Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Honest question - what does Westchester have going for it in comparison other than tranquil suburban scenery? It's "boring" enough on suburban LI (but I can name plenty of entertainment attractions), so I can only imagine Westchester being worse in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Yes, The Port Jefferson Ferry.

Its hit or miss. You can breeze rite off or onto the Island. But 7X out of 10 you will be stuck in traffic. And Im being nice with that ratio.
No you can get to Stamford in an hour and Bridgeport in under 2 hrs with the Throggs Neck / Whitestone and up 95 easily. We do it often. Even with rush hour traffic at the moment Google Maps is saying 1hr40min to Bridgeport.

The ferry actually takes longer, costlier, but is more stress-free.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-29-2018 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Towards this point, I have multiple kids that compete in multiple sports all the time against kids/teams from Westchester and Long Island. The parents are night-and-day different. Long Island parents are obnoxious screamers and dress much more blue collar. Westchester parents behave like they are at the opera, and dress like they are coming off the yacht or the slopes at Aspen.
Same here with sports and parents, but I would definitely say it depends on the LI town. Even between LI teams, those based in certain areas (like particular blue-collar southern towns) are much more abrasive / obnoxious and even us LI'ers notice.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Honest question - what does Westchester have going for it in comparison other than tranquil suburban scenery? It's "boring" enough on suburban LI (but I can name plenty of entertainment attractions), so I can only imagine Westchester being worse in that respect.

No you can get to Stamford in an hour and Bridgeport in under 2 hrs with the Throggs Neck / Whitestone and up 95 easily. We do it often. Even with rush hour traffic at the moment Google Maps is saying 1hr40min to Bridgeport.

The ferry actually takes longer, costlier, but is more stress-free.
You hit the nail on the head " what does Westchester have going for it in comparison other than tranquil suburban scenery" That is it's only advantage to me. When I travel its usually by air and the car trips I take we always leave at night to avoid traffic. LI has plenty of places that have that Westchester woodsy secluded feel. Any where in Nassau that offers 1 acre lots, or basically 1/2 of Suffolk.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:31 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Westchester is better just because of the simple fact that it's not LI.
And that's all there is to it.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You hit the nail on the head " what does Westchester have going for it in comparison other than tranquil suburban scenery" That is it's only advantage to me. When I travel its usually by air and the car trips I take we always leave at night to avoid traffic. LI has plenty of places that have that Westchester woodsy secluded feel. Any where in Nassau that offers 1 acre lots, or basically 1/2 of Suffolk.
Its the point that you have to leave at night in hopes of avoiding the traffic just to go anywhere that's off the island that stinks. Your closer to Kennedy but La Guardia is pretty evenly located between Most of Westchester and Long Island. Do a search on Zillow for home with 1+ acre and you will be see that Westchester has more home throughout with even more in the upper 2/3 north of I287. Nassau has almost 0 south of Northern State and Suffolk shows a lot but primarily in 2 distinctive areas.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Its the point that you have to leave at night in hopes of avoiding the traffic just to go anywhere that's off the island that stinks. Your closer to Kennedy but La Guardia is pretty evenly located between Most of Westchester and Long Island. Do a search on Zillow for home with 1+ acre and you will be see that Westchester has more home throughout with even more in the upper 2/3 north of I287. Nassau has almost 0 south of Northern State and Suffolk shows a lot but primarily in 2 distinctive areas.
Good luck getting to the airport from Westchester w/o a car. Rite now Bronxville to lga 31 min to jfk 51. Melville to lga and jfk 37 min. Bronxville is minutes from NYC border, Melville is 18 miles to the border of Queens. For me I just take a 20 min ride to Jamaica or 27 to Woodside and hop the airtrain or uber. We are always closer to the airport. Getting 1+ acre isn't really a challenge there is 1600 properties on the MLS with 1+ acre. On LI if you want to be in a good SD and commutable to NYC and to me that means east of 110 ill include Dix Hills you will have to pay $$ for the land. It's no diff in Westchester go find a house in Larchmont on 1+ acre or Ardsley that has taxes under 23k it's not happening. Both places are the same LI is a bit cheaper on taxes and I can get to the airport w/o taking a $125 one way car service.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Arguing over proximity to airports is silly. I would imagine for most homeowner, this is an issue that is rather low on the list when it comes to shopping for a home.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
Concerns over being stuck on an island are also overblown. How often do you need to drive thru Manhattan to visit somewhere in NJ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Arguing over proximity to airports is silly. I would imagine for most homeowner, this is an issue that is rather low on the list when it comes to shopping for a home.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
One big advantage of LI over Westvhester is its easier access to Queens and Brooklyn. These will be economic driver for the near future. So LI will have easy access to 3 big employment centers while Eestvhester only has one

Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 16,164 times
Default They both have advantages

I grew up in Southern Westchester (Yonkers area), lived in Northern Westchester for many years (Peekskill area) and now live in Suffolk.

