Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drinking water?
Tap 20 35.09%
Bottled Water 21 36.84%
House Filtration / Reverse Osmosis 15 26.32%
Well 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

For those of you who get water from the ground (most municipalities here), do you drink it? We got a letter saying one of the aquafiers/tanks had to be shut down due to a bad finding and it set off lots of rumblings about how safe any of the water really is. We know nitrates are bad for infants and the levels had always been borderline acceptable. Chlorine is added to kill waterborne diseases but that's not good to ingest or even bathe with. I'm curious what most people are doing about it. Just had a guy from a whole house filtration company come and give me his pitch (no hard sell). They use a carbon/resin filtration system with salt (filters nearly everything but some chloramine and nitrates), as well as a reverse osmosis add-on for drinking/cooking at the kitchen (filters the rest). Nearly $4k.

We had been drinking Poland Spring just to be safe but he told me he had tested and found many minerals like mercury and arsenic in it also. The fridge filters do a good job with filtering out chlorine and others and would be a better bet than bottled (unregulated). So what do you guys do about your drinking water if anything? Are you concerned about it or does it not yet raise a red flag?

Last edited by ovi8; 11-13-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
For those of you who get water from the ground (most municipalities here), do you drink it? We got a letter saying one of the aquafiers/tanks had to be shut down due to a bad finding and it set off lots of rumblings about how safe any of the water really is. We know nitrates are bad for infants and the levels had always been borderline acceptable. Chlorine is added to kill waterborne diseases but that's not good to ingest or even bathe with. I'm curious what most people are doing about it. Just had a guy from a whole house filtration company come and give me his pitch (no hard sell). They use a carbon/resin filtration system with salt (filters nearly everything but some chloramine and nitrates), as well as a reverse osmosis add-on for drinking/cooking at the kitchen (filters the rest). Nearly $4k.

We had been drinking Poland Spring just to be safe but he told me he had tested and found many minerals like mercury and arsenic in it also. The fridge filters do a good job with filtering out chlorine and others and would be a better bet than bottled (unregulated). So what do you guys do about your drinking water if anything? Are you concerned about it or does it not yet raise a red flag?
Not sure if you're in Nassau or Suffolk, but in Suffolk the water authority has much higher and stricter standards that what goes into bottled water. So drinking Poland Spring doesn't automatically mean safer.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Bottled water is pretty much tap in a bottle anyway and you're just paying for plastic, lol. It has been proven that some brands actually are tap.

I drink the water here in Nassau. I think it tastes great. I'm not too worried about it.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Refrigerator filter.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 PM

731 posts, read 725,281 times
"I never drink water-that's the stuff that rusts pipes." - W.C. Fields

Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 PM

430 posts, read 557,489 times
We live in the extended path of the Bethpage plume, so we mostly stick to bottled water.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
I live in Nassau and I drink straight out of the tap.

And I think the plastic water bottle craze is terrible for the environment so I don't want to contribute to it when I don't have to, and although they're cheap, water in drinking quanities is damn near free from the tap.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Tap is fine.....tested and regulated much more than bottled water.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
My tap water is so good I would drink it from the hose outside!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 AM

731 posts, read 725,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
My tap water is so good I would drink it from the hose outside!
Even if it was laying in the summer all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island