint job and have a few board that are in rough shape. Hoping they can be patched. Anything outside of the norm around here is a HUGE expense. Your should see the quotes I get for painting the exterior!

There is a house down the block from me that had all of their wood replaced with smooth timbering (not hewed) and it just does not look right at all).

I bought an Adze to hewn my own board for a replacement and it wasn't super hard, but takes a ton of practice to get the right "look". I didn't do so well.

Good luck and please keep this thread updated if you find someone.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM

KBInspections,

Thanks for your reply and offer to ask around, really appreciate this

I have been driving thru my neighborhood looking, to no avail, for any repair work currently being performed and now see many homes also in need of this same type of repair,

Never even occurred to me to mention on my post that my home's boards are flat, no texturing nor patterning, and I believe the original home was the same way, at least the board were fflaat 25 years ago when we bought the house

The only distress is the water damage )

Thanks again

Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 PM

Evening All,

KB, if you would not mind a question? Might you have heard of or worked with a wood product called
  • LIFESPAN® SOLID SELECT is made with CLEAR GRADE SOLID LUMBER. No finger-joints no knots EPA APPROVED preservatives offer SUPERIOR DURABILITY against moisture, rot, fungal attack, and insects. Two coats alkyd primer. FSC CERTIFIED (Copied from website). I have a sample and it looks great, definitely not PVC.
I have yet to come up with a Carpenter to do this work

thanks KB

Old 09-28-2017, 06:37 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
I just had a thought that might lead to help. Not sure where you live, but if you are nearby a registered historical area. Roslyn Village, East Williston Avenue, Cold Spring Harbor as examples they will have a Landmarks Preservation group. Maybe they can give you a referral.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
My grandparents lived in a Tudor house, built around 1550, so this is a pet peeve of mine. Your place is Neo-Tudor. Sometimes called Tudor revival. In England its called mock-Tudor.

Well maybe, but at least we drive on the correct side of the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
I live in a Neo-Mock-Tudor-Revival as well (happy bg7?).

What if you have a Revival home down in Clearwater Florida and the builder's name was Credence..

Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times

What if you have a Revival home down in Clearwater Florida and the builder's name was Credence..

lol

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island