1. Long Island has lots of craft breweries that are really great. Westchester has some good ones, but not nearly as many. (Blue Point is in Patchouge, Captain Lawrence is in Elmsford)

2. Suffolk is flat, or at least the parts I'm familiar with since the place is so huge that I haven't been everywhere. Westchester is one big hill. It gets more snow than the Island. Yonkers is the second hilliest city in the U.S.A. after San Francisco. When it snows anywhere I am, I am not happy. When it snows in Yonkers and I'm there with a car, I want to cut my wrists and watch the blood drip on the snow. (Yonkers, BTW, is the fourth largest city in the state, not counting New York City in this statistic)

3. Long Island has more golf courses that are accessible to people who don't fall into the "Thurston Howell The Third/The Clintons Of Chappaqua" category. There are six public courses, and the sixth one was added only about a decade ago and was the first new one in about 50 years. You have to have a Westchester County Park Pass to get a decent rate to play on them, or to even be allowed to, unless they've changed the system since I lived there and used it, which would have been around 2007. Bethpage Black is a public course that hosts the U.S. Open and I can actually play there if I'd like, though I wouldn't because I stink like a fish at golf and they want you to keep it moving. Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, where I saw the U.S. Open in 2006, would most likely have me tazed by security if I even suggested I ought to be allowed to play there.

4. Westchester had North Tarrytown, which changed it's name to Sleepy Hollow when the GM plant closed so that tourists would increase our revenue hoping to catch a glimpse of Ichabod Crane. Those of us who grew up in Westchester giggle about this.

5. Right up the road from Sleepy Hollow is Ossining, home to Don Draper on the first few seasons of "Mad Men" and hometown of Peter Falk, of Lieutenant Columbo fame, for whom they named a street. It's also the location of Sing Sing. The town motto used to be "Stay Home On Thursday Nights And Watch Your Lights Dim." The old film noir term "up the river" referred to being sent to Sing Sing, either to be incarcerated for a while or at some point invited by the warden to have a seat. If you're ever there on a Thursday, don't go to the barber and for God Sakes don't sit down!

6. This just happened, which is not good: https://www.wsj.com/articles/westche...s-p-1543362828

7. Westchester is not upstate. PERIOD. No discussion.

8. Metro North is better than the LIRR. It's not as big so it's easier to run. Grand Central has no other railroad, so they know what track the train will leave from about a half hour before it's scheduled departure time and so they pull in and open the doors for you. You don't have that ridiculous mad rush that reminds me of The Beatles during the opening of 'A Hard Day's Night" when they're running through the train station trying to get away from their adoring fans who are chasing them down the platform in order to jump on the train with them. Also, what's the deal with all the transfers? Dumbest thing ever. Yonkers is on the Hudson Line. White Plains is on the Harlem Line. You don't get on a train to Yonkers, then transfer at 125th Street (Metro North's Jamaica) to go to White Plains, unless you got on the wrong train in which case you'd get out at 125 since all lines stop there. Trains just run on their own line. I'll assume this is due to the massive size of the LIRR. And Metro North seems to have a smoother ride; some of the LIRR trains need new shocks as the one I rode the other day was like the noon stage out of Dodge City. Cars are exactly the same, conductors dress the same, the computer voice is the same (replace "This Station is...Baldwin...This is the train to...Babylon" with "This station is Tuckahoe...this is the train to...White Plains") but there are no double deckers on Metro North and I like those. We also have Amtrak at certain stations since you can't go directly to Penn from Westchester and since Grand Central wisely tossed them out back in the 80s. Hopefully the MTA won't screw things up as they've just bought GCT. And from what I understand the LIRR will have their own set of tracks, far underground.

9. Long Island has lots of great food, and an amazing music scene. Westchester has that too but out here it's really abundant. I used to love the beach when I was younger and would drive out to Jones all the time, but now that I live here I never go. Not the beaches fault, I've just become lazy though I love the beach huts, except for the embezzling and all that jazz. Thankfully that was settled and I got to catch a bunch of great bands on the beach this past summer. Westchester really only has Rye Beach (meh) though Playland is there which is really cool. And you can go to the beaches in CT without having to take a ferry, which is also cool.

I'll close by saying that I've met my fair share of nitwits in both locations. And I've met a my fair share of very nice folks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island