Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM

46 posts, read 259,148 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can find the school cut off dates for Suffolk County? I'm looking to buy a home in Dix Hills and I was curious about this because my daughter's birthday is in December and I want to know if she'll go into kindergarten early or late. (It could mean an extra year at day care so I wanted to prepare.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
According to the Half Hollow Hills School District web site:

Students must be 5 years of age on or before December 31st of the year in which they begin kindergarten. During the spring, all entering kindergarten children are screened to identify special needs and to provide for their individual differences. Our full-day kindergarten program includes instruction in social readiness, reading, and mathematics readiness. Problem-solving activities are also incorporated into each school day. Parent conferences are scheduled for mid-November.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks. I went on their Web site and couldn't find anything. That helps so much. I know some cut offs are December 1st but I guess it's Dec. 31st.

Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
For what my 2 cents is worth, concider holding back a year. In the end, IMO its better for her academic and socila growth. You do not want your child to be the youngest and most immature student in the class.

We have the same issue and most teachers advised us to hold off a year. I know its expensive but I think its the way to go. Many districts its December 1-5.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
For what my 2 cents is worth, concider holding back a year. In the end, IMO its better for her academic and socila growth. You do not want your child to be the youngest and most immature student in the class.

We have the same issue and most teachers advised us to hold off a year. I know its expensive but I think its the way to go. Many districts its December 1-5.

Good luck!
I know of 2 boys who would have been the youngest and certainly benefited by being kept back a year.

My daughter is one of the very youngest in her class as she has a late November birthday. Socially and academically, she was ready to go to school. There are other children who have been held back the year. One boy turned 9 three months before my daughter's 8th birthday! There are some children who are held back by their parents for 'The Edge'. They are older and more mature than their classmates; early in elementary school they tend to look as though they are doing better than their classmates. It actually worked to my daughter's advantage because she became competitive with the children who were older than her -- the bar was raised and she rose to the challenge.

Going back to one of the boys I first mentioned: one boy was extremely shy and the parents feared that he would be lost in the classroom. The extra year allowed him to really bloom.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 29,505 times
I have the same situation. My son was born Dec. 31. Here in Florida the cut off is Sept. 1st. He's in Nursery now and would be attending pre-k this August. We are moving to NY this summer and it seems some districts are Dec. 1 and others Dec. 31. I am going to send him to pre-k instead of K even if the cut off is Dec. 31st. I feel he needs one more year before K. (As a former 1st grade teacher.)

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg23 View Post
I have the same situation. My son was born Dec. 31. Here in Florida the cut off is Sept. 1st. He's in Nursery now and would be attending pre-k this August. We are moving to NY this summer and it seems some districts are Dec. 1 and others Dec. 31. I am going to send him to pre-k instead of K even if the cut off is Dec. 31st. I feel he needs one more year before K. (As a former 1st grade teacher.)
You would certainly be the best judge as a parent and former educator.

Your son would be one of the oldest, but with respect to the January birthdays, it wouldn't be any significant difference, unlike the much older boy in my daughter's class.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
My son 's birthday is December 7th. Here in Pat/medford the cutoff was December 1st so he missed it by 6 days. His friend's birthday is November 23rd, so he made it by 7 days.

Honestly, knowing one of each ; I think it did my son a tremendous amount of good by keeping him home. He is one of the oldest in the class, is very responsible and mature. He also gets resource so he is not one of the smartest boys in the class when it comes to reading.

His friend has struggled every year and will always struggle. He is one of the biggest in the class but yet the youngest.

Just my two cents worth.
d

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks all!

I've heard that girls usually fare better when they are pushed ahead and boys fare better when held back. I didn't realize that I'd have the option to hold back if I wanted to. I think my daughter is pretty advanced (of course I do b/c I'm her mom), but she's still young. If I actually do have a choice, it's definitely something worth considering.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamibit View Post
Thanks all!

I've heard that girls usually fare better when they are pushed ahead and boys fare better when held back. I didn't realize that I'd have the option to hold back if I wanted to. I think my daughter is pretty advanced (of course I do b/c I'm her mom), but she's still young. If I actually do have a choice, it's definitely something worth considering.
Yep my daughter "advanced" for her age but I still think socially and eventually, athletically, its worth holding her back even if she is ready academically. Being older will instill more confidence with her classmates and social situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: