Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times

Advertisements

Considering the fortune they are still asking for newly constructed McMansions, are you really better off buying one? I do not think so. Look at the people who they use to build new houses, often non-union, unskilled "day laborers", many of whom are here illegally. The construction is often shoddy, and in some cases downright dangerous, as some folks in a Scarsdale neighborhood found out today MyFox New York | Scarsdale House Explosion (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6212364&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1 - broken link)

I would rather buy a home that is older that was built by quality American labor. This is something homebuyers should think about. Renters too. The newly constructed Archstone apartment complex in Westbury had to close because the builders didn't seal up the roofs and pipes and mold was growing, again another "quality" job done by illegals, I know because I saw them working there, and the big "rat" was out in front, a protest by unions of the use of non-union labor on construction projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
My 1926 stucco tudor with plaster walls is like a mini-bomb shelter. I can't imagine what some of the cheaper McMansions will look like when they are 80 years old.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
Default Quite True, also ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Considering the fortune they are still asking for newly constructed McMansions, are you really better off buying one? I do not think so. Look at the people who they use to build new houses, often non-union, unskilled "day laborers", many of whom are here illegally. The construction is often shoddy, and in some cases downright dangerous, as some folks in a Scarsdale neighborhood found out today MyFox New York | Scarsdale House Explosion (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6212364&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1 - broken link)

I would rather buy a home that is older that was built by quality American labor. This is something homebuyers should think about. Renters too. The newly constructed Archstone apartment complex in Westbury had to close because the builders didn't seal up the roofs and pipes and mold was growing, again another "quality" job done by illegals, I know because I saw them working there, and the big "rat" was out in front, a protest by unions of the use of non-union labor on construction projects.

Quite True, also the materials used today are of inferior quality. PVC pipes have replaced copper and steel where ever possible, pressed plywood today instead of hardwood planking, etc... Homes built from the 1920s through the 1950s are the best. Some of the homes built in the 60s are quite good also, but since the 70s home construction (at least here on Long Island) has taken a turn for the worse. Quick profits are more important than a job well done.

Oh, don't forget, those older homes often have much lower property taxes. Newly constructed homes often have very high property taxes. Another reason why older homes are better is that they are often situated in better planned neighborhoods on quality land in the best locations. Think about where most new construction is taking place today; the worst possible places next to highways, in flood zones, etc...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:08 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post

Somehow people who want new manage to see around the obvious; they want the latest and greatest and just don't care how it came to be. They aren't going to stick around long enough to see what the house will be like in 30-40 years as they will be complaining about their taxes and fleeing, leaving those of us remaining to look at their eyesores.

The townhomes adjacent to Home Depot in South Setauket are a great example. They were slammed up. Those 'semi-custom' homes on the NW corner of Moriches Rd & 347 in St James -- major corners were cut to make a bigger profit. The developers are churning out a product; they hire whoever costs least to give them a finished product. Gone are the days when a builder would proudly place his name on his product.

Homeowners of the houses that do start going bad fast will be calling local contractors crying about leaks and other larger problems and will have problems accepting that it is attributable to a bad build. They'll blame the messenger. They'll accuse him of trying to rip them off when all along they want to ignore the fact that they were ripped off the moment they bought the place.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 AM

62 posts, read 240,052 times
My house was built in the late 50s. It's a very small development (spans maybe five or six streets, tops), but still, a development. The stories I heard from some of the neighborhood's original residents sound not unlike what I'm reading here. Plumbing problems, foundation issues, inferior finishing materials...the list goes on and on. As the years passed and newer residents (like us) began doing renovations on what were now considered "older" homes, we found 1/4 inch sheetrock (which some earlier residents discovered when their kids put elbows or knees through the walls while playing), uneven spacing of studs (not even following any discernible pattern), and undersized joists in some areas. And that was back in the 1950s!

Still, it is clear that many of the homes going up today are largely of shoddy workmanship. They may look pretty on the outside, but their inner workings are rotten.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Funny.....I find many issues with newer construction than with older. Most people do not get new construction inspections. Its new construction, what can go wrong?

Town inspectors have been overwhelmed and get paid very little. Many are former house builders! Plus some towns are just much better at enforcing NYS building code than others.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM

KB, I am sure you find many, many more issues with newer construction than with older; of this I have no doubt. What I was pointing out was that while most new construction is pure crap, there are still some older development homes with similar such serious issues.

You brought up a great and very important point about people foregoing inspections on new construction, because they assume that being brand new, following code, and passing town inspection is a final seal of approval. Honestly, I have to admit that I probably would have assumed the same thing, were I in the position of buying a newly constructed house.

I am very glad you brought our attention to this issue. You just may be saving a lot of people out there much heartache and money.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

244 posts, read 669,097 times
Gotta keep in mind that most people move every 7 years. I for one LOVE McMansions and woud buy one if I could afford it.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM

I can't imagine moving every seven years. I can't imagine being able to AFFORD to move every seven years! I like my town, my neighborhood and my house, so I have no real reason to go anywhere else.

But, yes, I know that on average, it's true. Blows my mind!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
I can't imagine moving every seven years. I can't imagine being able to AFFORD to move every seven years! I like my town, my neighborhood and my house, so I have no real reason to go anywhere else.

But, yes, I know that on average, it's true. Blows my mind!
I'm with you, very content where I am and will not move any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island