Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 61,755 times

Advertisements

I live in Suffolk and am also a cpse parent member. My son had services as a preschooler and I started as home based because it sounded like it would be easier. After a short period of time, we switched to center based because at home, he was in control and nothing got accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 187,862 times
I would make a phone call to your County Executive's office and/or to the head of the Suffolk County Health Department. I believe you have a choice as to where you think your child would make better progress.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:14 PM

101 posts, read 377,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Could someone offer some advice? I'm still on topic, just need helpful advice from such devoted parents!

My 3 year old just qualified for 20 hours of services (speech/OT/PT). Being that I am a special ed teacher, I do not want services in my home because I KNOW I will get way too involved in services.

Port Jefferson school district is now telling us that our child is not entitled to go to a school for services even though she is entitled to the hours. We're being told that in-home services is all we can get. Can anyone comment?
That is insane!!!! 20 hours of services would actually be cheaper for the district/county to send the child to school. I would call another CPSE meeting and bring an advocate. Long Island Advocates could help you with this. Does your son have any social issues where he could benefit with peer involvement/ role models?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM

10 posts, read 54,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtgeorge View Post
lilspeech,

Call Long Island Infant Developmental Program (516) 546-2333. Try and speak to Tara.

Thanks sgtgeorge, believe or not but I currently have therapists thru them. I was lucky to get the speech therapist (CPSE). As I mentioned I would like to find a new speech therapist but I'm not sure if I want to thru them. Did you get your therapist thru them? If so, how many years have you been using them?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 54,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytochris View Post
That is insane!!!! 20 hours of services would actually be cheaper for the district/county to send the child to school. I would call another CPSE meeting and bring an advocate. Long Island Advocates could help you with this. Does your son have any social issues where he could benefit with peer involvement/ role models?

Yes, I totally agree. It is less expensive for the district to provide you with home services than to send your child to a special needs school. I visited several schools before our CPSE meeting and then come find out he wouldn't qualify for a school, not even for half a day. I think the reason also is, is that my child goes to day care so why should they send my child to a special school that they would have to pay for.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 AM

100 posts, read 374,652 times
lilspeech,

Just sent you a DM.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM

101 posts, read 377,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspeech View Post
Yes, I totally agree. It is less expensive for the district to provide you with home services than to send your child to a special needs school. I visited several schools before our CPSE meeting and then come find out he wouldn't qualify for a school, not even for half a day. I think the reason also is, is that my child goes to day care so why should they send my child to a special school that they would have to pay for.
quite the opposite IMO the school charges a flat rate services included where each service is billed seperately for home based. The school bill should be cheaper than 20 hours of in home services. I would definitely push for a school program if the child needs it especially for role modelling. But in reality by law cost should not be a factor. It is what the child needs that should be decided. IMO 20 hours at home is a lot for a child to tolerate no less a preschooler. Being with other kids at school having fun may be better.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 AM

61 posts, read 210,086 times
You may want to contact a local University that has a Speech-Language Pathology program, like Hofstra, Adelphi, or CW Post. They typically have a clinic where the graduate students are trained and work with a certified speech therapist. They are usually much more affordable, caring, and motivated to help your children.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspeech View Post
They told me their therapists do not go offsite. I work full time so it would be hard to go to their office. I currently have one going to the day care but not thrilled about her and want to change.

That is not true, i used Cooper Kids for my son and the Speech Therapist i had was WONDERFUL, she came to my home 3 times a week.
I would call back, someone made a mistake!
Good Luck to you!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
I am also a teacher and when my son needed speech and physical therapy I had to fight for it to be in my home; I didn't want him to miss class time and I wanted to make sure he was seen. My physical therapist was great, and although I can't remember her name I know she worked at a private school in Massapequa called The Hagedorn Little Village School - she came to me through CPSE. Speech was anther story. I went through around five therapists until I finally hired privately a woman named Aliza from West Hempstead; she was great.
Whatever happens, GOOD LUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island