Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Don't forget that town inspectors may even come by your open houses. I think I saw a few stories on this.
I guess only hold open houses on Sunday. Not likely they’ll be out working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
so if there is an open permit regardless of the buyer or type of sale and negotiating, the open permits have to be closed?

i believe there is also an open permit for central ac installed long ago, i assumed the AC company who opened the permit, handled it, but when i picked up the survey the other day, they told me i had an open permit for an AC installed 11 years ago.

It may be closed and just a paperwork issue, but i am not sure.

i would assume to close this permit, they would have to come into the house and then im basically inviting them into see everything else that may or may not be permitted.
We lived in TNH. We wanted to drop the old fence and put in a PVC one. We paid the permit and got the estimate and even paid a deposit to the fence company. Unfortunately, we were told via letter that the a/c (which was there when we bought the house and had no trouble closing on) was not done with a permit and therefore had to be inspected by an electrical inspector for $99. He found that the box was rusted outside and the circuit breaker needed to be changed out for a lower amp to bring it in line with the current codes. So we needed to correct the "Deficiencies" and then once that was done by only a Nassau County licensed electrician, , we could then call the electrical inspector back and he would check the work and sign off on it, for and second visit fee of the discounted rate of $90. The electrical work was if I recall $1200 so the brought the total to rough $1400. That however was not the end of it as we were into the side setbacks by 2 inches so we had to then apply for variances. The only good that came of it was the neighbors all agreed that for us to move the unit would impact them as it was currently facing on the neighbors side of his garage, and anywhere I moved it would be closer to actual living space, so they approved the variance. I should also mention that the permit fee at the time was $50 and the same for the variance, BUT, because it was done already we had to pay $200 each as a penalty for failure to file for the permit. By the time this was all cleared up we got our deposit back for the fence and never put it up since we decide to move. The final kicker was we failed to close the permit out and when the title search was run, they showed that as outstanding. We needed to have the town come and inspect that it had never been done.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 PM

166 posts, read 190,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We lived in TNH. We wanted to drop the old fence and put in a PVC one. We paid the permit and got the estimate and even paid a deposit to the fence company. Unfortunately, we were told via letter that the a/c (which was there when we bought the house and had no trouble closing on) was not done with a permit and therefore had to be inspected by an electrical inspector for $99. He found that the box was rusted outside and the circuit breaker needed to be changed out for a lower amp to bring it in line with the current codes. So we needed to correct the "Deficiencies" and then once that was done by only a Nassau County licensed electrician, , we could then call the electrical inspector back and he would check the work and sign off on it, for and second visit fee of the discounted rate of $90. The electrical work was if I recall $1200 so the brought the total to rough $1400. That however was not the end of it as we were into the side setbacks by 2 inches so we had to then apply for variances. The only good that came of it was the neighbors all agreed that for us to move the unit would impact them as it was currently facing on the neighbors side of his garage, and anywhere I moved it would be closer to actual living space, so they approved the variance. I should also mention that the permit fee at the time was $50 and the same for the variance, BUT, because it was done already we had to pay $200 each as a penalty for failure to file for the permit. By the time this was all cleared up we got our deposit back for the fence and never put it up since we decide to move. The final kicker was we failed to close the permit out and when the title search was run, they showed that as outstanding. We needed to have the town come and inspect that it had never been done.
if i knew it was 1400 or 3,000 or 5,000 i would pay it today. im just worried they would make me take down existing work.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,484 times
Quote:
So I am thinking about selling my home and there is a few things that don't have permits.

garage conversion, vaulted ceilings, removing some bearing walls, 2nd electrical panel.

Either way... Am I better off selling the home as is and say, or say i am not sure what has permits or not, or going to the town to say look i have a house i want to sell and I want to get permits for the world that was done well before I bought the home.

There is also 2 extensions that im had to be permitted 20-30 years ago, b/c they are on mynassauproperty.com sketch, and they are more than obvious, but they are not on the survey i just got from the town, the survey is from when the home was build 60 years ago, im sure its just an old survey or it was never updated, is that common?

town of oyster bay this is for.
Short answer:

Everyone on this forum is a retard.

Sell the house. You will not have an issue. Zip a de lip. $500 PDCA. And dat's dat.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
@moneymm22 you said purchased the house with all the open permits right? And your bank still gave you a mortgage. Listen to GX89, he gave good advice. Play dumb and you can always negotiate with buyer by giving credit. It's hard for a buyer to walk away after paid inspection, signed contract and time spent. One thing fist time buyers need to be educated on is not all open permits are bad. Keeps property tax lower!
The very reason why some municipalities now increase taxes when the permit is issued!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I guess only hold open houses on Sunday. Not likely they’ll be out working.
Wrong!

Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Stay positive, as mentioned above I had similar issues we closed for well above asking price. AC is the easiest permit to close, call up the company who installed it, raise hell and get them to close it. All cash buyer can close with an open permit since there is no bank. There are plenty of all cash buyers, The Chinese and Indians are buying up Jericho, Syosset, Plainview School districts, If you are in no rush you will get one. You have to avoid letting the town in your house.
1 - the CAC may require a variance. It often does.

2 - there isn't a company out there that doesn't put in their fine print "ultimately getting the permit/CO/variance/whatever is the responsibility of the homeowner".

If there's an open permit it needs to be closed. Are you saying you bought the house with an open permit, or YOU opened the permit?

Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
if i knew it was 1400 or 3,000 or 5,000 i would pay it today. im just worried they would make me take down existing work.
I was only speaking to the a/c issue. The rest is a crap shoot. If the inspector for the a/c comes in with a blind eye you are home free, if not, you may have a problem.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:32 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Wrong!
Really? So inspectors are now working weekends too?

Old 09-28-2018, 05:38 AM

166 posts, read 190,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
1 - the CAC may require a variance. It often does.

2 - there isn't a company out there that doesn't put in their fine print "ultimately getting the permit/CO/variance/whatever is the responsibility of the homeowner".

If there's an open permit it needs to be closed. Are you saying you bought the house with an open permit, or YOU opened the permit?
the central ac 2007 and open permit was opened and i thought closed by AC company, i am just finding out now it wasnt closed.

but i had it replaced the condenser 2013 anyway, i cannot remember if i got a permit or not. it was just to replace the unit in the same exact spot etc.

i dont see a variance necessary its within the outline of my house and the company that did it got the permit approved, just didnt finalize it apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island