Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why? I live in Michigan sounds right. Why wouldn’t you live IN Long Island? One doesn’t live ON Rhode Island.if so, everyone lives on their location.
Rhode Island is not an island. Nor is Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
[/b]

Teddy did summer here. Does that count?

I can think of a world class philanthropist who was raised in Great Neck and then became listed on Forbes. His name is listed on several hospital wings.
He did more than just summer here although it was considered his “summer home” when he was President it was his primary residence for years. He had several of his kids here and died here as well.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:22 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
He did more than just summer here although it was considered his “summer home” when he was President it was his primary residence for years. He had several of his kids here and died here as well.
Yes, I know. He was born in NYC and since we were discussing whether famous transplants who spent their early years in NYC could be called authentic Long Islanders. I vote that Teddy was a Long Islander.

He built Sagamore for Alice, who died young, but spent many years there with his second wife.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Tedder was probably the last person of significance to have something to do with LI.
Entertainers/celebrities don't count. Sorry Bill. That's just how it is.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM

59 posts, read 82,353 times
Albert Einstein spent at least a summer in Cutchogue in 1939. He liked to sail in the Sound. (Or is that on the sound?)

And it wasn't all fun and games. It was during that summer Einstein signed his name to a letter delivered to President Franklin Roosevelt stating America couldn't afford sit around on its hands while Germany is getting closer to having a nuclear weapon.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
Albert Einstein spent at least a summer in Cutchogue in 1939. He liked to sail in the Sound. (Or is that on the sound?)

And it wasn't all fun and games. It was during that summer Einstein signed his name to a letter delivered to President Franklin Roosevelt stating America couldn't afford sit around on its hands while Germany is getting closer to having a nuclear weapon.
He was a tourist.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
He was a tourist.
ah LI's creation and existence... Moses (Robert, not the biblical one) sent the dregs in all directions to get them out of the city. LI was never meant to be year round living for the people that mattered. To this day, it remains an awesome place for the richies to have a second home and/or visit the forks.

Many can stretch to try and find greatness in people that LI produced, but the reality will be Bill O'Reilly and the Baldwins... Amy Fisher, et al. What do they have in common? Not difficult to figure out. If I had to categorize it, would be LI to a tee - exaggerated self importance, chip on the shoulder, funny to some (especially fellow LIers), and a really bad low class accent. When I was young the accent was cool, took some time to figure out how bad it really is in the business world. Take a listen to Theresa Caputo and it won't take long to realize that doesn't play to be taken serious nationally, let alone globally.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Long Islanders never ending talk of and listening to Billy Joel is possibly one of our areas most incessantly boring attributes. It's up there with talking about not knowing how to live without pizza and bagels. Long Islands #1 recording artist: Billy Joel. Long Islands #2: Mike Del Guidowhatver's Big Shot.

Wake me when it's over please.

Seinfeld was born in Brooklyn but grew up in Massapequa. Lou Reed grew up on Long Island. Pat Benatar was born and raised on Long Island. Branch out a little bit people.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Long Islanders never ending talk of and listening to Billy Joel is possibly one of our areas most incessantly boring attributes. It's up there with talking about not knowing how to live without pizza and bagels. Long Islands #1 recording artist: Billy Joel. Long Islands #2: Mike Del Guidowhatver's Big Shot.

Wake me when it's over please.

Seinfeld was born in Brooklyn but grew up in Massapequa. Lou Reed grew up on Long Island. Pat Benatar was born and raised on Long Island. Branch out a little bit people.
Agreed. The sameness on LI year after year after decade gets boring. I now live in an area far down the economic scale. But it's much more interesting than LI.

The world is a big place, while LI always feels so inbred. Here's a secret: Turkish "bagels" are better than NY's. They're called simit.

My favorite part of living on LI was never LI. It was living close to the city and easy access to JFK. That's it, really.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
he's one of the most successful and popular singer/songwriters in the history of recorded music. If there is a local obsession with him, I'd say it's warranted. And here's a newsflash, he's extremely popular outside of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island