Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

When a home, registered as a single family residence through the town, rents their basement illegally, What measures does the town take to correct the violation? It's been reported, however, the town states that the homeowner won't let them inside the premise to confirm the violation. What can the neighbors do to provide proof to the town of the illegal apartment? Normally I wouldn't care but it is an unruly house with frequent police activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
You could try taking pictures of numerous cars (along with their license plates). Also try obtaining copies of the police reports to see if they responded to the basement apartment. If the town wants to seriously pursue it they need to get a warrant if the homeowner denies them entrance.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
Need more than one family [person] to make a complaint. "OFTEN"

See if you can get the mailman to tell you how many last names are being delivered. # of cars, people entering "photos"
Town of Islip is lets say turning a blind eye to that type of home is there Non english speakers.
I have one across the street from my house. You know the affordable housing thing. Was a lottery , gee guess what one the bid. And then they could not afford it , so some kind of deal was made "ZERO" taxes. While the homes around it pay $10'000 The place was torn down and rebuilt [ except for 1 wall] New Lawn, trees, shrubs, 6' fence.
Was supposed to one family. MOM/DAD/2 kids. Now 4 adults and 5 [ some time 7 kids off the bus] kids all the time, with 2 other adults part time [ like 4 days a week] And "7" last names on the mail being delivered.
Say anything and your a racists. Myself and 4 other families Made complaints.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:33 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
See if you can get the mailman to tell you how many last names are being delivered.
This won't work, because mail keeps being delivered to former tenants for YEARS after they have left.

Case in point: I bought my house five years ago. It had an illegal basement apartment that the sellers swore up, down and sideways that they had NEVER had a tenant in, during the 10 years they lived in the house. The town had it as an unfinished basement with an outside entrance (original survey shows it was indeed built that way) but since we were paying cash the finishing/kitchen/bathroom never came up.

Two months after buying the house an issue was found in the basement that required gutting the entire thing and putting it back to its original state as an unfinished basement. The problem had nothing to do with tenants or renting, it was discovered during part of some remodeling upstairs. Come to also find out from the neighbors that the sellers had been renting out the illegal apartment the entire time they lived there; the wife is a professor at Suffolk Community and they'd rent it to students for a year or two.

Obviously there have been no tenants in my house since early 2013 but I still get mail (first class and bulk) addressed to not only the former owner but also to their various tenants. I'd say at least a half dozen pieces of mail per week on average, all year long. At this point I've seen 7 different tenant names, plus every so often I get mail addressed to two owners back. Those people owned the house during the 1990s and sold it in 2003 to the people I bought from.

All that to say that asking the mailman about names on current mail doesn't prove anything about any current tenants. If someone asked our mailman that, he'd say "five or six different names". The ironic part is that none of those would be ours, LOL, because all OUR mail has always gone a PO box no matter where we've lived, ever since the 1980s.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM

