Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is very true. It's apparent in Greek Life. Frats/Sors designated as the "Indian" Frat, "Christian" Frat, "Jewish" Frat, despite having a Greek name.

There is self-segregation throughout the US. It's not just the NYC metro area. Here, it may seem even more obvious because there isn't a lot of geographical space between ethnic enclaves because of the population density and high level of development. An exception might be the middle-class neighborhoods of the Washington DC area where the separation is based more on economic, rather than racial divisions and so some middle-class areas have more integration. Take a road trip across the US and you can observe self-segregation all over. It makes sense because houses of worship, ethnic clothing stores, ethnic food markets, are only going to make money or flourish if there is enough population to support it.
From the beginning of time this has been the case. All one has to do is look at areas in NY. Greenpoint, Polish,
Little Italy, Italian, Chinatown, Chinese, Borough Park, Jewish, Astoria, Greek, Rockaways, Irish, to name just a few. Yes, there has been some increasing changes to the makeup of the areas but by and large they are still self segregating. There is a comfort in being with people that understand your history, your customs, your foods, etc. So living within a like community is nothing new, What is new is that back in the day, you only mingled and "knew" your own kind because that is all you had access to for the most part. Today with social media and 24 hour news the world is a bigger place.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:38 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
Abby. In case you missed the tax reform thread, home prices are going to take a big hit here on LI. Get your check book ready, these last 50 posts you started might actually become useful for you.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Places like New York City?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5153739

I agree, it is a swamp!
NYC is not particularly segregated in reality, I could name 20 diverse neighborhoods off the top of my head. I have family in Kensington and it's an extremely diverse neighborhood.

That Huffington Post article and similar NyTimes one use improper methodology in my opinion.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
If you were able to keep up with a conversation and not just barge in with your copy and pasted liberal rants, you'd know we were talking about self segregation. Not that whites aren't permitted, just that they're not welcome. What black universities, communities and networks? Howard, Harlem (for example), BET. I can't take you seriously if you're actually denying that Black Entertainment is a clear example of self segregation. I've heard blacks calling places a "black neighborhood" and furthermore expressing their desire to live in one and that it remains one. That's what all the gentrification hoopla is about. They don't want whites with money moving in because it would jolt their comforts and customs. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. The only difference is, I'm condemned for my feelings. But of course, your last paragraph justifies the double standard. I don't see it your way. I think that excusing current behavior because of what happened to their ancestors decades ago is not only absurd but ironic. When conservatives label groups of people for any reason, it's bad...but when liberals do the same thing as a means to pardon certain behavior, it's compassion? Give me a break.
Tons of white people live in Harlem now.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
From the beginning of time this has been the case. All one has to do is look at areas in NY. Greenpoint, Polish,
Little Italy, Italian, Chinatown, Chinese, Borough Park, Jewish, Astoria, Greek, Rockaways, Irish, to name just a few. Yes, there has been some increasing changes to the makeup of the areas but by and large they are still self segregating. There is a comfort in being with people that understand your history, your customs, your foods, etc. So living within a like community is nothing new, What is new is that back in the day, you only mingled and "knew" your own kind because that is all you had access to for the most part. Today with social media and 24 hour news the world is a bigger place.

Astoria is a very diverse neighborhood, and Little Italy has pretty much no Italians left.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
*looking to buy a house, not rent a condo.*
Thanks in advance.
I live in GC, and our town has a reputation to be not-diverse. FALSE. As long as people share the same values as others in town, be respectful, take care of their properties and treat their neighbors like their friends you're fine.

Now, does that mean only a specific ethnicity describes all of the above? I'll leave that out there. I do know we have an influx of Asian and Indian population in GC and they are definitely fitting right in. Does that make GC more diverse, or do we need to have more diversity to not be labeled a racist?

Anyway, take a look at Lynbrook, Hewlett, Oceanside. Basically the South Shore of Nassau. Some great communities.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
If you were able to keep up with a conversation and not just barge in with your copy and pasted liberal rants, you'd know we were talking about self segregation. Not that whites aren't permitted, just that they're not welcome. What black universities, communities and networks? Howard, Harlem (for example), BET. I can't take you seriously if you're actually denying that Black Entertainment is a clear example of self segregation. I've heard blacks calling places a "black neighborhood" and furthermore expressing their desire to live in one and that it remains one. That's what all the gentrification hoopla is about. They don't want whites with money moving in because it would jolt their comforts and customs. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. The only difference is, I'm condemned for my feelings. But of course, your last paragraph justifies the double standard. I don't see it your way. I think that excusing current behavior because of what happened to their ancestors decades ago is not only absurd but ironic. When conservatives label groups of people for any reason, it's bad...but when liberals do the same thing as a means to pardon certain behavior, it's compassion? Give me a break.
There's really no point in arguing with somebody with your mindset b/c you'll just dismiss any input from a minority or anybody that disagrees with you as "liberal nonsense". If you want a healthy debate then you really have to come in with an open mind and a desire to at least try to understand the other person's perspective even if you decide to keep your own viewpoint in the end (instead of being defensive/stubborn and REFUSING to be "wrong" at any cost).

What you're calling "black entertainment" is not an example of self-segregation. Not only do whites have many significant roles in many of these shows but many of the producers/executives/script-writers are white. How is this self-segregation? This is a perfect example of different races working together to produce content.

Some blacks prefer to live in "black neighborhoods" but many actually prefer to raise their families in diverse neighborhoods. Again, the reasons why most predominately-black neighborhoods exist is NOT due to self-segregation but due to housing discrimination (steering, redlining, blockbusting) which STILL exists but also straight-up discriminatory laws that pushed people in my these areas. Many blacks in poor urban areas welcome whites with open arms b/c they believe that services and conditions will improve. You're minimizing/dismissing the role that history played in this but you can't ignore it since we live in a world with cause&effect and actions having reactions.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-04-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 AM

418 posts, read 367,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What you're calling "black entertainment" is not an example of self-segregation. Not only do whites have many significant roles in many of these shows but many of the producers/executives/script-writers are white. How is this self-segregation? This is a perfect example of different races working together to produce content.
I'm not calling it black entertaining...that's what they named the network. I don't care that white people work there. That's called pandering and profiting. In your last sentence you forgot to add "and market it to an all black audience." I guess you'll try to tell me it's a total coincidence that every single time I click through the channels, it's an all black cast or video or Awards show playing on the station... don't get me wrong, I'm not offended, I don't care. I just think the double standard is a joke.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
And once again one of your threads that you've started has spiraled into the abyss.

Last edited by pidge1114; 11-05-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island