Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times

Advertisements

I'm in South Huntington Water District - wonder if we're next. (My quarterly bill during "cooler" seasons is rarely over $8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
(My quarterly bill during "cooler" seasons is rarely over $8)

Wow, and I thought our bill was "low" by most standards, LOL!

Do you have a well that provides water for gardening, lawn, etc? But even so, I would think that just the fee for basic service for a standard 5/8" water line meter would be more than that. Or did you mean that the actual water usage (gallons) is only $8 and the meter fee etc is additional?

A typical SCWA quarterly bill will say "Basic Service 5/8" Meter" for $20something and then a separate line is for Usage (X number of CCF at $1.whatever per CCF) which is for how much water you actually used. So even if no water at all was used, there would still be that Basic Service fee. Just like PSEG charges for the meter/service even if no electricity at all was used during that billing cycle.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Wow, and I thought our bill was "low" by most standards, LOL!

Do you have a well that provides water for gardening, lawn, etc? But even so, I would think that just the fee for basic service for a standard 5/8" water line meter would be more than that. Or did you mean that the actual water usage (gallons) is only $8 and the meter fee etc is additional?

A typical SCWA quarterly bill will say "Basic Service 5/8" Meter" for $20something and then a separate line is for Usage (X number of CCF at $1.whatever per CCF) which is for how much water you actually used. So even if no water at all was used, there would still be that Basic Service fee. Just like PSEG charges for the meter/service even if no electricity at all was used during that billing cycle.
SH wd its $8 min per quarter that covers up to 10k gallons. It’s 0.80 per 1k gallons the next tier isn’t until you hit over 50k. Might be the lowest rates on LI. My house has them and the bill is $8 also.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM

So you and Elke pay less than $50/year for water? That's mind boggling.

Newsday did an article on the different water districts' rates this past August. According to their Lowest and Highest Ten, SH came in at the tenth lowest "annual estimate" (whatever that means) but still over $300/yr.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...cts-1.34948600

They also say elsewhere in the article that 10,000 gals is the "average for a family of four". I don't usually keep my water bills but I should be getting one in the next week or so and will report back, LOL

One interesting info-bit in that Newsday piece is this:

While most districts use conventional measurements, such as gallons of water, to bill their customers, others — such as Garden City — calculate their rates in cubic feet of water, making it nearly impossible for ratepayers to understand what they're paying for, Esposito said. A bill, sponsored by Sen. Todd Kaminsky and signed into law last year by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, would require water districts with 10,000 or more customers to specify their water usage in gallons by January 2020.

Because SCWA supplies water to 80% of Long Islanders, that means they will have to show their per-gallon pricing starting next month... if they don't already. To be honest, the only thing I really notice on my bills has been the bottom line, lol.

I guess the SCWA Basic Service/Meter Fee pays for the testing facilities, treatment plants and upgrades etc. I did look on the SH web site to see what they test for; looks like a total of 235 contaminants. SCWA currently tests for 400 contaminants.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
[quote=BBCjunkie;56810309]So you and Elke pay less than $50/year for water? That's mind boggling. QUOTE]

I’ll pay a bit more I’m only part time in the house rite now my consumption is low. Based on my last place I will probably pay $70 per year same bill in my old district was $165. SCWA isn’t even in my area, it’s either SH or Dix hills water. The connection fees for SHWD are insanely high.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:49 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
I'm going to start out with buying gallon jugs at Aldi's (least expensive I have found to date) and take it from there...

Good Spelling Bee words to use though....

Per Flouro Octane Sulfonic Acid

Per Flouro Octanoic Acid

Old 12-08-2019, 03:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I'm going to start out with buying gallon jugs at Aldi's (least expensive I have found to date) and take it from there...

Good Spelling Bee words to use though....

Per Flouro Octane Sulfonic Acid

Per Flouro Octanoic Acid
Are those Aldi’s jugs spring water, distilled water or drinking water? For all you know if the latter they could be filled somewhere local. No guarantees.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Clarification for cost of smaller water districts (as opposed to Suffolk County Water Authority - SCWA):

If you are in the SCWA district, your individual bills reflect your total cost.
If you are not in the SCWA district, you will have a line item amount for your specific water district on your annual tax bill (amount varies with your assessment - here's another way to save $$ by grieving!).
In my case, it's $125/yr, plus usual annual (billed quarterly) total of rarely more than $50 - still a bargain!

Why this is so, I don't know, just know it is

This holds true for Suffolk County!

Old 12-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Clarification for cost of smaller water districts (as opposed to Suffolk County Water Authority - SCWA):

If you are in the SCWA district, your individual bills reflect your total cost.
If you are not in the SCWA district, you will have a line item amount for your specific water district on your annual tax bill (amount varies with your assessment - here's another way to save $$ by grieving!).
In my case, it's $125/yr, plus usual annual (billed quarterly) total of rarely more than $50
Elke, thank you SO much for clarifying that!! It had been bugging me how any small water district could possibly operate on such a low per-gallon rate without there being an additional source of revenue for the maintenance of infrastructure as well. You have just explained how. :-)

So you (and your fellow South Huntington Water District customers) have an actual total cost for your water of between $175 and $200 per year ($125 via your tax bill plus another $50just for the water you used.) That's pretty much exactly the same as many SCWA customers -- depending on their water usage, of course. My annual water cost has always been between $130 and $150 until last year (2018) when it was $160, but I probably use less water than most customers because of having no inground sprinklers or swimming pool. That said, I do also "waste" a lot of water in several other ways and so it probably comes out to not much difference between me and the 'average' SCWA water customer in the long run.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Still a joke compared to NY American rates.
They are crooks. When I lived in Nassau, the moment they took over my bill tripled. Went from years of paying around 50 a quarter to over 50 a momth. Man did that pess me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island