731 posts, read 724,295 times
It's actually quite simple. Get a couple other neighbors to call the town. Call the same number, same exchange every day at the same time for about 2-3 weeks. Sooner than later that secretary will have had enough and her boss will be left with no recourse but investigate. He knows....an angry secretary is no fun.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:17 PM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
yeah good luck with that try finding three neighbors to take up your cause and put a complaint in writing. they will all play dumb and pretend they don't hear or see anything. no family wants to be labeled as a rat and if there bad people in the house they may be violent and get revenge.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 AM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
What are the problems with illegal rentals other than them being illegal? Because I have a single family living next to me with 5 adults and one child and like 5 cars in the driveway and on the street. There are times I came home and their car is parked in front of my house. So I parked in front of theirs. Those are not big deals. What's unruly about their behavior? Loud music? Loud noise? If your biggest concern is too many different last names on the mail or 4 adults living in the home or seven children coming off the bus... I say get a life. You probably just don't like your neighbors. And that's no reason to call the town for that. You think people want to rent out an illegal basement or 2nd floor? People get fired, get divorced, get widowed, etc. Lastly, if there was a serious issue with whatever they're doing, a conversation would've taken place already. Most people don't want police or investigators at their home or a fine.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,223 times
Default Illegal Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
What are the problems with illegal rentals other than them being illegal? Because I have a single family living next to me with 5 adults and one child and like 5 cars in the driveway and on the street. There are times I came home and their car is parked in front of my house. So I parked in front of theirs. Those are not big deals. What's unruly about their behavior? Loud music? Loud noise? If your biggest concern is too many different last names on the mail or 4 adults living in the home or seven children coming off the bus... I say get a life. You probably just don't like your neighbors. And that's no reason to call the town for that. You think people want to rent out an illegal basement or 2nd floor? People get fired, get divorced, get widowed, etc. Lastly, if there was a serious issue with whatever they're doing, a conversation would've taken place already. Most people don't want police or investigators at their home or a fine.
if you think illegal rentals only go as far as illegally parking on the street, Loud Music & noise you are sorely mistaken. #1. A single family home paying property tax for a single family dwelling then renting a basement apartment to a family with children, increases my property taxes to cover the cost of these rental kids to attend the school district. Try renting legally and paying your share of the taxes for a "legal" 2 family. #2. The safety of those renting is at risk with only one entryway to egress should there be a fire (and this particular house did have a major fire where one of my family members jeopardized their life to go in and get a human & several dogs out). #3. Police activity is domestic violence related. Catfights on front lawn; dishes being thrown out the front door; Cursing; drinking and littering the street with beer bottles; trying to run each other over in the road; Do I hate my neighbor? Yes because of all of the above. I do have a life -don't need to get one ... but this kind of crap is disrespectful to those of us who follow the law and want a decent neighborhood for our kids to grow up in. The impact of illegal rentals is high impact on those who follow the law and work hard for a living. If one gets divorced or fired ... put on your big girl/boy panties and grow up - life goes on! These are truly poor excuses/examples of why one should be allowed to rent illegally. Sounds like self entitlement to me -" I got a divorce - my life sucks - I'll illegally rent to get ahead instead of taking in a 2nd job or better job or selling the house for a smaller one".

Old 11-26-2018, 10:15 AM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judee33 View Post
if you think illegal rentals only go as far as illegally parking on the street, Loud Music & noise you are sorely mistaken. #1. A single family home paying property tax for a single family dwelling then renting a basement apartment to a family with children, increases my property taxes to cover the cost of these rental kids to attend the school district. Try renting legally and paying your share of the taxes for a "legal" 2 family. #2. The safety of those renting is at risk with only one entryway to egress should there be a fire (and this particular house did have a major fire where one of my family members jeopardized their life to go in and get a human & several dogs out). #3. Police activity is domestic violence related. Catfights on front lawn; dishes being thrown out the front door; Cursing; drinking and littering the street with beer bottles; trying to run each other over in the road; Do I hate my neighbor? Yes because of all of the above. I do have a life -don't need to get one ... but this kind of crap is disrespectful to those of us who follow the law and want a decent neighborhood for our kids to grow up in. The impact of illegal rentals is high impact on those who follow the law and work hard for a living. If one gets divorced or fired ... put on your big girl/boy panties and grow up - life goes on! These are truly poor excuses/examples of why one should be allowed to rent illegally. Sounds like self entitlement to me -" I got a divorce - my life sucks - I'll illegally rent to get ahead instead of taking in a 2nd job or better job or selling the house for a smaller one".

You know if you sell your house you still owe the bank the balance of the mortgage? So you're advice is to sell your house where you've already been paying down a mortgage for some years then take out another 30 year mortgage on a smaller home? That's your great advice? Or after you've already worked 8 hours at your job, go out and work another 4 hours at another job. And now you gotta pay one of these long island babysitters $300 a week to watch your children after school. More great advice. Or your can apply for one of those $150,000 paying jobs they are giving out all over the place. I guess that would be ideal.

Families move in with one another all the time, and we dont get upset
that their children have to attend the school. Or do we? I dont know. I
just moved out here. Please tell me... my neighbor has two adult children, both married,
and three grand children living with him. There goes my taxes. And would you feel differently about illegal apartments that have more than one egress? Would that change your mind? Probably not. So really #3 is what's bothering you. You just hate your neighbors, which is your right. If they were ideal neighbors, you wouldn't have a problem with them being there. You probably wouldn't even notice them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: