Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else received an email from SCWA stating all bills will increase by $20.00 every quarter to fund new contaminant treatment facilities?

Apparently emerging contaminants Perflourooctanoic Acid (PFOA), Perflourooctanesulfonic Acid (PFOS), and I-4 Dioxane are in our water thanks to polluting manufacturers...

The treatment facilities are expected to cost 177 million plus dollars...

What's next? Another email that states we all must legally have our names changed to Ben Dover...?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 04:47 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
I got the email too. Thought that the increase was too steep imo. $80 a year per house is a lot of $$$. Hope they get audited.

There are usually govt grants for these type of projects.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
The $80 is the least of your concerns. Invest in one of those really expensive whole house water filters.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
What time line are they providing to implement these extra treatment's? A 177 million estimate now can be double by the time they choose to move forward with the upgrade.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The $80 is the least of your concerns. Invest in one of those really expensive whole house water filters.
Doesn’t have to be expensive. I got a large 3 filter system for around $400 on Amazon. The install is the bigger issue depending on if a handyman can do it or you need a plumber.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Doesn’t have to be expensive. I got a large 3 filter system for around $400 on Amazon. The install is the bigger issue depending on if a handyman can do it or you need a plumber.
Even the less expensive versions might be costly in the long run with filter changes/maintenance, etc. Might just be easier to get one of those office type coolers with the big jugs, or buy gallons at supermarket...

Old 12-07-2019, 11:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Water was one of the last bargains here. My bill runs about $60 per quarter, so this amounts to a 33% increase.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Even the less expensive versions might be costly in the long run with filter changes/maintenance, etc. Might just be easier to get one of those office type coolers with the big jugs, or buy gallons at supermarket...
For municipal water a filter change is like $100 a year. And as it covers the whole house you don’t have to worry about breathing in stuff in the shower, etc.

Even if a 5 gallon jug is say $5, it‘ll likely cost more per year.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:01 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Water was one of the last bargains here. My bill runs about $60 per quarter, so this amounts to a 33% increase.
Even bigger increase here: My typical water bill is only $40 per quarter, except for the one I get in Sept which is usually between $45 and $50 depending on whether we got a scorching heat wave and so I needed to water some of the newer plants. So the upcoming $20 increase will be essentially a 50% one for me.

No inground pool or inground sprinklers here. With the exception of the aforementioned occasional heat wave, the plants and grass need to survive just on what Nature provides. It does help that lawn area is a mixture of grass, clover, violets and some other wild plants. It does get mowed, but not watered or fertilized.

It's all relative though. I have friends in California and also in several southern states who have to accept $100/month water bills as a fact of life and can't believe our water has been so cheap and plentiful.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 12-07-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 12:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
A family member has been talking about getting a whole house filter, and I mentioned that to our plumber when he came by the other day for something else. Plumber's response was "Tell them not to waste their money. Whole house filters need constant maintenance to keep them operating properly. The salesman will say you only need to change the filters once a year, which is b.s. because they need swapping out every 3 months max. And if your water pressure isn't great to begin with, the filter will only make it worse."

We've had Doulton point of use filters at the kitchen sink in every house since the late 1990s. Ceramic filter which I clean once a month (takes 10 minutes) and replace every other year (based on usage) for $35:

https://www.discountfilterstore.com/...-w9123053.html

All drinking and cooking water gets filtered by that. The filter itself costs between $120 and $160 depending on what model you choose. The only maintenance is the filter cartridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island