Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:18 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Why does this sound like a Rocky Point thread?
Rocky Point is too far from the beach.

There are no other affordable neighborhoods with close proximity to the ocean except for Mastic Beach and Shirley. It is the unfortunate truth that Long Islanders can't deny.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:43 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,413,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Rocky Point is too far from the beach.

There are no other affordable neighborhoods with close proximity to the ocean except for Mastic Beach and Shirley. It is the unfortunate truth that Long Islanders can't deny.
No one here is arguing how affordable it is there. The issue is no one wants to live there, hence how cheap it is.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
No one here is arguing how affordable it is there. The issue is no one wants to live there, hence how cheap it is.
We are arguing that it is one of few neighborhood by the beach, and of those neighborhoods, the only one that is affordable. And we are talking about a real beach, not West Meadow.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:06 PM

151 posts, read 133,695 times
The market isn’t clueless. You get what you pay for.

I get that you want to have faith in your town. Here on LI, there’s an interesting phenomenon where many people view their town as an extension of themselves or their personality. You must be realistic and acknowledge that there are major flaws with this section of the island. Everyone already knows what they are since they are frequently mentioned so I won’t bring them up.

I’m sure that you have great intentions by trying to prop-up your town but you may be doing more harm than good since bashers now have more opportunities to rebut your comments and trash-talk the area.

A chunk of dirt and sand along the coastline isn’t enough to make a place worth living at. Especially in a cold northeastern climate where the beach will only be usable a few months out of the year. And every year, less and less people want to be near the beach due to the massive headache surrounding floods, hurricanes and insurance. The increased focus on the compelling proof of rising sea-levels also affects desirability (regardless of which side of the debate you fall on).

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 09-26-2019 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
The market isn’t clueless. You get what you pay for.

I get that you want to have faith in your town. Here on LI, there’s an interesting phenomenon where many people view their town as an extension of themselves or their personality. You must be realistic and acknowledge that there are major flaws with this section of the island. Everyone already knows what they are since they are frequently mentioned so I won’t bring them up.

I’m sure that you have great intentions by trying to prop-up your town but you may be doing more harm than good since bashers now have more opportunities to rebut your comments and trash-talk the area.

A chunk of dirt and sand along the coastline isn’t enough to make a place worth living at. Especially in a cold northeastern climate where the beach will only be usable a few months out of the year. And every year, less and less people want to be near the beach due to the massive headache surrounding floods, hurricanes and insurance. The increased focus on the compelling proof of rising sea-levels also affects desirability (regardless of which side of the debate you fall on).
That explains the disproportionate amount of government funding it received post Sandy for infrastructure projects.

Btw...the beach is great during all season of the year.

All baymen need to be prepared for flooding. I keep a dinghy in my attic.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,687 times
Quote:
That explains the disproportionate amount of government funding it received post Sandy for infrastructure projects.
No it didn't.

Quote:
Btw...the beach is great during all season of the year.
No it isn't.

Quote:
All baymen need to be prepared for flooding.
No they don't.

Quote:
I keep a dinghy in my attic.
You sure do.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
No it didn't.

No it isn't.

No they don't.

You sure do.
You idolize me.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:26 PM

With Long Island being surrounded by water, still no one can tell me of these neighborhoods with close proximity to the beach that you don't have to be a multimillionaire to afford.

I can buy a house in Mastic Beach or Shirley for the price you pay to place solar on your house to make it ugly.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:49 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,154,368 times
Quote:
With Long Island being surrounded by water, still no one can tell me of these neighborhoods with close proximity to the beach that you don't have to be a multimillionaire to afford.

I can buy a house in Mastic Beach or Shirley for the price you pay to place solar on your house to make it ugly.
And you have to ask yourself, why is that?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:07 AM

20,104 posts, read 20,915,876 times
Alright enough about Mastic and Shirley already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island